House Price Crash Forum

How More And More Of Us Have An Inflated Sense Of Our Own Fabulousness

HOLA441

This is an article in the Mail about the growing dangers of Narcissism within Society - it is aimed at Women but I think it can equally apply to both genders.

The comments about credit and debt are interesting.

What researchers have also identified, and are far more worried about, is what has been described as 'normal' narcissism - a cultural shift that has seen even non-narcissistic people seduced by the emphasis on material wealth, physical appearance and celebrity worship.

The researchers believe our culture brings out narcissistic behaviour in almost all of us.

They blame the internet (where 'fame' is a click away), reality television (where the lure of fame without talent is most prevalent), easy credit (which enables people to buy far beyond their ability to pay), celebrity worship, our highly consumerist, competitive and individualistic society, and a generation of indulgent parents who have raised their children to think they're special, amazing and perfect.

According to Twenge, this focus on self-admiration has caused a cultural flight from reality to the land of grandiose fantasy.

We have phony rich people (who actually have massive mortgages and piles of debt), phony beauty (via plastic surgery), phony celebrities (via reality TV and YouTube), phony genius students (with grade inflation) and phony friends (with the social networking explosion).

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1213212/The-ego-epidemic-more-inflated-sense-fabulousness.html#ixzz0zhbN4Ebl

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

This is an article in the Mail about the growing dangers of Narcissism within Society - it is aimed at Women but I think it can equally apply to both genders.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1213212/The-ego-epidemic-more-inflated-sense-fabulousness.html#ixzz0zhbN4Ebl

It has always been called decadence in the past (no doubt it will be labelled correctly as such in future history books). It is text book market/cycle peak behaviour (another standard warning of the size of this event we are unfortunate enough to be taking part in), just another reason why its in the process of massive centurial collapse

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

The phoney rich thing is spot on. I know of people who I always thought were loaded but in some cases are turning out to have nothing.

It's quite pathetic really, and every now and then you see these sort of people in the news buring their houses down and killing their families.

HOLA446

The phoney rich thing is spot on. I know of people who I always thought were loaded but in some cases are turning out to have nothing.

It's quite pathetic really, and every now and then you see these sort of people in the news buring their houses down and killing their families.

a quite heartwarming anecdote

Do you do kids parties as a sideline?

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

HOLA447

I think we will see a lot of people who had enormous paper wealth suddenly finding themselves worthless.

Still at least they won't have been lent millions on their imaginary wealth.

HOLA448
HOLA449

I knew it would happen one day - a decent article in the DM!

The stuff about the expectations of the 30-40yr olds on the dating sites is exactly in accordance with the experiences of a few of my male pals as related to me. Plain women of average intelligence who are waiting for George Clooney (but 10 years younger than George is now) to sweep in, shower them with gifts and fly them away to wonderland on a private jet.

Of course, there is a good reason why these women (and men) are on dating sites in the first place, so they are not an entirely representative sample.

Sex and the City is a bit like Coronation Street - some people seem to think it's a factual programme based in reality, and not a piece of light entertainment. I know one couple where whenever we go out with them, she drags us to all the "happening" bars, then proceeds to bitch about all the younger, fitter looking women. She constantly wears ridiculous shoes - usually completely inappropriate for any given situation - and you are always left with the impression she is "settling" for her partner, despite the fact she ain't no oil painting and he's not bad looking (in a totally hetro kind of way, obviously).

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Doesn't the Daily Mail also run advertisements for cosmetics, "win a cottage in the cotswolds" and all manner of consumer tat and useless gadgets?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

IPlain women of average intelligence who are waiting for George Clooney (but 10 years younger than George is now) to sweep in, shower them with gifts and fly them away to wonderland on a private jet.

I am always astonished that so many women are convinced George is straight, let alone think they might have a chance. I guess it's Cary Grant all over again...

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

The delusional decadence of the masses is coming to an end, thanks to unemployment, inflation and currency debasement.

What I can't understand is why some people feel the need to create a persona giving an impression they are something that they are not, I find if you are open and truthful people feel more of an empathy towards you and are far more likely to go out of their way to help and assist...

...make do and mend...the best things in life are free. ;)

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Surely the need to have the rich lifestyle, even if it is a lie, is indicative that people feel LESS fabulous and need these things to convince them otherwise?!

I think there is a big difference between people who strive to make themselves look fabulous and people who truly believe they are.

HOLA4423

What I can't understand is why some people feel the need to create a persona giving an impression they are something that they are not, I find if you are open and truthful people feel more of an empathy towards you and are far more likely to go out of their way to help and assist...

...make do and mend...the best things in life are free. wink.gif

Inadequacy.

HOLA4424

What I can't understand is why some people feel the need to create a persona giving an impression they are something that they are not,

I don't pretend to understand the psychology involved but I have noticed that people like this have a certain synthetic quality - like they are puffed up with hot air or something. Plus a tendency to avoid direct eye contact and if they do momentarily make eye contact their eyes flicker with uncertainty.

Why bother? Who needs the stress of maintaining a pretence and feeling a fraud? Can't be healthy.

HOLA4425

I don't pretend to understand the psychology involved but I have noticed that people like this have a certain synthetic quality - like they are puffed up with hot air or something. Plus a tendency to avoid direct eye contact and if they do momentarily make eye contact their eyes flicker with uncertainty.

Why bother? Who needs the stress of maintaining a pretence and feeling a fraud? Can't be healthy.

Socrates' guiding maxim was to "Know Thyself." These sage words remain unerringly prescient.