House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mooving

Am I Crazy To Consider Living On Isle Of Dogs?

Hi there,

I have been offered a job in Canary Wharf (yes at a bank). I don't fancy commuting two hours per day (each way) to where I live and am toying with the idea of living right in the centre of London with my wife and four kids.

Areas I'm considering are:

• Isle of Dogs itself somewhere south of Canary Wharf
  • Bermondsey (near Canada Water tube)
  • Greenwich

I can afford up to £600 per week but would like to pay around £500 after haggling, and would like a 4/5 bedroom place. Am I totally raving mad to consider this? I thought it would be great for the family to experience London and all the culture that it offers. However I don't want to be stabbed/mugged/burgled/intimidated by chavs or yobbos.

Would love to hear from someone with a family that actually lives in these areas. We would likely not send the kids to the local schools, so schools are not a consideration.

Hi there,

I have been offered a job in Canary Wharf (yes at a bank). I don't fancy commuting two hours per day (each way) to where I live and am toying with the idea of living right in the centre of London with my wife and four kids.

Areas I'm considering are:

• Isle of Dogs itself somewhere south of Canary Wharf

• Bermondsey (near Canada Water tube)

• Greenwich

I can afford up to £600 per week but would like to pay around £500 after haggling, and would like a 4/5 bedroom place. Am I totally raving mad to consider this? I thought it would be great for the family to experience London and all the culture that it offers. However I don't want to be stabbed/mugged/burgled/intimidated by chavs or yobbos.

Would love to hear from someone with a family that actually lives in these areas. We would likely not send the kids to the local schools, so schools are not a consideration.

I work at a law firm in the wharf. Previously was living in Hither Green/Lee, just south of Blackheath. A little nondescript, completely unfashionable, but in my view very pleasant place to live - very good area for young professionals/families on good but not silly salaries. We had a 3 bed semi which we sold for 315 start of 09, probably back around 330 now. We then rented in the hither green/manor park conservation area for about 6 months paying 2100 a month for a 5 bed edwardian semi (top floor a bit poky mind) with a 60ft garden. Really loved it with wonderful little park 5 minutes walk away. Look at Handen Road and Micheldever Road. Greenwich can be pretty good too and is ideal for the wharf but although the lovely bits are lovely and close to the bars/cafes ete, there are some grotty bits too. The lovely bits can be v v expensive. Isle of Dogs is OKish now - you're not crazy by any means as its full of professional working in the city - still it seems a bit soulless to me and lacking in greenery. not so keen on bermondsey but then again dont know it well, I'm sure there are nice bits dotted around but never really seen them driving through (save for exec flats along the riverside).

I now commute in from the deepest reaches of kent; work at home on thursdays; stay somewhere cheap mondays and tuesdays. Works out brilliantly and have a house which would cost about 4 times as much in London. If I had stayed in london I would have stayed in Hither Green. Some parts of Ladywell/New Cross can be good too.

I have moved around the area for 20 years, renting and owning, while working in the City or Docklands. I always had trouble getting up and hated commuting, so I always lived nearby.

The Isle of Dogs is very low lying and downwind of London so the air pollution is bad and asthma is a big problem for children in the area. It is the same on the low lying parts of Greenwich. It gets very hot and humid down by the river in summer. I also don't want to live beneath sea level in London as one day there is going to be a disaster. On Spring tides with a good wind the river gets right up to the top of the river wall. To give you an idea of how serious this is, the new flats have wash-through ground floors - effectively they're on concrete stilts

The best family areas nearby are 15 mins on the DLR to Greenwich Cutty Sark or Lewisham. From either walk up the hill to the western side of Blackheath heath (not the 'village' named after the heath), for fresh air, gardens, parking, and family living. Try Dartmouth Road and Royal Hill. If you're prepared to walk then the East side of Greenwich park is also nice around Vanbrugh. The cheapest nice place is the Hilly Fields area in Ladywell. It is a good deal cheaper than the western end of Blackheath heath but similar area. Lewisham town centre is horrible, but just beyond it on either side are the richest parts of the borough.

Some people like Bermondsey, but its mainly flats rather than family houses. You can get the boat across from the Hilton hotel very easily.

I'd recommend avoiding Deptford and New Cross. You can always get somewhere nicer and cleaner for the same money.

Hither Green, Lee, and Blackheath are all a bit of a trek (or bus ride), to get to the DLR.

I work at a law firm in the wharf. Previously was living in Hither Green/Lee, just south of Blackheath. A little nondescript, completely unfashionable, but in my view very pleasant place to live - very good area for young professionals/families on good but not silly salaries. We had a 3 bed semi which we sold for 315 start of 09, probably back around 330 now. We then rented in the hither green/manor park conservation area for about 6 months paying 2100 a month for a 5 bed edwardian semi (top floor a bit poky mind) with a 60ft garden. Really loved it with wonderful little park 5 minutes walk away. Look at Handen Road and Micheldever Road. Greenwich can be pretty good too and is ideal for the wharf but although the lovely bits are lovely and close to the bars/cafes ete, there are some grotty bits too. The lovely bits can be v v expensive. Isle of Dogs is OKish now - you're not crazy by any means as its full of professional working in the city - still it seems a bit soulless to me and lacking in greenery. not so keen on bermondsey but then again dont know it well, I'm sure there are nice bits dotted around but never really seen them driving through (save for exec flats along the riverside).

I now commute in from the deepest reaches of kent; work at home on thursdays; stay somewhere cheap mondays and tuesdays. Works out brilliantly and have a house which would cost about 4 times as much in London. If I had stayed in london I would have stayed in Hither Green. Some parts of Ladywell/New Cross can be good too.

Interesting - I had never considered living part-time in London and living the rest of the time outside. This is a real possibility, I could work from home 2 or 3 days a week outside of London and get a place for 1 or 2 nights a week near Canary Wharf. Do you know if that's possible - I'd need just a room one or two nights a week with internet access. I know this screams of "hotel" but I wouldn't really want to pay hotel rates and I'd like to be right near the Wharf.

Thanks for your reply, it's a great help.

Interesting - I had never considered living part-time in London and living the rest of the time outside. This is a real possibility, I could work from home 2 or 3 days a week outside of London and get a place for 1 or 2 nights a week near Canary Wharf. Do you know if that's possible - I'd need just a room one or two nights a week with internet access. I know this screams of "hotel" but I wouldn't really want to pay hotel rates and I'd like to be right near the Wharf.

Thanks for your reply, it's a great help.

I crash in cheap travel lodges booked many months in advance. Normally get them for 20-30 a night, sometimes less. Stay Mon and Tue go home wednesday evening and work home thursday. Friday go in and out. Bit worred about inflation re hotel prices but figure i'll work it out. I drive in - so worst case scenario I sleep in the car. But I doubt it'll ever come to that. If you get past the daily commuter belt to the edge of kent (i live in Dover) you can get some fantastic places. Commute is about an hour and a half. I'm leaving now and will be back for 8. Tomorrow will be ACE as I'll be reviewing documents in the garden. Monday Tuiesday evenings I see clients/friends. You'll need an understanding wife and boss that's happy for you to work at home (both should be straightforward if you deliver big house/performance respectively). No one needs to be in an office all week in 2010 and I suspect that when people realise this prices in the fringe will hold up and prices in london will crash. That's my view anyway.