House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
scrappycocco

Blanchflower Says Savers Can Protect Themselves

On the Jeff Randle segment on sky news reference was made to a Professor Blanchflower about ignoring inflation and savers being able to protect themselves with index linked products. What are these index linked products? I would very much like to protect my savings every month from inflation that this blanchflowers says we should ignore.

National Counties Building Society are doing something, but I think you're locked in for 5 years. Also read in the ft a while ago that M&G had started some sort of new index-linked bonds, but unlike NS&I that would involve credit risk (of both M&G and the underlying bonds) so not the same risk at all. There may be other funds/indices, but basically savers are stuffed and I have nothing polite to say about the BoE and their assertions.

Unfortunatly the BOE and its "advisors" are imo a bunch of plonkers who have frankly no idea on how to sort out this mess, all they can do is trot out politically correct statements of factual doubt.

The government sells debt in the form of index linked gilts linked to the RPI. These are sold to institutional investors who could base financial products on them. NCBS may be doing this or they may simply have some kind of futures contract based on the RPI over 5 years.

Edited by davidg

but basically savers are stuffed and I have nothing polite to say about the BoE and their assertions.

Scum King said 18 months ago that "savers will be sacrificed as rates fall" , about the only prediction the inept **** has got right .............

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/savings/4592271/Mervyn-King-suggests-savers-will-be-sacrificed-as-rates-fall.html

Edited by grey shark

Blanchflower Says Savers Can Protect Themselves

"Protect Themselves"? That sounds familiar.

Surely Blanchflower can't be cgnao's "dark side"?

darkhalf1992.jpg

Index linked savings are all very well, if you trust the inflation figures.