House Price Crash Forum

Still Crazy Asking Prices In Cornwall

timebandit

HOLA441

Just got back from viewing commercial properties in Devon and Cornwall.

Valuations still need to come down, I feel sorry for the locals waiting to buy a home at a fair price. :angry:

One example we did not have time to do a formal viewing £375,000

Our valuation way off if you include what needs to be spent on updating the shop. Equipment including the range must be over 15 years.

Business been on the market since March with no offers, may phone the agents with a real cheeky offer of £250,000.

HOLA442

Valuations still need to come down, I feel sorry for the locals waiting to buy a home at a fair price. :angry:

Our valuation way off if you include what needs to be spent on updating the shop. Equipment including the range must be over 15 years.

Business been on the market since March with no offers, may phone the agents with a real cheeky offer of £250,000.

Good luck... but even if you get it for £250,000, that is a lot of money to have to find by selling fish and chips in a small Cornish village.

HOLA443

The UK isn't worth a jack penny of what it think's it's worth in any currency.

It's all notional. Absolutely nothing, apart from bluster, to back it up.

Those numbers you're quoting are ludicrous.

If you're seriously willing to commit that - that's you're funeral!

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

If you want to pay the mortgage @ 5% and If you make £1 from every portion you sell, you would need to sell around 160 portions every day in the busy 3 months of summer. 320 portions if you wanted to pay yourself £18,000

Smells a bit fishy to me. :lol:

Maybe just the wrong plaice. If the figures don't stack up he could be floundering in a short time (or at least under water).

HOLA447

Whats cheeky about a QUARTER OF A MILLION QUID? Sounds more when you say it like that doesn't it?

Edited by tomwatkins

HOLA448

If you want to pay the mortgage @ 5% and If you make £1 from every portion you sell, you would need to sell around 160 portions every day in the busy 3 months of summer. 320 portions if you wanted to pay yourself £18,000

Smells a bit fishy to me. :lol:

60% ROGP in fish and chips. Hard pressed to beat.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

60 % of 'naff all', isn't a lot .

Doing business in a Cornish 'village' is a bloody art form :P

As you say 60% of nowt pays no bills.

Village life in Wales is similar; alienate a few locals and the business is soon down the swanny. Art form it is.

HOLA4411

I live up the road from Mullion. That business has had a For Sale sign on it for at least 2 years.

Mind you, Mullion is a lively little place, and there are still a lot of locals around out of season. Most people living there are 'imports'.

HOLA4412

Everything's priced for Incomers who came down with near infinite money until about 2009. Now Incomers have stopped coming. There are still a small number of retirees moving down, but even they are thin on the ground. Prices are starting to tumble. But it's going to be a long wait I'm afraid, because sellers have been pricing well above peak. Local estate agent which I watch closely seems to have completed sales at about 50% of 2008 level, so prices will come down.

HOLA4413

I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment, but the question is if this animosity exists, why did the locals sell in the first place? I think the anger against the "non-local" is misplaced.

HOLA4414

I live up the road from Mullion. That business has had a For Sale sign on it for at least 2 years.

Mind you, Mullion is a lively little place, and there are still a lot of locals around out of season. Most people living there are 'imports'.

Doesnt Jenny Agutter live there?

homage.

HOLA4415

I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment, but the question is if this animosity exists, why did the locals sell in the first place? I think the anger against the "non-local" is misplaced.

My experience is there is very little animosity, the locals are too busy fleecing the Incomers to be angry. All the locals have just become builders and charge the Incomers exorbitant amounts to do up their new houses. Or sold them the houses in the first place. Many locals are rich, many Incomers are poor as a result.

HOLA4416

Oh my cod, a couple of crabby comments I won't take the bait, maybe we will have to scale back our ideas. :D

The business came on the market two years ago after the death of the hubbie?

We won't be buying the shop, it needs about £80,000 of upgrading. If the shop had be done to the standards we expected our valuation of £250,000 would have been about right for todays market. Thankfully our credentials are more Cornish than a Cornish pilchard.

Edited by timebandit