House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Nickolarge

Local Solicitor Cuts Staff's Hours.

I was talking to a guy I know yesterday who works as a self employed mortgage advisor.

Obviously he is struggling to make ends meet. But it's even worse for him as his wife and daughter both work for a local solicitor who has just cut the daughters hours.

He's bricking it worrying that his wife will be next.

He reckons that the firm actually made a four grand loss last year. Supposedly it's mainly due to the decline in conveyancing work.

I was talking to a guy I know yesterday who works as a self employed mortgage advisor.

Obviously he is struggling to make ends meet. But it's even worse for him as his wife and daughter both work for a local solicitor who has just cut the daughters hours.

He's bricking it worrying that his wife will be next.

He reckons that the firm actually made a four grand loss last year. Supposedly it's mainly due to the decline in conveyancing work.

Three incomes coming into the one house? They should have some solid savings put by.

Three incomes coming into the one house? They should have some solid savings put by.

Trouble is that people don't save any more.

His family have a spending pattern that is now well out of line with their income and another thing that people don't do very well is adjust downwards.

This is where renting comes into it's own; no house to lose if you lose your job

HB pays the rent, council tax etc, JSA pulls in enough for a bit of grub

The really stressed people now are those holding mortgages

A large legal practice in Manchester recently went bust.

The Coalition is planning to cut the legal aid budget to nothing.

Public bodies will bear down on costs like legal spending.

The reduced level of economic activity must be paring down spending on legal activity.

I will shed no tears for lawyers losing income, but the Tories seem to be scoring an own goal by impoverishing this group.

I will shed no tears for lawyers losing income, but the Tories seem to be scoring an own goal by impoverishing this group.

...a large quota of Nulabour were lawyers ...including Mr & Mrs Blair..... :rolleyes:

A large legal practice in Manchester recently went bust.

The Coalition is planning to cut the legal aid budget to nothing.

Public bodies will bear down on costs like legal spending.

The reduced level of economic activity must be paring down spending on legal activity.

What? Millions of outraged lawyers will be marching to London demanding jobs?

The biggest threat to the legal profession is the Legal Services Act due in 2011. This legislation opens up the legal market to the likes of Tescos and Marks & Spencer etc. Could be devastating. That is not a good thing, it will just result in further dumbing down of the profession, call centres etc.

Yet its still very competitive to get a job and thousands of students every year get into £20k of debt just to have a chance of becoming qualified as a solicitor. Many do not make it.

Legal Aid has always paid poorly and further cuts will only effect those few firms that currently offer it.

Solicitors have merged in Oldham - their office on the main road up to there is empty... just along from the former bank thats been empty for a long time...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Oldham+OL9+8DE&sll=61.841844,6.635487&sspn=0.449107,1.234589&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Oldham+OL9+8DE,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.525998,-2.137249&spn=0.00884,0.01929&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.52591,-2.137356&panoid=pbapRW7pOTdToLvjWAMbBA&cbp=12,291.6,,0,2.9

(only business in that row is IMANAGE Limited which is a telecoms thing) - don't think the driveways place is open now...