House Price Crash Forum

Vince: Send The Young Unemployed To India To Do Apprenticeships

OnionTerror

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1313336/Vince-Cable-Send-school-leavers-apprenticeships-India.html

Cabinet Minister Vince Cable was at the centre of a new immigration controversy last night after suggesting unemployed young Britons should be sent to India to find work.

The Business Secretary, who said he would get a ‘slap over the wrists’ from David Cameron for speaking out, claimed it would improve their prospects when they returned.

In a private speech in London, he said it was time to end the one-way flow of skilled workers from India to the UK.

British school-leavers and university graduates should be able to go in the opposite direction to India, where the economy has boomed in recent years.

There they could obtain apprenticeships and other training in high-tech industries.

The maverick Liberal Democrat was clearly aware his remarks – in a speech to British and Indian diplomats, businessmen and politicians at London’s Grosvenor House Hotel – could cause a stir.

He joked he would be in trouble if Mr Cameron found out, saying: ‘I will probably get a slap over the wrists from the headmaster in the morning, but I believe there should be a freer flow of labour.’

Skilled young employees in India earn about £2 an hour, less than half Britain’s minimum wage of £5.93 per hour – though the cost of living is much cheaper.

Mr Cable’s proposal contains echoes of the ‘£10 Poms’ in the post-war years when more than one million Britons emigrated to Australia. A large majority stayed. Under Mr Cable’s idea, most young Britons who went to India would be expected to return.

Mr Cable has strong views on immigration and a special affinity with India. His first wife, Olympia Rebelo, was an East African of Indian origin.

According to witnesses, Mr Cable said in his speech: ‘There is no reason why British school and university leavers should not work in India in high-tech industries for a few years or as apprentices. They could then return to Britain better prepared to get a job.’

He said the balance of power between Britain and India had changed since the days of the Empire when India looked up to the UK economically and in other regards.

They were now equal partners and there was no reason why the exchange of skilled workers should not be two-way, especially bearing in mind the depressed state of the British jobs market.

It is not the first time Mr Cable has clashed with Mr Cameron on the issue. He opposes Tory plans to cap immigration into the UK – and refuses to be gagged.

Mr Cameron says he will cut annual immigration to ‘tens of thousands’, rather than the hundreds of thousands under Labour.

However, in July, when he accompanied the Prime Minister on a trip to India, Mr Cable made it clear privately he thought the immigration crackdown was ‘crazy’ at a time when the Coalition was trying to revive the economy.

The suggestion of sending youths to India was put to Mr Cable during the trip by Indian tycoon Azim Premji of software giant Wipro Ltd, who said his firm could provide opportunities.

India’s economic growth has far outstripped the UK’s and is predicted to grow 8.8 per cent this year, while the UK’s will be 1.4 per cent.

One prominent Indian guest at the dinner ten days ago, which was chaired by president of the Indian Journalists Association Ashis Ray, described Mr Cable’s proposal as ‘unprecedented’.

‘Mr Cable said that, during a recent visit to India, Mr Premji told him that since Britain has high youth unemployment, they should send people to India to be trained in cutting-edge technology companies so they could go back better qualified for work back home,’ the guest said.

‘Mr Cable felt this was a splendid idea and should be applied more broadly. It was an unprecedented statement by a British Minister and it was very well received. Mr Cable is much admired.’

A spokeswoman for Mr Cable played down the row and denied he had suggested sending young British unemployed people to India.

But another guest at the dinner said: ‘There was no doubt he was saying young people who can’t get jobs here should be able to get trained up in India and that it would be good for them, India and Britain.’

The controversy comes 48 hours after Mr Cable hinted he could quit the Coalition over the Government’s cap on immigrants, claiming it was ‘doing great damage’ to the economy.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

...and be shocked by the living conditions that they can afford.

You probably didn't see them Doc but the BBC ran several series on BBC 3 where young Brits were taken to places like India to work in the garment and food production industries.

Their shock at the conditions was eclipsed by their shock at how hard they had to work, and for how little money in return.

Quite eye opening stuff.

HOLA443

You probably didn't see them Doc but the BBC ran several series on BBC 3 where young Brits were taken to places like India to work in the garment and food production industries.

Their shock at the conditions was eclipsed by their shock at how hard they had to work, and for how little money in return.

Quite eye opening stuff.

I saw the same show.

The group were taken to Thailand and were given a choice between 3 houses - a run down shack being the cheapest through to a good quality well sealed comfortable home.Idiots chose the most expensive option then were surprised that they didn't earn enough in the rice fields to pay for any food after they had paid the rent.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Vince Cable was at the centre of a new immigration controversy last night after suggesting unemployed young Britons should be sent to India to find work.

Maybe he is a Hitch-Hiker's Guide fan & really has chavs in mind?

Do like the planet Golgafrincham & get rid of a useless percentage of your population?

I'm all for character building; though I'd hate to think of some of them drifting into Bollywood & 'making it'. <_<

HOLA448

I doubt that the Indians would allow that.

And even if they did, the Brits going there would make little money and be shocked by the living conditions that they can afford.

Hong Kong would be a better choice, but many Brits are too friggen' lazy to compete with the hard-working Hong Kongers.

Alright Buddy, ENOUGH of the Briton bashing. We British are not lazy.

Coming from someone who just sits on his backside moving money around, speculating on whatever asset he can find. YOU'RE the lazy one.

How dare you call us British lazy.

HOLA449

Cameron is going to have to sack Vince Cable. The guy just obviously doesn't get it.

The only reason these jobs are in India etc, is because their living costs (their housing costs) are much lower.

In th UK, we've had decades of economic policy designed solely to push up house prices. That's why we don't have the jobs.

Let house prices fall, and the public will finally be able to afford to take on lower paid work, because their living costs will have reduced.

The higher house prices remain, the less jobs we have.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I don't see the problem in what he's saying. Anything that broadens the mind, exposed young people to new experiences and equips them better for competing in the Global market is good.

Hey, if they can make it there they'd make it anywhere. Maybe they could come back and spread the word.

HOLA4413

I don't see the problem in what he's saying. Anything that broadens the mind, exposed young people to new experiences and equips them better for competing in the Global market is good.

Hey, if they can make it there they'd make it anywhere. Maybe they could come back and spread the word.

me neither ,would be a wonderful experience

I went to India Bangladesh and Nepal in my early 20's

and it gave me much food for thought

HOLA4414

So Cable was saying last week that there's tens of thousands of jobs in this country that can only be filled by bringing in Indian workers.

Now he's saying that there's no opportunities here for young people and they will have to go to India.

You'd think he would be able to keep his story straight for a couple of days.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Cameron is going to have to sack Vince Cable. The guy just obviously doesn't get it.

The only reason these jobs are in India etc, is because their living costs (their housing costs) are much lower.

In th UK, we've had decades of economic policy designed solely to push up house prices. That's why we don't have the jobs.

Let house prices fall, and the public will finally be able to afford to take on lower paid work, because their living costs will have reduced.

The higher house prices remain, the less jobs we have.

Exactly! (See my sig.)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Heck, UK politicians really, really hate British people don't they?

Do you really think Vince Cable thinks that? I don't.

If we accept for a minute that he doesn't it's worth then thinking why he said it.

I honestly don't see what the problem is. If there's demand in india and talented British people can fill it, why not? Living costs over there will be low and they should, if they're taking up skilled positions, be able to earn enough to have a decent standard. Plus they will exand their horizons dramatically.

I sometimes get the impression that what most of this forum wants is to build a high wall around the country.

HOLA4419

So Cable was saying last week that there's tens of thousands of jobs in this country that can only be filled by bringing in Indian workers.

Now he's saying that there's no opportunities here for young people and they will have to go to India.

So what he is saying is he has no faith in our education system at all. No hopes he is going to deal with that.

HOLA4420

Both countries benefit from having employees from both countries, as it enriches both job markets.

And, as said above already, it is a very interesting life experience for the young travellers too.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Exactly. It makes sense. Why not?! Like the article says here:

‘Mr Cable said that, during a recent visit to India, Mr Premji told him that since Britain has high youth unemployment, they should send people to India to be trained in cutting-edge technology companies so they could go back better qualified for work back home,’ the guest said. ‘Mr Cable felt this was a splendid idea and should be applied more broadly.

HOLA4423

Do you really think Vince Cable thinks that? I don't.

If we accept for a minute that he doesn't it's worth then thinking why he said it.

I honestly don't see what the problem is. If there's demand in india and talented British people can fill it, why not? Living costs over there will be low and they should, if they're taking up skilled positions, be able to earn enough to have a decent standard. Plus they will exand their horizons dramatically.

I sometimes get the impression that what most of this forum wants is to build a high wall around the country.

+ 1

HOLA4424

Looks like farmer Vince finally took a closer look into the rabbit farm that he helps to manage (aka the UK) and found that the cages are stuffed to the brim with unproductive sickly rabbits that don't have meat or a nice fur on them, (and never will) and so, he simply wants to clear the cages out and use the space creates to fill 'em with better producers.

And for his next great idea, he'll demand to send the unemployed immigrants back to their countries for an apprentice ship -- oh wait, you can only do that kind of thing with rabbits!

Edit: there is always at least one typo and right now I'm saving them for a book I'm writing...

Edited by Cinnamon

HOLA4425

India has millions living absolute poverty why would they want a load of unemployed brits. Anyway it's virtually impossible for foreigners to work in India. I'm sure they're going to change that for Vince. I can just see WIMPRO or INFOSYS employing a load of unemployed brits. What a plank. :lol: