House Price Crash Forum
Mayalabeille

Cornwall Council Or How To Give Free Money To Landlords

This is the first time I start a thread sorry if it is not done right.

I don't know if this has been posted yet but I just arriv at work, made my coffee, went to read the news and :

http://bbc.in/b6VmyQ

Free money for landlords in Cornwall.

They could tax them, they could at least ask thm to pay their council tax, but hoooo nooo we would not want to upset th rich londoners spending their money in Cornwall so why not give them money to repair their house and then ask the locals to finance their lifestyle / holiday / other mortgage and investment in renting their property.

"Edited for spelling"

Edited by Mayalabeille

It is worse than that

"The council said a loan system would also be introduced to help landlords and empty property owners bring the properties up to the standard required."

means upto the standard required to place council tenants in and pay the landlords their guaranteed weekly figure. Seems like a great time to buy a BTL in cornwall, the council will fix it up for you and then get you a tenant and pay their rent.

This is the first time I start a thread sorry if it is not done right.

I don't know if this has been posted yet but I just arriv at work, made my coffee, went to read the news and :

http://bbc.in/b6VmyQ

Free money for landlords in Cornwall.

They could tax them, they could at least ask thm to pay their council tax, but hoooo nooo we would not want to upset th rich londoners spending their money in Cornwall so why not give them money to repair their house and then ask the locals to finance their lifestyle / holiday / other mortgage and investment in renting their property.

"Edited for spelling"

I agree, a property tax would be a much better way to rationalise the market.

And it would not increasing spending.

Though it should not be allowed to increase total tax levels either. It should be compensated by a tax reduction elsewhere, preferably for the working poor, such as increasing the threshold for NI or income tax. (The LibDems are right on this point.)

because history would indicate that's an even worse waste of cash.

Better than putting their cash in IceSave.

If it makes sense for an individual, how can it not make sense for the council, with economies of scale?

I thought that every council in the country gives grants to landlords to do up their run down properties...?

It has always seemed a bad idea - if they can't manage to do it themselves remove the property from their ownership and pass it into council stock.

have you had much to do with your local council?

project like this will have a few bods approving the cash.

start buying and repairing the pay roll will go through the roof.and once they're on the books,there's no getting rid of them.

I know, I was being naive :) They would probably do up a four bed, give it to a taxi driver, who will then see them in court for fifteen years.