House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
xux42

"profits Up" At Retailers

Why is it that when a large companies makes a overall loss due to acquisition & redundancy they always talk about mythical "Underlying Profits", yet when they make overall profit due to the short term gains via unsustainable squeezes on suppliers or disposals etc., they never refer to "Underlying Losses".

Just something that popped into my head hearing a couple of retailers crowing this morning.

Why is it that when a large companies makes a overall loss due to acquisition & redundancy they always talk about mythical "Underlying Profits", yet when they make overall profit due to the short term gains via unsustainable squeezes on suppliers or disposals etc., they never refer to "Underlying Losses".

They make cuts and their business remain functional to a large extent. They cut again and things go down the pan.

I'm seeing this, staff cut to a level where if someone is off sick everything dysfunctions...and of course, the more hours are cut the more sick days caused by having to do two peoples job. Interesting to watch though...

They make cuts and their business remain functional to a large extent. They cut again and things go down the pan.

I'm seeing this, staff cut to a level where if someone is off sick everything dysfunctions...and of course, the more hours are cut the more sick days caused by having to do two peoples job. Interesting to watch though...

I see that too. The baffling thing is the existing staff don't seem to twig that their managers have caused the problem not them and try to compensate getting all stressed.

The right answer is to point to the mess and say to the responsible manager 'look what you did'.

In a friendly discreet way of course if you want to keep the job.

They know they caused the mess, don't let them get away with it by plugging the holes - unless they give you more cash of course.

I see that too. The baffling thing is the existing staff don't seem to twig that their managers have caused the problem not them and try to compensate getting all stressed.

The right answer is to point to the mess and say to the responsible manager 'look what you did'.

In a friendly discreet way of course if you want to keep the job.

They know they caused the mess, don't let them get away with it by plugging the holes - unless they give you more cash of course.

I don't really care enough to bother, just keep on at my own pace. If others can't understand what's happening that's their problem....mind you, come to think of it I've had a word with a couple of the young lads and found them repeating my own words back to me!

Perhaps it goes beyond middle managers, managers and head office. This is Kondratiev's freezing bloody winter starting?

the more hours are cut the more sick days caused by having to do two peoples job. Interesting to watch though...

What do you do? Circa 2006-2007 I was doing 3 peoples jobs.... they kept piling it on and on, until I left at which they distributed it to the rest of the staff and again piled it on.

What do you do? Circa 2006-2007 I was doing 3 peoples jobs.... they kept piling it on and on, until I left at which they distributed it to the rest of the staff and again piled it on.

In my case I'm just part-time but anyway I go at my own pace. Remain calm and composed, don't rush and you will cover more ground. Do the job and if you lose it then see it as neither good nor bad.

I guess I'm influenced by those old blokes from China and Japan!

Just something that popped into my head hearing a couple of retailers crowing this morning.

Pretend/Enron accounting. The hollowing out and CEO chest beating can only continue so long (probably New Year 2011), before there’s a surprise administrator appointed.

Pretend/Enron accounting. The hollowing out and CEO chest beating can only continue so long (probably New Year 2011), before there’s a surprise administrator appointed.

Yep. Difficult to put dates on it but Yep.