House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Misanthrope

Do As The Estate Agents Did...

During the 'boom' years, Estate Agents ritualistically thought of a number and added 10%.

It is now the honour bound duty, of every proceedable Buyer out there, to think of a below asking price number and subtract a minimum of 10%.

It is now a bona fide Buyers market. It's your call - not the Sellers.

So few Buyers.

Remain steadfast to the cause.

During the 'boom' years, Estate Agents ritualistically thought of a number and added 10%.

It is now the honour bound duty, of every proceedable Buyer out there, to think of a below asking price number and subtract a minimum of 10%.

It is now a bona fide Buyers market. It's your call - not the Sellers.

So few Buyers.

Remain steadfast to the cause.

Best not to make any offers atall at the moment. Interest rates will rise, unemployment will soon be rising, cuts will cause quite difficult times and reduce confidence, shops will find it tough, builders and surveyors and EA's are heading for tougher times again, the rest of the economy will feel a chill wind. Food, clothes and footwear will become more expensive along with taxes and some fuels. Other asset prices will generally fall. There may well be a gold/silver correction before inflationary pressure will ensure their rise and fiat currency failure.

Best not to make any offers atall at the moment. Interest rates will rise, unemployment will soon be rising, cuts will cause quite difficult times and reduce confidence, shops will find it tough, builders and surveyors and EA's are heading for tougher times again, the rest of the economy will feel a chill wind. Food, clothes and footwear will become more expensive along with taxes and some fuels. Other asset prices will generally fall. There may well be a gold/silver correction before inflationary pressure will ensure their rise and fiat currency failure.

+1

Just sit back and watch the EAs squirm fir now. Then demand 30% off.

Estate Agents fully expect you to offer at least 10% below asking price, on rentals, and sales anyway.

I know a lot stick up for them. But they really are low.

Have some fun with them. Put them under as much pressure as possible. Treat them like crap. They will take a hell of a lot of stick, if they think there is a genuine possibility of a sale.

Also, occasionally, just for the hell of it, I would recommend withholding your phone number, picking one at random, and calling them to arrange a meeting at a property, then simply don't turn up.

Just out of pure spite..........

If and when house prices do drop back down to an acceptable level, and I finally have the opportunity to buy my first house, I will be doing everything possible to try and cut out the estate agent altogether.

Exploring websites whom offer direct sales by the owners for instance.

Estate Agents have played a huge part in this mess. [And they seem to truly hate people who frequent the HPC website]

Not seeing us as normal people who have been priced out, through no fault of our own. Rather as the 'enemy' who are doing everything possible to push house prices lower.

Edited by Dan1

*duplicate post*

Edited by Dan1

yeah good luck with that

FTSE up 10% this month

inflation >3%

lower unemployment

global growth

but good luck all the same

What's global growth got to do with the UK? Lower unemployment? Interesting. Inflation, still above the 2% target so will lead to IR rises. Mind you I admire your bullishness on house prices. EA by any chance?

Some here couldn't spot a bargain if it fell on them.

Depending what u call a bargain? Lot of sheeples bought dump houses.. Since i am living in uk i haven't seen yet a bargain because i guess we haven't the same definition of what should be a HOME...

Edited by Menie

Depending what u call a bargain? Lot of sheeples bought dump houses.. Since i am living in uk i haven't seen yet a bargain because i guess we haven't the same definition of what should be a HOME...

The fact that you (and many others) refer to the general public as 'sheeple' shows a huge amount of arrogance.

The 'sheeple' have done OK out of property so far, haven't they?

Something for the future......

[When residential houses lose over 50% of their present overinflated price tags. And First Time Buyers return to the market.]

It would be a very welcome idea to start a thread, [CUT OUT THE ESTATE AGENT] and really 'push' websites, and companies, whom offer direct sales from owners.

With a little bit of research, I am sure we can put together a list of these companies, and encourage the many tens of thousands of First Time Buyers who have been 'priced out' and whom regularly frequent this site, to begin their search for their new home, by initially attempting to cut out the Estate Agent.

:):):)

Edited by Dan1

If we are sharing anecdotes here is mine from this week ....

I have just kicked off the process of looking for new BTLs and the area I am interested in has around 80 properties on RM of the type of housing I am after.

So chatting to the EAs that I used for my previous purchases I introduced myself again saying I'm looking for 5 properties and I am a CASH buyer and was calling to try and get a feel of the local market.

Currently the sellers are only starting to accept 10% off peak (on houses now being advertised at 5% off peak).

I asked about one house and the owners have rejected a price of ~20% off peak and it is currently on the market at ~7% off peak. The EA was quite enraged about the 'unrealistic' offer that was put forward and I said that as a cash buyer I wouldn't have offered so high! I could feel the air go cold.

To end the conversation I just said that the market has further to fall and I'll be back in December when sellers will see more competition from other houses on the market and maybe they would be more realistic in a few months time.

I'm happy to play the waiting game as the returns are 6% on houses now and I should get 8% in a the housing market in the New Year.