House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Boom Boom

Things Are Grim For It Workers In Liverpool

http://liverpool.gumtree.com/liverpool/66/64261366.html

So that's an entry level' position, yet requires 3 years experience, and a significant skill base.You'd be better off taking a 16k call centre job, less stress and no more tedious.

I have seen similar jobs in Wales offering less. In many public sector jobs in Wales IT is on an admin level payscale.

So that's an entry level' position, yet requires 3 years experience, and a significant skill base.You'd be better off taking a 16k call centre job, less stress and no more tedious.

I don't understand an entry level job that needs 1-3 years experience either. But it's a pretty menial position, installing Windows and so on, very much the kind of role a school leaver could learn on-the-job. It would probably lead to a better one if you were willing to learn. Whereas a call centre job is not likely to lead to much.

I have seen similar jobs in Wales offering less. In many public sector jobs in Wales IT is on an admin level payscale.

Which would be about right. Unless you're programming & scripting then desktop support / network administration is a matter of reading the manual and common sense. Somebody who's bright can pick it up and do it fairly readily; the best non-programmer in my co. was in a non-IT junior role before moving into computers and has no IT qualifications. I even did AS400 admin for a while because there was nobody else to do it but I'm not an IT person.

And I would add that a good (non-IT) administrator who spots and sorts out problems is like gold dust and I am perpetually disappointed come appraisal time that I am not allowed to pay one excellent admin more money because they are already at the top of their pretty low pay scale. I would find them very difficult to replace if they left.

Edited by Frank Hovis

18-20k for a first line job in Liverpool?

Seems like an excellent offer to me

You could buy a whole street on that salary and still have enough for a back-hander to the local Councillor to have it renamed after yourself.

18-20k for a first line job in Liverpool?

Seems like an excellent offer to me

I don't think it's that bad either. I bet you'd find worse examples if you could be bothered to look.

Edited by Kyoto

I went on a track day once with a group of Lotus Elise owners, i thought then they were MASSIVELY over charge for something that should be quite cheap...............the rest of the world now thinks so as well!

Mike

http://liverpool.gum...6/64261366.html

20k pa is alright. Sometimes I get adverts for senior J2EE architects in London for 40-50k ....

Liverpool, 4 weeks of training ... anybody can do this simple job ... 20k is alright

Sloppy advert in direct breach of employment equality (age) 2006 regs. As some have already stated, this job could be done by a newbie. The imposition of a specific number of years experience is merely to control the age of applicants.

Someone should be shot. There is a small number of people who make a living out of applying for jobs they have no intention of getting knowing they can live well on the compensation payout for discrimination. If i was one of those people, I would keep an eye on adverts from this agency!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/yourbusiness/6637488/Lawyers-team-up-to-fight-fake-age-discrimination-claims.html

Edited by Caveat Mortgagor

You could buy a whole street on that salary and still have enough for a back-hander to the local Councillor to have it renamed after yourself.

Funnily enough...

melly_road.jpg

(named after a relative - a liverpool liberal mp iirc - in the 19th century)

post-17279-12851481227781_thumb.jpg

True story: We had a desktop apps guy, late 20s, in our office around 1998-99. Fairly bright. Left to tke a new job as the pay, according to him, was poor. I reckon he was on 22K / year.

What did he do? Setup his own balloon selling business. Selling kiddies balloons at funfairs, in the streets etc. The sort of Disney, Pixar characters on a string.

Has never looked back, according to him. Flexible hours. And as most of his pay is in cash, he reckoned he was quids in. (don't agree with this last part, btw).

Made me think then that IT was finally doomed at the low-end of the market. :ph34r:

True story: We had a desktop apps guy, late 20s, in our office around 1998-99. Fairly bright. Left to tke a new job as the pay, according to him, was poor. I reckon he was on 22K / year.

What did he do? Setup his own balloon selling business. Selling kiddies balloons at funfairs, in the streets etc. The sort of Disney, Pixar characters on a string.

Haha I'm not sure what it's like these days but around 10 years ago I think they were selling them for 1-1.50 PER balloon. And they were just normal balloons without any animal shapes. I remember once asking my parents why they were so expensive and my mum said the helium in the balloon must cost a lot to use and I was too young to know otherwise at the time.

Those guys must have made a fortune.

Are you saying that the private sector pays less than the public sector for the same job role?

Do you understand that this site operates on the belief that public sector jobs are ALL overpaid?

Are you saying that the private sector pays more than the public sector for the same job role?

Do you understand that this site operates on the belief that public sector jobs are ALL overpaid?