House Price Crash Forum
littlelamb

Glasgow West End

Are prices falling in the west end? I'm looking to buy. I have offered twice on a property, the last being £10K under asking price...the owner looking for £25k over asking price I am told by EA, yet property been up since April '10 and empty, no other offers etc!!! Thoughts please.

Are prices falling in the west end? I'm looking to buy. I have offered twice on a property, the last being £10K under asking price...the owner looking for £25k over asking price I am told by EA, yet property been up since April '10 and empty, no other offers etc!!! Thoughts please.

The seller is yet to see reality. Patience is the key. Your time will come.

Thanks for that, I will bide my time. Also just noticed that Corum have three others all just reduced in last few days in same area. This ones on with clyde and they dont seem to reduce anything. I think the vendor's still living in the past along with a many others.....My solicitor says things are set to remain the same until xmas and then nobody knows, also says people are not getting over asking price on offers over with most going for £10-15k under...Watch this space!

Thanks for that, I will bide my time. Also just noticed that Corum have three others all just reduced in last few days in same area. This ones on with clyde and they dont seem to reduce anything. I think the vendor's still living in the past along with a many others.....My solicitor says things are set to remain the same until xmas and then nobody knows, also says people are not getting over asking price on offers over with most going for £10-15k under...Watch this space!

Clyde appear to re-list when they reduce to beat Property-Bee. The Rightmove Price Comparison Report can help with this sometimes.

Another useful wee site is www.propertysnake.co.uk which charts falling prices in your postcode of choice, plus days on market etc and there's an awful lot falling!! So clyde are sneaky wee devils.

Another useful wee site is www.propertysnake.co.uk which charts falling prices in your postcode of choice, plus days on market etc and there's an awful lot falling!! So clyde are sneaky wee devils.

There a few that use this Bee-beating tactic. The Bee is soooooooooooooo busy at the minute that I think it could do with a wee break anyway. It must struggle with ALL these falls happening. :)

Asking price means very little on its own except that the owner is really looking for more. Hound the EA for the home report valuation as that will give a better indication of what is being looked for. There is a wide variety as to how the glasgow EA and solicitors are pricing the asking price on properties in relation to the valuation.

compared to the solicitors, the EA usually have a lower asking price as they are trying to drum up interest in viewings (whether or not the viewer can realistically afford the property) as it makes it easier in theory to attract big bids if you are made to think there is alot of competition. Most of the EA are reluctant to release the HR until you have viewed as in alot of cases you wouldn't bother if you knew how much they are actually looking for. By contrast you can get the HR in advance on the GSPC which I personally think is better as a buyer as it is upfront about the expectations.

Look at enough HR's and you will get an idea about how most of the EA's are pricing their properties as there are usually trends.

Good point, however if a property has been up for a long time in a falling market the valuation must be out of date? My solicitor also says there are a lot of HR valuations over and under value and it depends on who did the HR.