House Price Crash Forum
MrB

Clegg In The Guardian

Nothing overly exciting in the article, all a bit dull and sensible. Yet the diatribe of whining from Guardianists is a sight to behold.......

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/sep/16/clegg-defends-benefits-cuts

Guardian readers are in general a funny lot. Clegg has not said anything too controvertial here.

What exactly is wrong with this as a sentiment?:

A fair society, he wrote, was "one in which people are able to make a better life for themselves, with support from government and the broader community".

Guardian readers are in general a funny lot.

to be honest, telegraph readers were just as strange in 1997 at the end of 4 terms in government - took a long time to adjust to relating to the world in a non-entitled way

to be honest, telegraph readers were just as strange in 1997 at the end of 4 terms in government - took a long time to adjust to relating to the world in a non-entitled way

Yes, I guess Telegraph readers are a strage lot in general too, equally blinkered but at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Yes, I guess Telegraph readers are a strage lot in general too, equally blinkered but at the opposite end of the spectrum.

do you think they are that bad?

and now then, who's normal?

Guardian readers are in general a funny lot. Clegg has not said anything too controvertial here.

What exactly is wrong with this as a sentiment?:

A fair society, he wrote, was "one in which people are able to make a better life for themselves, with support from government and the broader community".

The problem is they are going to chop the legs from under the poor and give them feck all, while the bankers get away with billions of pounds in bonuses.

Its like the other catch phrase that drives me nuts and makes me want to hunt people down with a snipers rifle "we are all in this together", unless you are a banker, politician, landowner, rich, non-dom, BBC employee, etc.

The problem is they are going to chop the legs from under the poor and give them feck all, while the bankers get away with billions of pounds in bonuses.

the problem is that the self-proclaimed party that supports the poor under Herr Brown allowed bankers to keep their bonuses in the first place, out of its own rank incompetence

the problem is that the self-proclaimed party that supports the poor under Herr Brown allowed bankers to keep their bonuses in the first place, out of its own rank incompetence

I wouldn't spit on Brown if he was on fire.

However Dave and Nick have done nothing to correct the imbalances and they are the ones that volunteered for the job.

Really this must be the end of the LibDems as a serious party. The coalition with the tories is as disastrous for them as the blinkered left politics of Labour in the 80s.

Welcome back to Labour LibDem voters

The above is my favourite from the comments section.

Do you hear that Lib Dems abandon actual government and go back to being a serious party. :lol::lol:

I wouldn't spit on Brown if he was on fire.

However Dave and Nick have done nothing to correct the imbalances and they are the ones that volunteered for the job.

if you are referring to bankers bonuses - there is just about nothing they can do about it now directly

Nick spent most of hid time studying and working it easy jobs, he like cam have never worked to live but worked just to say they work, they seem to be attacking the poor on all fronts, but what about the prople that caused this mess? why havent they attacked bankers, BTL landlords EAs and anyone else that has created part of this mess? Seems to me since the 1st time they started to attack the poor and capital gains tax that they are bad for the poor and will never govern this country again, they have just handed labour their next victory.

Nick spent most of hid time studying and working it easy jobs, he like cam have never worked to live but worked just to say they work, they seem to be attacking the poor on all fronts, but what about the prople that caused this mess? why havent they attacked bankers, BTL landlords EAs and anyone else that has created part of this mess? Seems to me since the 1st time they started to attack the poor and capital gains tax that they are bad for the poor and will never govern this country again, they have just handed labour their next victory.

are you functionally illiterate or something, have you not read the above posts?

are you functionally illiterate or something, have you not read the above posts?

if you are referring to bankers bonuses - there is just about nothing they can do about it now directly

If you refering to that, there is always something they can do, if there a will theres a way, if not i posted to say what i think about this government.

Its like the other catch phrase that drives me nuts and makes me want to hunt people down with a snipers rifle "we are all in this together", unless you are a banker, politician, landowner, rich, non-dom, BBC employee, etc.

Yep...You are going to see a lot more on the breadline being made homeless in the next few months and years. I've personally seen this worrying trend get worse over the last few months... whereas those at the top will just carry on as normal..

If you refering to that, there is always something they can do, if there a will theres a way, if not i posted to say what i think about this government.

sorry but this is the real world - as disgusted as I am with the investment banking (et al) industry, whatever you do will probably have greater and nastier unintended long term impacts on the poor in this country

we can (and probably should) reduce the importance of international finance in the UK's economy

however, if you try to introduce retrospective fines onto sections of the banking sector then they will just find ways to circumvent them at greater cost to (1) efficiency of the economy (we still need good banking even if there are a fair few bad eggs) and (2) future inward investment

essentially what you propose is nationally cutting off our (pinnochio bankers) nose in order to spite our (working class) face

not clever, even tho it is emotionally tempting

Edited by Si1

This is WHY i wanted Gordo to win, by now the sh*t would have hit the fan & he be off his head....

Mike

I've been having similar thoughts recently.

It would have been much much nicer to watch. Labour fully deserved it.

The problem is that we would have to suffer with them. Though sometimes I think it would be worth it.

sorry but this is the real world - as disgusted as I am with the investment banking (et al) industry, whatever you do will probably have greater and nastier unintended long term impacts on the poor in this country

we can (and probably should) reduce the importance of international finance in the UK's economy

however, if you try to introduce retrospective fines onto sections of the banking sector then they will just find ways to circumvent them at greater cost to (1) efficiency of the economy (we still need good banking even if there are a fair few bad eggs) and (2) future inward investment

essentially what you propose is nationally cutting off our (pinnochio bankers) nose in order to spite our (working class) face

not clever, even tho it is emotionally tempting

I am sorry but this is ********, the government owns a large part of the banking sector. These bankers need to be controlled, the ones who haven't been bailed out I couldn't give a toss about as I am not paying for it.

They don't even have to pass legislation, fire the bankers that are still getting bonuses and hire new ones with different contracts.

Tax wise it would be quite simple to tax income above a certain level so it wasn't viable.

In addition to this the bankers aren't doing anything worthwhile, in fact they are doing more harm to the country. Bonuses are ongoing they got away with it under the Labour, we are all supposed to be in it together time for the new government to prove it.

I've been having similar thoughts recently.

It would have been much much nicer to watch. Labour fully deserved it.

The problem is that we would have to suffer with them. Though sometimes I think it would be worth it.

Labour have fully shifted this whole mess from themselves to the conservatives. They said, we don't need to cut now, we can wait a while before needing cuts. The tories said lets get on with it. End result, instead of the conservatives giving them a good hammering they had to form a coalition. Now, all the pain coming will be because of excessive tory cuts.

I wish labour had got in again too, even though we would have to suffer them, mainly because I think we'll have to suffer them after the next general election. So might as well give them their turn now, so they'll be the ones out of office for a few terms at the next election, not the tories.