House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ken_ichikawa

Some Computery Questions

IIRC you are supposed to install matched pairs of ram chips.

Thisis troublesome because the laptop I bought has factory installed 2x1GB for cheapness instead of 1x2GB.

My mainboard can take 8GB, how much speed loss am I looking at if I leave a 1GB memory chip in while putting in a 4GB memory chip in the othre? Those 4GB chips are £100 and I'd rather buy one so I can stick the other 4GB in when it becomes cheaper maybe.

Additionally do the Intel i3 i5 and i7 all share the same socket, and are laptop CPUs pretty much the same as desk top ones? As I don't see any M or any variation on CPUs....

Thanks

Thisis troublesome because the laptop I bought has factory installed 2x1GB for cheapness instead of 1x2GB.

My mainboard can take 8GB, how much speed loss am I looking at if I leave a 1GB memory chip in while putting in a 4GB memory chip in the othre? Those 4GB chips are £100 and I'd rather buy one so I can stick the other 4GB in when it becomes cheaper maybe.

Additionally do the Intel i3 i5 and i7 all share the same socket, and are laptop CPUs pretty much the same as desk top ones? As I don't see any M or any variation on CPUs....

Thanks

should be able to sell your spare 1gb chip on ebay or cex.co.uk for passable money

dunno about sockets in laptops - laptop CPUs ARE pretty much the same but have more advanced power management tech so they don't drain battery so much

there are good google guides on swapping out CPUs in laptops, but I would be wary, easier to sell laptop on ebay and buy higher spec one when needed.

Matched memory depends on what CPU you have.

Have you tried Crucial or Scan for a decent price? Have a look on hotukdeals also.

There are mobile versions of the core i3 and i5 but you may or may not have them in a laptop. Usually when a new chip comes out the laptop manufacturers will stick the desktop CPU into a laptop and, later on, will then offer the mobile versions when they become available... simply because the mobile versions usually follow several months behind the desktop ones.

There are so many possibilities that only you know what CPU and Memory your laptop is running.

Matched memory depends on what CPU you have.

Have you tried Crucial or Scan for a decent price? Have a look on hotukdeals also.

There are mobile versions of the core i3 and i5 but you may or may not have them in a laptop. Usually when a new chip comes out the laptop manufacturers will stick the desktop CPU into a laptop and, later on, will then offer the mobile versions when they become available... simply because the mobile versions usually follow several months behind the desktop ones.

There are so many possibilities that only you know what CPU and Memory your laptop is running.

Its an Intel i3 350M, with 2x1GB 204pin 1333mhz ram modules in it.

Win 7 sucks an incredible amount of ram just floating on the desk top, Therefore I fancy removing one 1GB chip and putting in a 4GB chip for a total of 5GB. Which is kind of mismatched and I hear affects speed and or introduces compatability issues.

Mr Memory does the 4GB chip for £83+VAT I.e. £197 for 8GB total which is kind of steep for me right now so I intent to stick a single 4GB chip in + the 1GB chip already in the machine.

Its an Intel i3 350M, with 2x1GB 204pin 1333mhz ram modules in it.

Win 7 sucks an incredible amount of ram just floating on the desk top, Therefore I fancy removing one 1GB chip and putting in a 4GB chip for a total of 5GB. Which is kind of mismatched and I hear affects speed and or introduces compatability issues.

Mr Memory does the 4GB chip for £83+VAT I.e. £197 for 8GB total which is kind of steep for me right now so I intent to stick a single 4GB chip in + the 1GB chip already in the machine.

This is your CPU - http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i3-350M-Notebook-Processor.23752.0.html

Go to www.crucial.com/uk and get it to scan your system for memory and what you can use.

It's hard to imagine that you'll be needing any more than 4Gb of RAM,

Unless your into some serious video editing.

So, best advice for you would be to flog the 1Gb modules, and install 2 matched 2Gb modules.

Win7 will run perfectly on 4Gb.

For more info on your CPU/RAM etc, search for an app called CPU-Z.

It will tell you if your RAM is running in dual channel mode or not.

If not, then you don't really need matched pairs anyway.

Only if its an older DDR2 system.

Most current setups (last couple of years) with i5/i7 etc will come with/utilize DDR3 ram (the current standard) and these are optimised for triple-channel architecture - ie 3 x equal sticks. In triple channel mode interleaving will reduce memory latency, but its not a massive concern for a laptop ofc, you can still use DDR3 in dual channel mode fine, but maybe best to find out what you have (and slots available) before taking the plunge as you will have more options. Just make sure to use the same bus speed though ;)

Thanks..

It is highly annoying to see Ram in the USA priced exactly the same as in the UK except in US dollars rather than £..... It gets worse as I can see the price in HK$ which is even lower than the US price! :rolleyes:

Thanks..

It is highly annoying to see Ram in the USA priced exactly the same as in the UK except in US dollars rather than £..... It gets worse as I can see the price in HK$ which is even lower than the US price!  :rolleyes:

Ken, check out ebay for cheaper prices for new memory

Thanks..

It is highly annoying to see Ram in the USA priced exactly the same as in the UK except in US dollars rather than £..... It gets worse as I can see the price in HK$ which is even lower than the US price! :rolleyes:

You omit to say if you are running 32 or 64bit & it's also Crucial!

32bit - you are stuck with Op system only using about MAx 3.2gb of memory as that's all it's programmed to see - it's hundred+ gigabytes memory for 64bit OS!

So are you wasting your lolly or not?

One way around this is to demand a 64bit Win7 disk off ?? & load it on using the same serial number as 32bit (you will have to ring in to M/Soft when it asks you)

You omit to say if you are running 32 or 64bit & it's also Crucial!

32bit - you are stuck with Op system only using about MAx 3.2gb of memory as that's all it's programmed to see - it's hundred+ gigabytes memory for 64bit OS!

So are you wasting your lolly or not?

One way around this is to demand a 64bit Win7 disk off ?? & load it on using the same serial number as 32bit (you will have to ring in to M/Soft when it asks you)

Its a 64 bit system I know that 32bit can only use 4GB.

Its a 64 bit system I know that 32bit can only use 4GB.

As others have said you probably don't need to worry about installing a matching pair. What you should consider is the RAM speed. If you install two different sticks of RAM running at differing speeds then the CPU will address both sticks at the lower speed.

As has been suggested on here already, download CPU-Z to find out the spec of your current RAM and try and buy a 4GB stick that matches the existing 1GB one in every way except for the size of course.

5GB should be more than enough for you.

It is highly annoying to see Ram in the USA priced exactly the same as in the UK except in US dollars rather than £.....

If it's a laptop you're upgrading, why not buy some on your next visit to the US and install it in your computer there and then? I would have thought that the chances of you being caught at customs are low enough for it to be worth the risk.