House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Alfie Moon

Btl'ers Getting Very Upset Over On The Daily Mail Website

See the following and the readers comments:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1312823/Rent-rise-seventh-month-row-steepest-increase-year.html

There are a number of BTL'ers getting very upset about being told that BTL'ers are rather unpopular with the public, have contributed to pricing millions of people out of the property market and that house prices are set for big falls making BTL not such a clever investment after all.

As usual there is the opportunity to add readers comments and indicate agreement/disagreement via the red and green arrow system.

Have to say I haven't seen BTL'ers getting quite so upset before.

Yes, I bet they are very upset about what someone on the internet says while rents go up and up, which is the actual headline.

Yep, that extra 50 quid a month would take the sting out of loosing a grand or so a month of the asset value..

Yes, I bet they are very upset about what someone on the internet says while rents go up and up, which is the actual headline.

Indeed, but there they are getting rather upset about it all. Up go the rents .... and then the cut in the LHA comes in .... and the value of their asset depreciates ... oh dash and darn it!

It would seem that they are actually lovely kind hearted people who without lots of people would be homeless. And it would seem they have a lovely warm fuzzy relationship with their tenants with lots of love going in both directions. All misunderstandings now corrected.

Indeed, but there they are getting rather upset about it all. Up go the rents .... and then the cut in the LHA comes in .... and the value of their asset depreciates ... oh dash and darn it!

It would seem that they are actually lovely kind hearted people who without lots of people would be homeless. And it would seem they have a lovely warm fuzzy relationship with their tenants with lots of love going in both directions. All misunderstandings now corrected.

I dunno you have to split it though between recent BTLers and older types. I've had one fairly decent landlord things would be fixed pretty quickly and the rent was reasonable, he did have a habit of popping round a bit too regularly which was annoying. OTOH I've had horrible landlords the types that keep your deposit for no reason and claim damage when there was none and such types outweigh the decent ones massively.

I hope you think so when your rent goes up £50 a month. :D

Not at all, as I've said before, its a small price to pay for the next yr or two if it means there are more houses for sale and fewer buyers.

Asking rents and rent acheived are very different items.

course, an EA looking for business is BOUND to say ITS clients are achieving higher rents.

Asking rents and rent acheived are very different items.

course, an EA looking for business is BOUND to say ITS clients are achieving higher rents.

Yes

And where I work they are achieving higher rents , people are out bidding each other for flats , people are even taking flats after just seeing pictures on the web site if we are unable to arrange a viewing .

Yes

And where I work they are achieving higher rents , people are out bidding each other for flats , people are even taking flats after just seeing pictures on the web site if we are unable to arrange a viewing .

of course they are...East London is devoid of flats...

lets look at RM..say Ilford....1000+ flats alone.

:P

Edited by Si1

1000+ apartments specifically in Canary Wharf (based on Rightmoves definition), which isn't a particularly big place considered.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/Canary-Wharf.html

Miko, you're starting to believe they hype of your colleagues mate.

Edited by Kyoto

1000+ apartments specifically in Canary Wharf (based on Rightmoves definition), which isn't a particularly big place considered.

Oh, and 10 minutes browsing that link with Property Bee is pretty telling. It's obviously faster moving than if you look at the 'To Buy' market, but there's no shortage of properties on there since early summer.

Oh, and 10 minutes browsing that link with Property Bee is pretty telling. It's obviously faster moving than if you look at the 'To Buy' market, but there's no shortage of properties on there since early summer.

some nice places for 2000-4000 PER WEEK...still for rent since February....

wonder what sort of employee would rent near canary wharf and be able to spend 100 to 200K for a rental? bankers maybe?

course, being available for months is a sign.

some nice places for 2000-4000 PER WEEK...still for rent since February....

wonder what sort of employee would rent near canary wharf and be able to spend 100 to 200K for a rental? bankers maybe?

course, being available for months is a sign.

maybe EA mistakenly put per week instead of per month?

maybe EA mistakenly put per week instead of per month?

wot, on EVERY ONE??

nah, silly me, its just NORMAL for East London..

I wouldn't trust the rightmove lettings listings as they seem to be permanently out of date.

I'm looking for a new place to rent right now and it is true that asking rents are higher. At the same time, landlords seem to be asking at least 10% higher than they actually expect to achieve...

I wouldn't trust the rightmove lettings listings as they seem to be permanently out of date.

I'm looking for a new place to rent right now and it is true that asking rents are higher. At the same time, landlords seem to be asking at least 10% higher than they actually expect to achieve...

you are right...EAS have advertising money to burn...what with rents on the rise and profits now to the moon, they can afford for the RM listings to remain on, unupdated for months...years in some cases.

property bee exposes.

and of course, there are, amazingly, EAs that DONT use RM...not worth mentioning though.

suggest you use property bee. my place was empty for 6 months, up for £1400...got it for less than £1K...much less..

Last year I negotiated ~30% off the original asking price of our (rented) house in Herts. This year we just have changed the terms of the agreement to add a break clause, in case we find something worth buying - in the event that the housing market goes tits up, as I expect. The idea of an increase in rent didn't even cross the agency/ landlord's mind, since we are good tenants, and I assume there is a concern over voids.

This article is basically VI nonsense, trying to get renters to think it is better to buy than rent now... which it isn't.

Edited by the.ciscokid

wot, on EVERY ONE??

nah, silly me, its just NORMAL for East London..

ah - naive northerner on my part, feel suitably corrected!

I think instead of just looking on right move and taking everything on there as fact and then spouting it on here you should do a bit more research first.

Phone a few of the agents on there and ask about the flats listed , I bet most of them have gone. Besides Iford is not east London it's Essex. Better still phone some that are in London E14 and E16 , then see the results. Lot's of stuff on rightmove is way out of date.

No im seeing it and dealing with it every day myself , sorry to burst your bubble but property in Canrary Wharf and the surrounds is in very short supply.

As you said yourself Canary Wharf is not a particularly big place , but over 100 thousand people work there , plus many that work in the city want to live there , as it is not a very big place it is unable to house all these people therefore the places that are there are in big demand.

you are right...EAS have advertising money to burn...what with rents on the rise and profits now to the moon, they can afford for the RM listings to remain on, unupdated for months...years in some cases.

property bee exposes.

and of course, there are, amazingly, EAs that DONT use RM...not worth mentioning though.

suggest you use property bee. my place was empty for 6 months, up for £1400...got it for less than £1K...much less..

But you are in Colchester !! ffs totally different place to East London . Then again if you don't know that Ilford is Essex and not East London , maybe you think Colchester is also East London , LOL.

No im seeing it and dealing with it every day myself , sorry to burst your bubble but property in Canrary Wharf and the surrounds is in very short supply.

As you said yourself Canary Wharf is not a particularly big place , but over 100 thousand people work there , plus many that work in the city want to live there , as it is not a very big place it is unable to house all these people therefore the places that are there are in big demand.

You sound as bullish as can be. Shouldn't you change your status or something?