House Price Crash Forum

Motorists And Holidaymakers Face 'green Tax' Rise Of £800

OnlyMe

HOLA441

A permanent holiday away from this country would be cool.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/liberaldemocrats/8014722/Motorists-and-holidaymakers-face-green-tax-rise-of-800.html

Motorists and holidaymakers face 'green tax' rise of £800

Motorists and holidaymakers face paying hundreds of pounds a year more in green taxes to help low earners, Chris Huhne has signalled.

Rosa Prince, Political Correspondent

Published: 10:19PM BST 20 Sep 2010

Motorists and holidaymakers face 'green tax' rise of £800

At present, most of the money from green taxes - around £26 billion - comes through fuel duty Photo: CORBIS

The Energy Secretary backed plans to increase environmental levies by £15 billion to free hundreds of thousands of people from income tax.

He is already drawing up proposals for the proportion of government revenue raised by environmental taxes to jump from 7.7 per cent to 10 per cent within five years, from £35 billion annually to around £50 billion.

The increase is equivalent to an extra £800 from every taxpayer.

HOLA442

..The Energy Secretary backed plans to increase environmental levies by £15 billion to free hundreds of thousands of people from income tax.

It seems to be the way things are going. I've already started to associate the environment with tax/work. I don't know if it's some subconscious thing the powers have been drip feeding us, but I hear the word Environmnet and no longer think pleasant things like a flower meadow or a spring lamb. I see the taxman sheaved in grey. :unsure:

HOLA443