House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
soldintime

Barcelona Primark Looked Like A Warzone

We went shopping in Barcelona over the weekend. We spent some time in the Diagonal Mar, the biggest shopping centre in Barcelona. Lots of shops had hardly any footfall however the Primark there looked like a war zone. The age of cheap has arrived in Spain and the Spanish are going for it.

We went shopping in Barcelona over the weekend. We spent some time in the Diagonal Mar, the biggest shopping centre in Barcelona. Lots of shops had hardly any footfall however the Primark there looked like a war zone. The age of cheap has arrived in Spain and the Spanish are going for it.

Buy Primark shares?

Buy Primark shares?

Associated British Food is the company owning Primark. And they are opening another 4 shops in Spain in the next 6 months. A recession proof business model I guess.

Primark's Birkenhead branch is notable for having half the stock on the floor.

This is not the fault of the staff but of a local custom which requires all clothing to be fingered for quality and of course, no-one will bother to replace anyhing they have knocked off the hanger.

Even the Liverpool store isn't so bad.

In Chester, the customers just knock you down.

In Manchester, I find I want to avoid other shoppers because they seem to have symptoms of infectious diseases.

Any other anthropological observations in Primark?

I'm in Southern Spain, the Primark here opened a few years ago. Empty to begin with and then the CC hit - overnight other shops closing left right and centre and Primark mobbed. People even travel from Gib, 120 Km's away, to shop there.

A business model perfect for the time. Reminds me I was reading of this clothing chain in Florida where everything sells for just 5$. In places where former expensive department stores were, but nwo bankrupt.. these stores are popping up nearby(but in lower end shopping centers).

And doing a great business, as people still want to buy clothes. They just cannot afford 70$ for a piece of clothing like in days gone by.

Another thing is how good the quality is now from the developing world. Its amazing what you can buy for just £10 in clothing.

A war zone, really? What, body parts and pools of blood and stuff on the floor, rattle of automatic weapons, and so on?

Or just quite a lot of people buying some cheap clothes?

i was in the same store 3 weekends ago. same - i reckon the queue to buy would of been an hour long.

they are opening stores all over Spain. I know that 1 or 2 are about to go into Gran Canaria including one massive one at a retail park

definately the time is right for primark to expand

the spanish who have spent the last few years buying in zara , h+m etc will now pile into primark instead

I like Primark. It's honest.

You know you're getting cheap clothes mass produced in a third world country.

Whereas I had the misfortune to go to Bicester Village on Saturday, where smug types were walking around with shiny cardboard bags with string for handles (plastic bags are so gauche darling) who would think nothing of spending £120 on a jumper that is also mass produced in a third world country... and the shops were as packed as a Primark.

Edited by exiges

The stuff isn't too bad for the price, but my dear, the noise, the people! If they sold online I would buy, but I'm not venturing through the doors of the Oxford Street branch again. It was like the queue for the last plane out of Saigon!

A business model perfect for the time. Reminds me I was reading of this clothing chain in Florida where everything sells for just 5$. In places where former expensive department stores were, but nwo bankrupt.. these stores are popping up nearby(but in lower end shopping centers).

And doing a great business, as people still want to buy clothes. They just cannot afford 70$ for a piece of clothing like in days gone by.

Another thing is how good the quality is now from the developing world. Its amazing what you can buy for just £10 in clothing.

What's more amazing is whilst you pay 10 pounds, they paid 1 pound for it in China ;)

who would think nothing of spending £120 on a jumper that is also mass produced in a third world country.

Let's be fair here at least the quality is higher for those more expensive clothing items. These quality vendors are probably paying 3-5x the price of the cheap ones, a whole 3-5 pounds!

Edited by Saberu