House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SleepyHead

Wall Street Money Never Sleeps

Would love to know the real reasons its release was delayed so much in this country... election ?, economy ? etc etc.

who was pulling the strings and what was said ?

Probably my favourite film of all time and with sooooo many great quotes:

"Lunch is for wimps"

"If you need a friend, get a dog"

"Greed is good".....

Plus "Money never sleeps" of course.

It was so 'of it's time', with brilliant characters, highly memorable scenes, red braces, huge mobile phones etc....

The scene in the back of the limo where Bud Fox is doing Coke with a hooker is classic, as is the "I'm gonna make you rich Bud Fox" scene where Gecko is walking on the beach.

There is no way on earth that the new movie can possibly match the above, because that era doesn't exist any more. I'm sure the movie will be good, but I have a strong feeling it won't be one that I'm still watching in 20 years time.

Probably my favourite film of all time and with sooooo many great quotes:

"Lunch is for wimps"

"If you need a friend, get a dog"

"Greed is good".....

Plus "Money never sleeps" of course.

It was so 'of it's time', with brilliant characters, highly memorable scenes, red braces, huge mobile phones etc....

The scene in the back of the limo where Bud Fox is doing Coke with a hooker is classic, as is the "I'm gonna make you rich Bud Fox" scene where Gecko is walking on the beach.

There is no way on earth that the new movie can possibly match the above, because that era doesn't exist any more. I'm sure the movie will be good, but I have a strong feeling it won't be one that I'm still watching in 20 years time.

I agree that this new film probably won't have the impact the first one had.

But the first Wall Street was misunderstood really. Many people were so impressed by Gordon Gekko and his "greed is good" mantra that they ignored the message of film, which was that destroying the "productive ?" airline business was counter productive. The union workers need the financiers, and the financiers need the workers.

This new film will probably have a more difficult message than the first. It won't be as black and white.

Good to see Oliver Stone mention Sub-prime and Credit Default Swaps in his narrative though. I hope he really shines a light on the "rigged" market capitalism we have today.

I agree that this new film probably won't have the impact the first one had.

But the first Wall Street was misunderstood really. Many people were so impressed by Gordon Gekko and his "greed is good" mantra that they ignored the message of film, which was that destroying the "productive ?" airline business was counter productive. The union workers need the financiers, and the financiers need the workers.

This new film will probably have a more difficult message than the first. It won't be as black and white.

Good to see Oliver Stone mention Sub-prime and Credit Default Swaps in his narrative though. I hope he really shines a light on the "rigged" market capitalism we have today.

Like the book 'Liars Poker' became a manual and not a warning...

I think the Original Wall Street caught the mood of the nation at the time.

I remember "relating" to it all the way through, the money, the success, the "I wish I had done this earlier" feeling.

All ended in tears though...just like in the movie.

This one seems to be about 3 years too late....or maybe they have moved the mood to suit todays situation.

Like the book 'Liars Poker' became a manual and not a warning...

True dat. The Godfather (I and II) is one of the most popular films of all time too and the protagonist is a cold blooded killer who lies to his wife.

"I tell you what: you stop telling lies about me and I'll stop telling the truth about you." Classic line? Time will tell.

I agree Michael Douglas created something special with his heavily Ivan Boesky referenced portrayal in the 80s.

boesky_ivan.jpg

No questions? nothing?

Apologies. Didn't notice someone had seen it already.

What did you think? Did they go into the subprime, CDS, federal reserve stuff much.

PS I intend on watching it myself when it comes out, so don't give away too much of the plot! Thanks

It was okay - certainly better than a lot of dross that has been out recently but far from Stone's best. Excellent performances from Douglas and Langella and I didn't want to beat Shia LaBoeuf into a bloody pulp (a first for me). The fiancee is cute but has one look the entire film.

Story-wise, it tries to weave too much of real events into it and it feels strained. If they had just taken one strand and focussed on that, they could have had something special.

On the banking and product technicalities, they kept it low level enough for non-insiders to get what was going on without the equivalent of Ewan McGregor's coffee analogy in Rogue Trader.

Oh, and watch out for the world's most annoying ringtone.

All in all, you'll see worse films this year, you'll have seen better.

It never sleeps trying to think up yet another fraudulent scheme or working out how to finagle a way out off the latest crooked scam - and as for trying to work out where the note is.

There is no way on earth that the new movie can possibly match the above, because that era doesn't exist any more.

Yeah, we're all a lot greedier these days... including the bankers. The 80s was child's play compared to the last decade.