House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ken_ichikawa

British Apathy?

What can be done about it? As the government can pretty much do what it wants.

Or is it a case of don't waste your time as quite simply there is no real point of educating or attempting to save people who don't want to be saved or simply aren't worth being saved from terrible things?

Therefore merely to make my own provisions and exploit these very same people when it comes tumbling down?

What can be done about it? As the government can pretty much do what it wants.

Or is it a case of don't waste your time as quite simply there is no real point of educating or attempting to save people who don't want to be saved or simply aren't worth being saved from terrible things?

Therefore merely to make my own provisions and exploit these very same people when it comes tumbling down?

I'm really not that bothered about apathy.

Author John Brunner once said something along the lines that the Establishment just sits there like a great big fat, smug toad and waits to those trying to change things to exhaust themselves.

It can be a difficult and exhausting road, trying to bring about change. Most people, me included, haven't got what it takes.

There's no vision for the future, no role for Britain as a whole, no destiny - we can't even decide whether we want our island it to remain as one nation! All the government is doing is firefighting, like Gordon Brown's government was - except they seem to be doing a better job of it so far.

Where does the future lie? Can we continue with an economy with so much emphasis on rising property values (even when they're not), leisure / heritage / tourism, celebrity worship and consumerism? We need to get out there and make stuff and sell it not just to ourselves but to Johnny Foreigner too.

Having said all that, I would describe myself as pretty apathetic at the moment.