House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flyers, Charity Bags And Begging Letters

Our letter box is continually stuffed with charity collection bags (3 a week at least), flyers selling windows conservatories and block paving (had a guy selling this round a couple of hours ago), offer leaflets from at least 3 local supermarkets, along with innumerable begging letters from various charities. Just had a fully uniformed bird from the sally army around asking for stuff - fit, you would have.

Is it me or is there getting to be more of this shit about? It's beginning to hack me off to be honest. I don't object to people asking for donations for good cause but the sheer volume of this stuff is becoming an annoyance lately.

Think I'm going to save it all for a month and see how much shit I collect.

Theres big money in second hand clothes. Very little of it actually gets to a charity shop nowadays.

I know a guy who runs a firm that get several wagons worth a week in. The good stuff is sent to Eater Europe for resale. The stuff thats not good enough quality for the Poles etc gets sent to India. Anyhting too poor quality to even sell in India is sent to Africa. And sold.

I'd actualy like to know the forums opinion in this. A small percentage does go to charity to keep the charity number, but its obvious most people think theyre giving clothes to be sold in the ocal Oxfam or whatever. Little do they know it all goes to quite a rich man with a nice big house and posh car!

So then moralisers, is this sort of businesss fair game?

So then moralisers, is this sort of businesss fair game?

No, not really.

I read about the bag collecting and where most of the clothes end up a few years ago and now just bin the bags, etc that they push through the door.

I just take any surplus clothing down to a local charity shop personally. Easy, and you can see the stuff on sale so you know it didn't get snaffled by some crafty company.

I get about 2 or 3 Charity bags and 10 Takeaway flyers a week here..definitely gone up. As a volunteer in a Charity Shop,we're always glad of people donating the plastic charity bags to us(it saves money on black bin bags we'd otherwise have to buy to wrap up large items.) Most charity shops are able to recycle unsaleable(damaged) clothing and shoes,but check first before lugging your bags down to the High Street. Most clothing flyers through the door are for businesses..if there's no Charity number on the bottom,it's a business.

I had an RSPCA 'chugger' knock on my door a while ago. Small young woman with an American accent in an RSPCA bib. Virtually accused me of not being an animal-lover because I wouldn't sign a d/d form.

I use the spy hole nowadays and for the first time in my life, I've started ignoring them and refusing to answer the door to many cold callers.

Definite rise on the so-called charity bags round here, and the b****y tatters with their off-key recorded trumpeting CD are getting more frequent. 2 or 3 per DAY sometimes. I'd rather burn petrol and take scrap metal to the tip in my own car than fund their lifestyle. :angry:

Used to have a 'charity' recruitment firm as a client - some of the salaries that were being discussed were eye watering.

Stopped my monthly contribution to Barnardos when they hired Martin Narey.

I had an RSPCA 'chugger' knock on my door a while ago. Small young woman with an American accent in an RSPCA bib. Virtually accused me of not being an animal-lover because I wouldn't sign a d/d form.

I use the spy hole nowadays and for the first time in my life, I've started ignoring them and refusing to answer the door to many cold callers.

Definite rise on the so-called charity bags round here, and the b****y tatters with their off-key recorded trumpeting CD are getting more frequent. 2 or 3 per DAY sometimes. I'd rather burn petrol and take scrap metal to the tip in my own car than fund their lifestyle. :angry:

I regularly get bags from Action For Blind Children (seems legit, though if anyone knows otherwise please tell) and have filled a few for them.

Also had one the other day from Sally Army, filled that too. Never mind giving to the SA.

However have had others that try to look like charities but aren't when you check them out. I take a lot to charity shops anyway, esp. Oxfam, since a daughter works for them and their admin v. front-line costs are relatively low compared with many.

What hacks me off most is the vast number of begging letters from charities, esp. those that keep sending tacky 'gifts' I only chuck in the bin. Such a waste of money. Worst was some uber-religious one that kept sending me nasty lurid rosaries etc.

I do give to certain charities about 2-3 times a year, besides a couple of standing orders, but do get hacked off when as soon as you've given something, they immediately bombard you with more demands. And presumably pass your details on to the likes of the senders of tacky rosaries, not to mention of some unbelievably lurid hyper-religious Christmas cards last year, now I come to think of it.

Ghastly things. So lurid I wouldn't even have passed them on to any hyper-religious friends to use, not that I've got any of those.