House Price Crash Forum

Return Of Deposit

or in excess of

HOLA441

Following a final inspection by the letting agent,, i was told everything is ok, and i would get my full deposit back. That was 2 weeks ago. The letting agent is now telling me that the landlady has to give her approval as well, but has not had time to visit the property yet. This does not seem right. I feel these are stalling tactics to hold on to deposit as long as possible. Or worse. Does anyone know if there is a time limit for the return of deposit? Thank you.

HOLA442

Following a final inspection by the letting agent,, i was told everything is ok, and i would get my full deposit back. That was 2 weeks ago. The letting agent is now telling me that the landlady has to give her approval as well, but has not had time to visit the property yet. This does not seem right. I feel these are stalling tactics to hold on to deposit as long as possible. Or worse. Does anyone know if there is a time limit for the return of deposit? Thank you.

If this should happen to me when the time comes to move out of the house we are renting I will not be polite. Two weeks is a long time to wait for your money. Perhaps you can consider contacting small claims. Inform the letting agent you are doing this. If your consience is clear about the state of the property you have left, then look for their blood and enjoy doing it.(metaphorically speaking of course)

HOLA443

I think time limit may be 21 days, it will say on your TDS certificate, but the LL should have viewed on the day.

Agree - my current contract states "The Agent must tell the Tenant within 10* working days of the end of the Tenancy if they propose to make any deductions from the Deposit." but the actual TDS description states "You have 20working days to raise a dispute,and theMember has 10working days to resolve

it.".

You need to check out your contract and the TDS certificate, but it does seem like this has gone on too long.

HOLA444

Hi. landlords must register your deposit with a tenancy deposit scheme by law. refer

http://www.rla.org.uk/landlord/tenancy_deposits/

check out all their websites for the terms and conditions of the scheme and a timeline can be worked out.

The landlord must provide evidence to justify a deposit deduction. Fight your corner if you and the landlord can't arrive to an amiable solution or just can't agree on the amount and return of the deposit. Unfortunately this will take time 3-5months if there is a dispute about the full refund of the rental deposit. The deposit schemes will gather any necessary evidence from the landlord and the tenant to prove their case for the deposit. So the AST rental agreement, inventory checklist, any photos pre moving in and before moving out will be helpful, receipts, chronology of events, related correspondence will have to be compiled. The dispute will be referred to the adjudicators for a final decision.

I had the unfortunate experience of going through a similar scenario twice. The Deposit Protection Service and Tenancy Deposit Scheme. Twice the adjudicators awarded the deposit refund back to me. But you have to stay firm and be patient to wait for the repayment until all the paperwork is done. It is always easier if this can be settled amiably with the landlord but if you feel the landlord is acting nasty and greedy, then it's time to chase the deposit scheme office for the reason for withholding the refund.

hope this helps.

HOLA445

I would contact your Tenancy Deposit scheme, and find out what the requirements are. I seem to remember 10 working days being the limit after which you are entitled to start dispute resolution proceedings.

Don't let them drag this out. Get started with the official proceedings.

HOLA446

I don't see anything sinister about that. Just a landlady being inefficient. The agent just wants to proceed with consensus all round.

Maybe you should give them a deadline in writing to force the issue. Long enough to work its way through an intray to action, but not to faff about. If there are any timescales in your lease, use those.

IANAL. This is not legal advice.