House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

The £199 Wedding

Prob will go O/T, but bugger it...

What's the betting that the service will be held by Lenny Henry?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1313181/UKs-cheapest-wedding-package-goes-sale-199-budget-hotel-chain.html

Couples worried about forking out thousands on their wedding can now get married at a budget hotel - for just £199.

The wedding, thought to be the cheapest ever for an entire package, has gone on offer for couples unable to afford the average bill of £21,000 - and even includes a best man's speech template. The bargain basement deal - offered by hotel chain Premier Inn - also provides the bride's dress and groom's suit, confetti for the guests, a buffet reception for up to 20 guests and the wedding cake.

The newlyweds even get a two-night honeymoon at the venue, including dinner, bed and breakfast, sparkling wine, chocolates and the marital bed strewn with rose petals.

WHAT YOU GET FOR £199

Wedding dress and groom's suit from Asda

Wedding cake from Asda

Buffet reception for 20 people

Pyjamas from Primark

Confetti

Best man's speech template

Two-night honeymoon at the Premier Inn - including breakfast, sparkling wine, chocolates and rose petal strewn marital bed

And the happy couple do not even have to remember to bring their pyjamas as the hotel provides them nightwear from budget clothes shop Primark.

Guests at the reception will have to content themselves with just one alcoholic beverage over the course of the celebration, as will the bride and groom on each night of the honeymoon.

Just 10 couples will be able to take advantage of the offer, which is running at five hotels within the chain - Warrington, Swansea, Sheffield, Wigan and Barnsley - from November 1 to December 23. But a spokeswoman insisted the deal would be extended if the hotel received positive feedback from wedding guests.

Premier Inn spokesman Steve Conway said: 'A wedding day doesn't need to cost a fortune for it to be special.

'We hope that our bargain wedding package will help couples to have an enjoyable, romantic, stress-free day and a honeymoon that won't break the bank.'

The wedding dress and groom's suit are from supermarket Asda - as is the cake and the sparkling wine.

We got married for £200 in 1993 - no honeymoon , but me and the best man did a BBQ for 70 people in the rain under a fishing umbrella . brilliant day. I honestly can't believe why people spend thousands , it baffles me.

D :D

We got married for £200 in 1993 - no honeymoon , but me and the best man did a BBQ for 70 people in the rain under a fishing umbrella . brilliant day. I honestly can't believe why people spend thousands , it baffles me.

D :D

We did similar. Got married in early 80's and it was around £100. It was really good fun and no limit on the drinks. However I think my daughter may have other ideas.....

It cost me £160 to get married, mind you that did include the Registry Office fee, the Reception, and the Honeymoon so really I can`t complain. ;)

Mine cost £158 6 years ago .. Mrs ShedDweller still thinks she is going to get a reception .. not even 1/4 of the way through the excuses yet ..

It's one of those things where everyone says spending so much on a wedding is crazy, but there seems to be no shortage of people willing to do it.

Kind of like over shopping at Christmas.

Or spending hundreds of thousands on a crappy house.

Numpties just seem to come out of the woodwork. Sums up everything thats wrong with todays society.

Not for me - mine will certainly come in at less than £199. I'll take the 20 grand and use it to pay for a year or two of travelling around the world as a honeymoon,

It's one of those things where everyone says spending so much on a wedding is crazy, but there seems to be no shortage of people willing to do it.

Kind of like over shopping at Christmas.

Or spending hundreds of thousands on a crappy house.

Numpties just seem to come out of the woodwork. Sums up everything thats wrong with todays society.

Not for me - mine will certainly come in at less than £199. I'll take the 20 grand and use it to pay for a year or two of travelling around the world as a honeymoon,

now we all know 20,000 pounds is an awful lot to spend on a wedding but what a bunch of cheapskates you lot are, all bragging how you got married for less than £200 . Half a dozen people would spend that at the bar...

Its all very well being 'careful' but you gotta know when to party too.

now we all know 20,000 pounds is an awful lot to spend on a wedding but what a bunch of cheapskates you lot are, all bragging how you got married for less than £200 . Half a dozen people would spend that at the bar...

As you say, you could spend the money on overpriced hotel beer for a small army of people you don't really like....

Or you could let the guests spend £20 or £30 each, leaving you with enough for a house deposit, or to see the world, or to buy a new car etc...

I did party four times on the wedding night, had breakfast and then another two times. :D

BTW kept the wedding costs down, returned from honeymoon, saved hard for a further six months, then had enough for a deposit on our first home.

Never looked back since the past 41 years. ;)

A friend`s neighbour`s daughter got married, cost £35k, Marque and all that, 200 Guests, free bar all night, honeymoon 2 weeks in the Maldives paid for by the Parents.

One year later the divorce came, Mum says well at least she had her special day.

Me, I would have asked for my bloody money back. :rolleyes:

Amen,

We got married and it did cost £20k; we had a big old wedding, and laid on a good party for a couple of hundred family and friends. At a certain point you have to party, just as I wanna house says - all you people who are boasting about how little you spent or how little you would spend...at a certain point you have to celebrate something...if not your wedding, then what exactly?

Mind you, I have no problem with people doing it cheaply - fair play - but this bitter sniping at people who spent a bit more...I don't know, just sounds a bit like sour grapes.

p.s. no I did not get into debt for our wedding.

p.p.s. and as for the guy stating that he would rather spend it on a year round the world trip - well, a few hundred days for YOURSELF, or a few hundred people who you love for one day? Who is the selfish person? Hmmmmm?

p.p.p.s. 'people you don't really like'...says it all really. Oh dear.

Amen,

We got married and it did cost £20k; we had a big old wedding, and laid on a good party for a couple of hundred family and friends. At a certain point you have to party, just as I wanna house says - all you people who are boasting about how little you spent or how little you would spend...at a certain point you have to celebrate something...if not your wedding, then what exactly?

Well if you`re still married in 40 years time that was great value for money. :D

We were perfectly happy celebrating with 5 of our closest friends and another 6 of our closest family. We saved about £20k by doing just that.

biggrin.gif

To each their own.

We were perfectly happy celebrating with 5 of our closest friends and another 6 of our closest family. We saved about £20k by doing just that.

biggrin.gif

To each their own.

That's the sort of thing I would do if I ever got married. I'd probably want to go somewhere "unusual" abroad with another couple who would act as the witnesses. Then when I got back, I'd have a simple party...

A couple of friends are marrying each other, and there's a fair bit of jealousy between the bride to be's mother, and the grooms parents, because the grooms parents are loaded...It's got to petty sniping. The bride's mother is trying to arrange everything for them, which is fine to an extent, but she's trying to take over...and it's proving to be quite stressful...They fear that it will cause a rift between the families...Sod all that...

biggrin.gif

To each their own.

I completely agree.

Mine cost the registry office fee and that was it. Divorce cost more but not much.

Being a cheapskate I'm planning a cheap second wedding by falling out with my family one by one to reduce costs. :)

I will make no further comment. :D

You Mr Tramp, are a profligate spendthrift ! £200 ! in 1970 ? Big bucks mate ! £158 six years ago was the cost of the registry office .. Origionaly we were going to get married onthe Tuesday and then I got a job in so we changed it to the Thursday. On a more serious note it seems that the people I know who have had the biggest wedding days (ie the most expensive) have had the shortest marriges ..