House Price Crash Forum
exiges

More Private Vs Public Sector Data

AVERAGE WEEKLY EARNINGS 3mth / YoY figures

JULY JUNE

Private Sector 1.2 0.6

Public Sector 2.7 2.9

http://www.lse.co.uk/FinanceNews.asp?ArticleCode=os6ilghj48tpt4g&ArticleHeadline=TABLEUK_jobless_claimant_count_rises_unexpectedly_in_Aug

Also an excerpt from the Tax Payers Alliance

The figures show wages in the public sector, whose ranks have swelled by 914,000 to six million since 1997, are rising by 2.8 per cent a year, compared with 1.1 per cent in the private sector.

Public sector staff are also working fewer days each week – 35 hours on average, against 37.5 hours for workers in privately owned firms – and have three or four more days annual leave.

http://www.taxpayersalliance.com/media/

Edited by exiges

JULY JUNE

Private Sector 1.2 0.6

Public Sector 2.7 2.9

http://www.lse.co.uk/FinanceNews.asp?ArticleCode=os6ilghj48tpt4g&ArticleHeadline=TABLEUK_jobless_claimant_count_rises_unexpectedly_in_Aug

Thank fukc for that.

My earnings AND house price have increased in tandem.

Cheers for the info.

So many private sector workers are grossly underpaid for the work they do. Like look at women working the till at the grocery store. I go and buy £100 worth of groceries. The lady treats me well, knows the system, puts on a smile when I'm sure often she doesn't feel like it.

Is she worth say £3 pounds of my £100? I'd say so yes. Well throughout a whole day many push through £15,000 pounds a day.. through their till. If she got merely 2% of that volume, it would work out to £450 in income for her, for the 8 hour shift.

That is £56.25 an hour for her labour. Unimaginable in modern Britain.. even £15 an hour is considered outrageous to be paying a worker by most British business.

Edited by aa3

So many private sector workers are grossly underpaid for the work they do. Like look at women working the till at the grocery store. I go and buy £100 worth of groceries. The lady treats me well, knows the system, puts on a smile when I'm sure often she doesn't feel like it.

Is she worth say £3 pounds of my £100? I'd say so yes. Well throughout a whole day many push through £15,000 pounds a day.. through their till. If she got merely 2% of that volume, it would work out to £450 in income for her, for the 8 hour shift.

That is £56.25 an hour for her labour. Unimaginable in modern Britain.. even £15 an hour is considered outrageous to be paying a worker by most British business.

Great logic. So if I work in an Accounts department and press the button on the monthly pay run which send £5m to suppliers, do you think I should pull down maybe £50-150k per month?

If you think she's worth it then you know where she's standing and you've got your money ready, but you do realise that outside your top retailers there are plenty of retail outlets whose entire profit margin is about that 3% of goods sold you just threw the way of the smiling girl on the till.

Edited by bogbrush

JULY JUNE

Private Sector 1.2 0.6

Public Sector 2.7 2.9

Now look at the average between when I started work in 1993, and now. Public sector pay was (and in my sector still is) abysmal. Pensions went some way towards making up for this.

Private sector employees I know had the finiancial time of their lives during the boom years, whilst anyone in the public sector trudged along in the pay stakes. The minute this has reversed, so that public sector workers finally have some benefits to staying loyal (pensions and job security) all of those things get removed.

I think the public is in for a bit of a shock when the spending review kicks off. Skilled public sector workers who are badly needed to keep the economy functioning will, quite rightly, not tolerate this treatment.

whilst anyone in the public sector trudged along in the pay stakes.

Nice anecdote but not true. Here's how private / public sector pay has changed since 2002, and you can see why the Private sector is rightly peeved that they've soley taken the brunt of the recession so far.

publicsectorDM_468x310.jpg

Edited by exiges

Nice anecdote but not true. Here's how private / public sector pay has changed since 2002, and you can see why the Private sector is rightly peeved that they've soley taken the brunt of the recession so far.

Nice, now can you provide data for the 20 years before 2002 please.......?

Think we can see there that public sector workers were grossly underpaid in 2002 if they needed much larger rises (up to 75%!?) just to match what private sector workers earn now. Thanks for the info.

Public sector staff are also working fewer days each week – 35 hours on average, against 37.5 hours for workers in privately owned firms – and have three or four more days annual leave.

Must have been a private sector type who wrote that, public sector types would understand that hours and days are different units.

Think we can see there that public sector workers were grossly underpaid in 2002.

Not so, because you forget that Public sector pensions aren't factored into that which are substantially better than the Private sector. (On average £2500 more per annum)

So now they get paid more and have a better pension.

Bring on the cuts.

Edited by exiges

Not so, because you forget that Public sector pensions aren't factored into that which are substantially better than the Private sector. (On average £2500 more per annum)

So now they get paid more and have a better pension.

Bring on the cuts.

What about private sector bonuses and perks, are they factored in? Private marketing & sales managers will be on some walloping bonus schemes I expect. And teachers in private schools may earn less (but from what i see in edinburgh, not true) but they definitely get subsidised places at their schools for their own kids which can be worth thousands. Or even painters & decorators doing cash in hand jobs?

PS Where would you find private sector youth and community workers, or public sector security guards?

So long as we have porous borders letting in millions of folk happy to work for next to nothing, shes not underpaid, unfortunately.

What about private sector bonuses and perks, are they factored in?

What bonuses and perks?....

You seem to assume that the private sector is dripping perks and bonuses! Only bonus I could think of was the £25 bonus we got in 2006 when the whole office conspired to get this, as a result the bonus scheme was scrapped and the pay was frozen that year and more work was put onto us.

No wait I forgot when working for HSBC we were given a bowl of popcorn.....

And the other perk and bonus was constantly working in fear for your job and being bullied all of the time, great perks.

What bonuses and perks?....

You seem to assume that the private sector is dripping perks and bonuses! Only bonus I could think of was the £25 bonus we got in 2006 when the whole office conspired to get this, as a result the bonus scheme was scrapped and the pay was frozen that year and more work was put onto us.

No wait I forgot when working for HSBC we were given a bowl of popcorn.....

And the other perk and bonus was constantly working in fear for your job and being bullied all of the time, great perks.

That just sounds like a shit job, what's the point of working in a bank with no bonii? even the tellers at lloyds used to get subsidised share schemes (not looking so good an offer now though).

If you're not getting anything extra from working in the harsh, cruel private sector why not get a job in the public sector instead? Apparently more pay, more perks, all the sickies you can handle and less hours... choosing not to out of some sort of "uff uff uff i just couldn't uff uff uff" mentality is rather like choosing to stand outside the bus shelter when the sun's stopped shining and the hail starts falling...

If you're not getting anything extra from working in the harsh, cruel private sector why not get a job in the public sector instead? Apparently more pay, more perks, all the sickies you can handle and less hours... choosing not to out of some sort of "uff uff uff i just couldn't uff uff uff" mentality is rather like choosing to stand outside the bus shelter when the sun's stopped shining and the hail starts falling...

Closed shop.... although this doesn't happen everywhere it has been the experience of my biker group and many of my peers that to get things like council jobs you need to know somebody working there or be family with somebody working there. They still do have to go through the motions though and offer the job to outsiders and perform sham interviews though.

What about private sector bonuses and perks, are they factored in? Private marketing & sales managers will be on some walloping bonus schemes I expect. And teachers in private schools may earn less (but from what i see in edinburgh, not true) but they definitely get subsidised places at their schools for their own kids which can be worth thousands. Or even painters & decorators doing cash in hand jobs?

PS Where would you find private sector youth and community workers, or public sector security guards?

Ha ha ha ha, Walloping bonuses!!!!!

I work in this sector in the private sector and you are lucky to have a job mate. I have had 4 colleagues out of 12 made redundant, in the last 3 years we have had one just under inflation pay rise and a bonus each year that is a token (and we are thankful for it) compared to a commercial reflection of the work throughout the year ie a couple of £k.

I know of many other agencies and marketing teams that have gone through this – it is a commercial reality. A reality the public sector seems to think it is immune from!

As for your comment about the pay rises table posted by Exige – you are missing the point that these salaries are grossly inflated NOW and have been for sometime and it is NOT sustainable, unless you would like to see 450% debt to gdp go higher by 2020?!

The public sector has got to get real over this – i and many others are seriously upset at this grossly spoilt, naive entitlement come what may culture of the public sector, a sector funded by us.

:huh:

Sorry.......I get it now you were joking!

:lol::lol::lol:

Great logic. So if I work in an Accounts department and press the button on the monthly pay run which send £5m to suppliers, do you think I should pull down maybe £50-150k per month?

If you think she's worth it then you know where she's standing and you've got your money ready, but you do realise that outside your top retailers there are plenty of retail outlets whose entire profit margin is about that 3% of goods sold you just threw the way of the smiling girl on the till.

In the free market companies have no choice. If a company paid even 3% more of its revenue to its employees -and therefore gave them an all a healthy above living wage income, while the store down the street did not.. over time basically 100% of the customers would go to the cheaper store.

We're also back to what wunderpup has been saying.. that pay in the free market is determined by your replacement value. Not the value you are adding.

Sorry.......I get it now you were joking!

:lol::lol::lol:

It seems so outrageous that it appears I must be joking. But sadly that is the type of wages many Brits in the free market would be making if their pay was based on the value they were adding.

But since pay is based on replacement value, and there are millions of people from places like Eastern Europe who would be glad to work for an hourly rate equal to a cup of tea.. that is what the pay is.

Nice, now can you provide data for the 20 years before 2002 please.......?

I don't have the data, but it's irrelevant anyway. I could go to the archives and find figures for 1812 if that helps an argument for you.

We're talking about the situation we're in now

Now the public sector gets paid more, works less, has more time off, has a better pension and government cuts aside it takes a crowbar to get anyone out of their job.

I look forward to that changing.

Edited by exiges

Think we can see there that public sector workers were grossly underpaid in 2002 if they needed much larger rises (up to 75%!?) just to match what private sector workers earn now. Thanks for the info.

Agreed - a classic own goal. In all of the jobs listed bar 2, public sector workers earned less than private sector workers in 2002 - in most cases significantly less if you do the maths. I started work in 1993 and have always earned less than my private sector counterparts, many of whom also had good or final salary pension schemes (IBM, HSBC, BT etc) as well as share options, company cars, company hospitality, private healthcare etc. There are no equivalent perks in the public sector.

So public sector pay surpassed private sector pay (not in my sector incidentally, today) somewhere between 2003 and 2009. Judging by the massive shortfall in public sector pay in 2003 I would assume this was within the last couple of years.

Conclusion: SInce 1993, private sector workers have had better pay and benefits in all bar the last couple of years or so. And now the boom time has finished they want public sector workers to pay for the former largesse of their employers as well.

Thanks for pointing this out.

long winded swerve to skirt the issue

That will be a no then.

Yet you are indeed right, public sector pay levels will eventually shrink back to below private sector equivalents. Where they always have been on LONG term trends.

Agreed - a classic own goal. In all of the jobs listed bar 2, public sector workers earned less than private sector workers in 2002 - in most cases significantly less if you do the maths. I started work in 1993 and have always earned less than my private sector counterparts, many of whom also had good or final salary pension schemes (IBM, HSBC, BT etc) as well as share options, company cars, company hospitality, private healthcare etc. There are no equivalent perks in the public sector.

So public sector pay surpassed private sector pay (not in my sector incidentally, today) somewhere between 2003 and 2009. Judging by the massive shortfall in public sector pay in 2003 I would assume this was within the last couple of years.

Conclusion: SInce 1993, private sector workers have had better pay and benefits in all bar the last couple of years or so. And now the boom time has finished they want public sector workers to pay for the former largesse of their employers as well.

Thanks for pointing this out.

:D

Nice one.

It always amazes me how selective many numerically savvy posters on here are, when prejudiced against a certain point of view. Spikes, blips and short term trends are not exclusive to investments and house prices. People need to get a grip and remember this.