Because We're Worth It - Public Sector Pay

exiges

HOLA441
  • Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Details of public sector pay, including the 9,187 employees who earn more than the prime minister, are revealed in a Panorama investigation. Tonight BBC1 - 8:30pm

Looks interesting, but I'm surprised its only 9,000.

I wonder just how many earn above the national average

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Is the prime Minister underpaid then ?.

Wonder how many private sector employees get paid more than the PM, just to try & get some sort of context from this latest media crap

then public sector workers will have no objection to taking up well paid private sector positions then will they

unless they're sh*t

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

More media nonsense.

The effect of cutting rewards at the top will mean a lack of incentive to perform. There are a number of immeasurably less important jobs that pay more than many of these doctors, headteachers etc.

I know so many IT contractors, bankers, lawyers that add little to society and get paid a lot more than any in the public sector.

This program and most of what is in the media on this subject is so blindly and obviously bias it just suits many of the people on this boards opinion so they choose to like this particularly piece of propaganda.

I work as an IT contractor and get paid more than the average secondary Headteacher (around 75k), is this fair, not really in my opinion. I left teaching because the pay was crap and the stress at the top would no way = the stress.

This business of earning more than the PM is a farce when the PM makes more on renting out his house than he does for his salary. Boris Johnson would dismiss this salary as 'chicken feed.'

This is the next phase in the super rich clamping down on the middle and the poor classes.

We are fighting against each other due to this latest clever effort.

We need to be fighting for higher living standards for all private and public sector. Stop offshoring jobs, stop letting the bankers rob from us and reinvest in green technology and manufacturing to help a sick economy grow again. Anything else is smoke and mirrors.

DY

Edited by desperate young

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I'm not watching but I'd guess that over half that total are doctors?

RBS staff and so on presumably don't count as "public sector"?

Correct. The RBS point is a good one but it's like we've said here before

can't we manage both? Why is it always "well the bailed out bankers get this" so

therefore it's justified. Lets cap both sectors.

Now BBC spokesperson squirming and using keywords and phrases to defend her organisations stupid salary scales.

HOLA4413

Sorry these public servants like a lot of CEOs seem to think that they can claim credit when things are working and just shrug off bad news when they mess up. Locally I’ve seen them cynically turn off street lights to provoke outrage, do they think that the public haven’t ever heard of the “Washington Monument effect” what prize muppets.

When you look at the payroll of local authorities they’ve expanded in the last fifteen years despite outsourcing all sorts of their services. They have now generated figures that show how more efficient they are but only have excuses for their ever expanding payroll.

I notice that the Beeb have chosen to show this now rather than after the spending review. Bet then they’ll be cries to cut these fat cats.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

would suggest you don't buy their services, then it won't be a problem will it

I would love to do without their services (maybe not the IT contractors :) )You are forced to buy their services they hold monopolies in the same way that the public sector do. All jobs in today's society are interconnected public versus private is irrelevent. Good to see you have fallen for the hype.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I would love to do without their services (maybe not the IT contractors :) )You are forced to buy their services they hold monopolies in the same way that the public sector do. All jobs in today's society are interconnected public versus private is irrelevent. Good to see you have fallen for the hype.

8ollox

HOLA4419

More media nonsense.

The effect of cutting rewards at the top will mean a lack of incentive to perform. There are a number of immeasurably less important jobs that pay more than many of these doctors, headteachers etc.

I know so many IT contractors, bankers, lawyers that add little to society and get paid a lot more than any in the public sector.

This program and most of what is in the media on this subject is so blindly and obviously bias it just suits many of the people on this boards opinion so they choose to like this particularly piece of propaganda.

I work as an IT contractor and get paid more than the average secondary Headteacher (around 75k), is this fair, not really in my opinion. I left teaching because the pay was crap and the stress at the top would no way = the stress.

This business of earning more than the PM is a farce when the PM makes more on renting out his house than he does for his salary. Boris Johnson would dismiss this salary as 'chicken feed.'

This is the next phase in the super rich clamping down on the middle and the poor classes.

We are fighting against each other due to this latest clever effort.

We need to be fighting for higher living standards for all private and public sector. Stop offshoring jobs, stop letting the bankers rob from us and reinvest in green technology and manufacturing to help a sick economy grow again. Anything else is smoke and mirrors.

DY

Simiar to the private sector, despite the huge benefits there is little incentive to perform and little correlation between performance and reward. There is a self serving merry go round of so called 'leaders' who deliver little material benefit with each appointment. Often the most inept often receive the most money to quietly disappear without drawing attention to themselves, before resurfacing somewhere else with glowing references.

The difference is that shareholders can look out for themselves and vote with their feet - the public sector should not be involved in an arms race to outpay the excesses of the private sector. They raise their money not from shareholders but from forced taxation taken out of nurses pay.

Higher living standards for everybody? No. Fairer living standards. And £100k doctors and headtechers, £250k Chief Constables paid from taxes isn't the way.

HOLA4420

8ollox

Excellent response. The problem with this forum, is that many people on here are bitter about something in the world and come up with reasons why. this is how we define ourselves, against the 'other'.

I guess Bloo, that like you I should hate the public sector, I have no dependents, pay for private health care/pension, etc. However, unless you are one of the people at the top then you and I are both being played by forces we do not fully understand. Some of these salaries do seem strange, but not all of them and the PMs salary is a so obviously played piece of propaganda.

HOLA4421

total nonsense

HOLA4422

Excellent response. The problem with this forum, is that many people on here are bitter about something in the world and come up with reasons why. this is how we define ourselves, against the 'other'.

I guess Bloo, that like you I should hate the public sector, I have no dependents, pay for private health care/pension, etc. However, unless you are one of the people at the top then you and I are both being played by forces we do not fully understand. Some of these salaries do seem strange, but not all of them and the PMs salary is a so obviously played piece of propaganda.

I dont hate the public sector. I worked IN IT for years. I deal with it today. I have friends working there NOW.

the money is gone...we CANT AFFORD The luxury of paying people so much....they will take us ALL DOWN.

50% OFF all public sector salaries above 25K is my mantra.

thats for starters....

HOLA4423

Simiar to the private sector, despite the huge benefits there is little incentive to perform and little correlation between performance and reward. There is a self serving merry go round of so called 'leaders' who deliver little material benefit with each appointment. Often the most inept often receive the most money to quietly disappear without drawing attention to themselves, before resurfacing somewhere else with glowing references.

The difference is that shareholders can look out for themselves and vote with their feet - the public sector should not be involved in an arms race to outpay the excesses of the private sector. They raise their money not from shareholders but from forced taxation taken out of nurses pay.

Higher living standards for everybody? No. Fairer living standards. And £100k doctors and headtechers, £250k Chief Constables paid from taxes isn't the way.

Thanks for this useful response, rather than some of the blind rage on here!

I agree in some cases there is a need for some more accountability. In most cases I do not agree. I have seen both private and public sector organisations. I honestly believe there is far more accountability in the public sector ie governors of schools, trustees of hospitals. On the other hand private sector bosses with distant and removed shareholders are not very involved, I have seen more than one CEO vote himself a huge pay rise, this would not happen in the public sector, outside of the bbc it could not happen. Are you guys honestly blind to this, no. You are just looking after number one, which is your right, it is not however conducive to a modern and progressive society.

(Think about it throughout history the best respected people were the leaders,doctors, warriors, teachers, it is natural they should be rewarded today)

HOLA4424
HOLA4425