House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
porca misèria

Reality Check

On today's rightmove feed, this property.

That was on the market around five years ago. Back then it would've been a huge stretch for my budget, but Northern Rock would've been happy to pay. Because the ground floor is commercial space, I contemplated the idea of splitting it: my company would buy the ground floor which becomes my office, while I'd buy the flat above. Or more technically, my pension fund buys the freehold then leases the ground floor to my company and the flat to me. More tax-efficient than paying the whole price in taxed money! I went as far as to have a word with the agent, who told me there was little or no price flexibility, and the place needed refurbishment. So I didn't pursue the idea.

It didn't sell then, around the top of a bubbly market. Now it's back on, and the asking price is at least as high (may be a little higher). The interior pics suggests it could still do with refurbishing.

And - HPC reality check - in today's market, it still doesn't look horribly overpriced for what it is. Whoops!

(No longer tempted by it. These days I have the budget for something set back from the road, if/when I finally get tempted to buy).

On today's rightmove feed, this property.

That was on the market around five years ago. Back then it would've been a huge stretch for my budget, but Northern Rock would've been happy to pay. Because the ground floor is commercial space, I contemplated the idea of splitting it: my company would buy the ground floor which becomes my office, while I'd buy the flat above. Or more technically, my pension fund buys the freehold then leases the ground floor to my company and the flat to me. More tax-efficient than paying the whole price in taxed money! I went as far as to have a word with the agent, who told me there was little or no price flexibility, and the place needed refurbishment. So I didn't pursue the idea.

It didn't sell then, around the top of a bubbly market. Now it's back on, and the asking price is at least as high (may be a little higher). The interior pics suggests it could still do with refurbishing.

Look more or less finished to me.

What pictures are you seeing?

Id pay more for colour.

Buckland Monachrome is just too dull.

Hehe.

The streetview is actually a much better advert than the EA pictures. Google picked up what looks like some vibrant winter light.