House Price Crash Forum
Chrysalis

Unsure About Potential Landlady

Ok I am needing to move mainly for health reasons and as I claim houising benefit have very limited choice in the market.

I found by chance a private landlady not using a letting agent in the area i want to move to and negotiated with her and she is willing to take me on, however I negotiated too far so then renegotiated saying I didnt have so much ready cash and now the deal is this. The reason i did that is I feel the risk of them doing a runner is too high now as they seem desperate for cash.

I pay 3 months rent in advance.

Bond to be sorted out during the initial 6 months.

initial 6 month agreement but will be renewed for longer after.

she pays half of cost of fitting a BT line. (installation)

In addition the place has no central heating, no gas at all, so all electric. single glazed, no carpet in living room, no curtians, storage heaters, card meter for electric.

Obviously the heating cost will be very high for water and heating, so I negotiated 25 a month of the asking price, which I suspect will be added on first renewal, they agreed to put up curtians, supply a couple of rugs for living room and a heater for the living room as that has no heater at all. I plan to buy a oil radiator tho as probably cheaper than normal electric heaters.

Suddenly I have a concern of paying 3 months up front and something then going wrong ie. they scam me and I dont get the flat, worried they not paid mortgage or something. So would like to check if possible. Also management fees were mentioned to my dad when he did a 2nd visit, he got the impression I wa sbeen asked to pay them on top of rent so told me. When I asked the landlady she said dont worry she will handle them but I am sitting here thinking what management fees would a landlady be paying who doesnt use a LA? my dad said she said £80 a month.

Also any reccomended companies that will move furniture from east midlands to norfolk?

Edited by Chrysalis

Ok I am needing to move mainly for health reasons and as I claim houising benefit have very limited choice in the market.

I found by chance a private landlady not using a letting agent in the area i want to move to and negotiated with her and she is willing to take me on, however I negotiated too far so then renegotiated saying I didnt have so much ready cash and now the deal is this. The reason i did that is I feel the risk of them doing a runner is too high now as they seem desperate for cash.

I pay 3 months rent in advance.

Bond to be sorted out during the initial 6 months.

initial 6 month agreement but will be renewed for longer after.

she pays half of cost of fitting a BT line. (installation)

In addition the place has no central heating, no gas at all, so all electric. single glazed, no carpet in living room, no curtians, storage heaters, card meter for electric.

Obviously the heating cost will be very high for water and heating, so I negotiated 25 a month of the asking price, which I suspect will be added on first renewal, they agreed to put up curtians, supply a couple of rugs for living room and a heater for the living room as that has no heater at all. I plan to buy a oil radiator tho as probably cheaper than normal electric heaters.

Suddenly I have a concern of paying 3 months up front and something then going wrong ie. they scam me and I dont get the flat, worried they not paid mortgage or something. So would like to check if possible. Also management fees were mentioned to my dad when he did a 2nd visit, he got the impression I wa sbeen asked to pay them on top of rent so told me. When I asked the landlady she said dont worry she will handle them but I am sitting here thinking what management fees would a landlady be paying who doesnt use a LA? my dad said she said £80 a month.

Also any reccomended companies that will move furniture from east midlands to norfolk?

You should get everything in a proper written AST contract BEFORE you hand over any money. Note also that any deposit should be protected in one of the 3 government approved deposit protection schemes.

The following links may be of use to you:

Government website on tenancies

Shelter - tenancy deposits

Shelter - Rental Agreements

Three months rent in advance seems quite extreme, and certainly raises my suspicions in conjunction with the landlady wanting to "sort the bond out later." Normally, you pay one or one and a half months rent as a deposit/bond and one month in advance. Given this, I would require two months of the initial three requested to be deposited with one of the government approved deposit protection schemes. This protects both you and her. This should be non-negotiable, and she should inform you which scheme she will be using. You can check with them if the deposit has been lodged. (Your land lord is meant ot provide you with proof of this within 14 days of you paying the deposit.) Furthermore, ensure that a proper detailed inventory is taken when you move in, and that you and that you get a signed copy. make sure you get a receipt for any money paid. This is non-negotiable.

From your posting style you sound quite young or at least inexperienced when it comes to renting, and therefore a potential target for the unscrupulous. The flat sounds dreadful (no heating etc.) and might well be unbearable (and damp?) in winter. Moreover, from what you have written, at best, your potential landlady sounds like an amateur who is unaware of the law, which may very well lead to problems for you in the future. At worst, there is always the chance she could be a potential scammer. You'll have to trust your instincts on that one. From what you have written, if it were me, I would consider finding somewhere else to live.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Are you sure about that? Most agents say no benefits, but they rarely mean it when it's the difference between a tenant and no tenant. Downstairs from me right now is a case in point. I recollect viewing a very pleasant house where a benefits claimant (twentysomething single mother, two sprogs) outbid me, explaining (to the agent) that it costs her nothing because HB will pay.

Suddenly I have a concern of paying 3 months up front and something then going wrong ie. they scam me and I dont get the flat, worried they not paid mortgage or something.

It doesn't necessarily mean anything's wrong: six months up front is common for the self-employed. But take a look at http://www.lovemoney.com/news/make-good-property-decisions/renting-your-home/the-dodgy-landlord-scammers-5450.aspx and ponder the possibilities.

yep as soon as I mentioned not in full time employment both LA's inthe area put the phone down on me, they have got dozens of properties empty for months but still dont want any benefit claimants. Its a lowish employment area as well as its seasonal work mainly.

Edited by Chrysalis

the three months isn't so bad if you have a valid AST as you can't be evicted(IIRC) whislt in the inital 6 months.

Of course!

Nevertheless, a landlord asking for it could be a warning sign. Could for example be a criminal who has gained squatter entry to someone else's property, and will disappear with the money. Hence the URL I cited for reading.