House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Tell Them Nothing - Make Quota Systems Fail

Reading the story below (which I won't reproduce as copying and pasting Daily Mail stories has been copyrighted by interestrateripoff) reminded me off something I always do but when I mention it to people it comes as a surprise.

I get the occasional survey, mainly at work, asking about race, religion, sexuality, marriage status what have you.

Now being in the public sector (which means some of you hate me already) I know that every survey has a purpose. And the reason behind this is to report on the make-up of their staff because there is a quota system running.

Now I am a recruiter primarily on merit. And if merit means that the whole company is white male English heterosexual then that's how it is. (I say primarily as I like a near 50:50 split of men to women in my staff so if I can I try to balance it up, it makes teams work better).

But if an organisation makes a return of 100% white male Christian English heterosexual it will be marked down in assessments for not representing the local community.

So what I do every time is tick "prefer not to say", then whilst the company may be entirely white male Christian English heterosexual the return will now say 95% WMCEH which, in the public sector world, is somehow better.

I managed to get a few people to understand this at work and do the same last time, and hopefully this spreads the net wider.

If you can get loads of people to tick "prefer not to say" and you end up with 20% WMCEH and 80% prefer not to say then no conclusions can be drawn as the sample size is too small and the department won't be marked down for not representing the community as nobody knows if it does or not.

Simple but effective. Pass it on.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1313348/What-think-heterosexual-Just-bizarre-questions-council-chiefs-asking-staff-diversity-course.html

Reading the story below (which I won't reproduce as copying and pasting Daily Mail stories has been copyrighted by interestrateripoff) reminded me off something I always do but when I mention it to people it comes as a surprise.

I get the occasional survey, mainly at work, asking about race, religion, sexuality, marriage status what have you.

Now being in the public sector (which means some of you hate me already) I know that every survey has a purpose. And the reason behind this is to report on the make-up of their staff because there is a quota system running.

Now I am a recruiter primarily on merit. And if merit means that the whole company is white male English heterosexual then that's how it is. (I say primarily as I like a near 50:50 split of men to women in my staff so if I can I try to balance it up, it makes teams work better).

But if an organisation makes a return of 100% white male Christian English heterosexual it will be marked down in assessments for not representing the local community.

So what I do every time is tick "prefer not to say", then whilst the company may be entirely white male Christian English heterosexual the return will now say 95% WMCEH which, in the public sector world, is somehow better.

I managed to get a few people to understand this at work and do the same last time, and hopefully this spreads the net wider.

If you can get loads of people to tick "prefer not to say" and you end up with 20% WMCEH and 80% prefer not to say then no conclusions can be drawn as the sample size is too small and the department won't be marked down for not representing the community as nobody knows if it does or not.

Simple but effective. Pass it on.

http://www.dailymail...ity-course.html

Last time I had one of these it was from the BBC and I told them I was a foreign born, black , one legged lesbian and that I found their survey racist and patronising as it assumed that I as a foreign, black , one legged lesbian some how needed special treatment.

Interestingly I am told by experts that the criteria for what you are determined as ethnically and sexually is determined by how you feel as an individual - though the disabled bit is presumably more objective.

So as far as the BBC concerned I was a foreign, black , lesbian though they may have wanted to see my disability certificate.

I urge others to take a similar course of action - I might add aspirant trans-sexual to my next such form as clearly the gender bit would be a give away.

I've always only ever put other on any of these things, it says other please specify I will do something nasty and write a squiggle which looks a bit like arabic a bit mongolian etc.

"Equal Opportunities"

My recent recruitment to $bigco was, as close as possible in the real world to a perfect case of no-possible-race-discrimination. That is to say, none of the folks who made the decision ever met me in person, and I never mentioned my skin colour to them.

Of course they can google, they can make a guess. So can I, and my manager’s name strongly suggests that he’s from a very different racial group to my own. So neither of us can be accused of favouring our own kind (unless one of us has made a wrong guess about the other).

Now part of the documentation they expect[1] from me is a racial monitoring form, so they can “prove” they … erm … don’t discriminate. It lets me choose from:

* White

* Black-Caribbean

* Black-African

* Black-Other

* Indian

* Pakistani

* Chinese

* Bangladeshi

* Other (please specify)

Right. One category for white – the vast majority, encompassing warring catholic/protestant communities, and presumably other groups having significant tensions like jew and arab. Not to mention what the ‘merkins call “hispanic”. By contrast, no less than three different categories for black based on their history rather than their ethnicity, and three for south-asian based on country of origin. Seems to me offensive both to the white majority and to the minorities – both white and non-white.

I want the option to describe my race as “human”. But that’s not Politically Correct. Bah, Humbug.

[1] Or rather, that the Political Correctness Police expect of them.

A friend had a campaign for "Mixed-Race: Other" (or in the above case, "other: mixed race"). i.e. that all of us have a somewhat mixed ancestry at some point since the last Ice Age. Anyway I agree with any and all these suggestions.

I have been refusing to fill in these stupid questionnaires for ages. None of anyone's business where I am from and if I prefer men or women.

I recently applied to be a volunteer for the Olympics. I was offended to be asked my sexual orientation on the application form. What damn business is it of the Olympics organisers what my sexual preference is? There was a 'rather not say' option available but unfortunately there wasn't a 'rather not be ****ing asked in the first place' option. What the hell happened to manners and privacy in this country?

I recently applied to be a volunteer for the Olympics. I was offended to be asked my sexual orientation on the application form.

Think of something suitably outrageous.

"72 virgins"

"choirboys"

"fresh corpses"

"live chickens"