House Price Crash Forum

Exam System Is "diseased And Corrupt"

bogbrush

46 minutes ago, Will! said:

Nothing on the national news, but in my area there are ambitious plans for academies.  However, all the teachers I've spoken to say that the 'freedom' of academies is meaningless if the exams they prepare for remain political footballs, hence my interest in IB programmes.

Interesting link, thanks.  Do you know of any data comparing UK exam standards internationally?

The only thing I know of its the Pisa tests but they are taken at 15.

The difference between A-levels and the IB is  between depth and breadth - 3 subjects vs 6. Now it may be the case that IB goes deeper as well as wider, but I think it unlikely to be the case. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 9/17/2010 at 4:11 PM, plummet expert said:

The article already has him with his head torn off!

The plain fact is that WE ALL KNOW the exams of today are easier than those from the past - certainly after the 70's. I accept there would have to be some modernisation of content in many cases, but large numbers of pupils are being awarded GCSE's at a level of education which is two years below that which existed post war to the 70's. The grades being awarded are rediculous. There has been a new A* added simply because people can get marks over 90%. That was just about impossible in the past. People of 13-14 are capable of passing GCSE's with grade C or above.

I think that is wrong. My daughter is a year 9 and her maths tests (middle set) are a good deal harder than what I remember my maths tests being when I was her age (top set). I am 42, and also no maths dunce since I'm in tech/electronics at a high level  for 20 years and use advanced maths as a matter of course. 

I also agree with what dissident junk said.

I think there is element of old men here who were no good at maths being peeved at a younger generation who are now better at it than they were. 

5 hours ago, scepticus said:

I think that is wrong. My daughter is a year 9 and her maths tests (middle set) are a good deal harder than what I remember my maths tests being when I was her age (top set). I am 42, and also no maths dunce since I'm in tech/electronics at a high level  for 20 years and use advanced maths as a matter of course. 

I also agree with what dissident junk said.

I think there is element of old men here who were no good at maths being peeved at a younger generation who are now better at it than they were. 

Lucky the kids got smarter or they could not justify keeping all the universities open (expanded for the people born in the mid 1960's).

They would have closed some of them down? or except more C&D grade students instead of A&B grades.

Its very difficult to gauge this over a long period of time, peoples memories can't be trusted (the system/rules keeps being changed same as HPC issues) this can obscure the actual truth.  

Looking at the way everything else is manipulated I'd be suspicious. 

When I look at my daughters Maths homework 12, I feel that it is confused/over complicated rather than just difficult.

It should be easy for me, I also have advanced level Maths skills, maybe I am just getting too old.

Baby Boom.png