House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

Lib Con Coalition Collapses

http://conservativehome.blogs.com/localgovernment/2010/09/labour-take-over-at-blackburn-with-darwen-council.html

Apparently Labour have taken over at Blackburn-with-Darwen Council. This doesn't have any bearing on the Government whatsoever,  but probably shows the strains at grass roots level.

Can't wait for the Lib Dem conference.

Apparently Labour have taken over at Blackburn-with-Darwen Council. This doesn't have any bearing on the Government whatsoever,  but probably shows the strains at grass roots level.

Can't wait for the Lib Dem conference.

The bit where Cleggy explains how he sold out the entire party for a chance of playing at power, the bit where Vince explains why Osbourne was absolutely right about everything, ever, or the bit where both get hung, drawn, quartered and set on fire by a bunch of bearded sandal wearers?

The bit where Cleggy explains how he sold out the entire party for a chance of playing at power, the bit where Vince explains why Osbourne was absolutely right about everything, ever, or the bit where both get hung, drawn, quartered and set on fire by a bunch of bearded sandal wearers?

That is a pretty succinct summary.My local LD Councillor, a beared,sandal wearing version of Roy Cropper is less than happy.

If there's mass industrial action and unrest over the coming public spending cuts, that will drive a wedge beteween grass-roots Lib Dems and grass-roots Tories. That will undermine the coalition, possibly to the point of collapse. The resulting minority Tory government will be forced to go to the polls. By then David Milliband will probably be the Labour Leader, and might be Prime Minister sooner than he imagined!.

I have often thought that the reason we have such bad councillors is because these social retards are the only ones prepared to do the job.

It'a job I did for fourteen years and I can tell you it's thankless.About one in three councillors has sufficient nouse to know his own a*** from a hole in the ground.The rest are there for a variety of reasons.In the last decade it has become virtually impossible for the political parties to get people to stand.You get abuse from the public, especially on issues like planning where aggrieved applicants and/or objectors give it to you from each side.

Fair enough.

I knew a few people who stood. As you say, it seems that whoever stands gets in. The people that stood were often low grade politics students who thought that by having local gov authority somehow made their choice of A Level worthwhile.

Of a council comprised of 48 I reckon that there were about 6 Labour and 6 Tory ones worth their salt.A couple of LD's and an independent.Once in a planning meeting this old guy who looked like the little bald chap in Benny Hill dozed off.When he woke up he asked a question relating to an item about four back in the agenda.

I have often thought that the reason we have such bad councillors is because these social retards are the only ones prepared to do the job.

Hey! I wear sandals sometimes when going out for my copy of the Guardian..

With socks? That's the real crime.

No, I'd only do that if I were attending a conference of Daily Mail readers. The number of deaths from apoplexy would be worth it...

If there's mass industrial action and unrest over the coming public spending cuts, that will drive a wedge beteween grass-roots Lib Dems and grass-roots Tories. That will undermine the coalition, possibly to the point of collapse. The resulting minority Tory government will be forced to go to the polls. By then David Milliband will probably be the Labour Leader, and might be Prime Minister sooner than he imagined!.

All too plausible IMO.

If Milliband wants to inherit this mess, more fool him.

Clegg totally bumraped his party and has probably consigned them to history.

Scenario 1: Everyone loves the Cameron government. Then why not vote in more tories and sod the Lib Dems?

Scenario 2: Everyone hates the Cameron government. Lid Dems guilty by association.

Worse, Clegg didn't get very much at all from propping up the tories. He gets a possible vote on the 'alternative votes' system, which was never a Lid Dem idea. He should have got full on PR or no deal.

What a freaking tool.

The power switch came about after the coalition (comprising of Conservative, Liberal and For Darwen parties) mooted a proposal for the closure of Shadsworth Leisure Centre along with further cuts to community centre funding.

In protest to the proposal two For Darwen party Councillors, Trevor Maxfield and Anthony Meleady, lent their allegiance to Kate Hollern's Labour administration.

http://www.clicklancashire.com/news/local-news/128182-labour-take-over-blackburn-and-darwen.html

So the coalition didn't fail?