House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
blackjack

Welsh Housing

I would normally put this in the local area forum but everyone needs to see this! According to the survey the average household in Merthyr Tydfyl is £29000. Anybody who knows the South Wales Valleys will tell you that this figure seems high to me. I don't know what the rest of you guys on the forum think but it seems that averages and statistics seem to be used by whoever they best suit at the time. Take the latest Halifax figures. A 1.6% rise is seen as a real success at the moment but 2 years ago it would have been seen as a disaster for the housing market.

FTB's

I would normally put this in the local area forum but everyone needs to see this! According to the survey the average household in Merthyr Tydfyl is £29000. Anybody who knows the South Wales Valleys will tell you that this figure seems high to me. I don't know what the rest of you guys on the forum think but it seems that averages and statistics seem to be used by whoever they best suit at the time. Take the latest Halifax figures. A 1.6% rise is seen as a real success at the moment but 2 years ago it would have been seen as a disaster for the housing market.

FTB's

I have commented on the situation in south wales in the local area forum as I am originally from wales. The average income in south wales must be below £29000, especially in Merthyr- that would be hilarious if it wasnt so depressing!!

The south wales valleys have some of the highest levels of social deprivation in the whole of the uk having never really recovered from losing all their traditional industry. The average salary is about £15k and in merthyr, I would imagine that a lot of the locals commute to Cardiff as there is no work there. Has anyone ever been to Merthyr- its not the nicest of places! (no offence!)

House prices there are seriously over-valued and according to a friend who lives in the valleys, not very much is selling as no-one can afford it. Bear in mind that 100k for a terrace is WAY out of most peoples price range when 4 years ago they were going for about 25-30K.

Everytime I hear stuff about south wales, it depresses me as its gone crazy there and there are going to be some people in real trouble when the sh*t hits the fan.

FTB's

Well interesting that they quoted household income not average wage, 2 people living together earning say £15k each gives us that figure.

They'd never risk telling us that the average salary in Merthyr is £15k (or whatever it actually is).

Edited by mustrum_ridcully