House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lord Lister

59% Drop In House Prices

Well, based on my old house and a bit of jiggery pokery with the figures, but a genuine calculation none the less.

I sold my house for £147000 in 2007, I think it would sell for around 135000 based on others in the are selling now. Here comes the jiggery pokery :-) That means I sold my house for 420 oz gold in 2007, it would now cost 172 oz gold, thats a 59 % decrease in price.

Well, based on my old house and a bit of jiggery pokery with the figures, but a genuine calculation none the less.

I sold my house for £147000 in 2007, I think it would sell for around 135000 based on others in the are selling now. Here comes the jiggery pokery :-) That means I sold my house for 420 oz gold in 2007, it would now cost 172 oz gold, thats a 59 % decrease in price.

Yep, If you plot the home page house price graph in oz of gold instead GBP. You see that HPC has already happened and prices fell back to the lows near the previous busts. Around 75% drops in terms of gold, from peak to bottom.

This is fine if you own oodles of gold.. you could have sold some gold and bought a house cheap.. but for the rest of us.. we are still waiting for that 50% nominal GBP crash.

This is fine if you own oodles of gold.. you could have sold some gold and bought a house cheap.. but for the rest of us.. we are still waiting for that 50% nominal GBP crash.

Amen brother. Though next time (and there will be) I will be selling the house, buying a motor-home (anticipated retirement will be around the next peak) piling into gold with what's left, then heading off and parking up somewhere warm to sit it out.

Instead of quoting the price in something utterly useless, how about doing the calculation with a more useful commodity. Like Oil.

Depends how you look at it, I see it as a currency, in fact the ultimate reserve currency, the benchmark all other currencies are measured against, but then thats just my opinion. Clearly judging by the change in price over the last few years, I am not alone in thinking it is not utterly useless.

Instead of quoting the price in something utterly useless, how about doing the calculation with a more useful commodity. Like Oil.

Otherwise known as Gold Buggery :D

Agreed. The fact that gold still holds such fascination for some and still commands such high prices shows how little we have moved on from our primitive beginnings.

Agreed. The fact that gold still holds such fascination for some and still commands such high prices shows how little we have moved on from our primitive beginnings.

Is it any good on bread?

LOL, if youd piled into oil at its top of $147 a barrel, youd be doing even worse than if youd have bought a house at the same prices. Then again, it fell to thirty something thereafter.

As always, the commodity/asset/object isnt important, timing is.

OTOH, prime London property seems to have outshone everything, including gold, so maybe it is.