House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pezerinno

Living In The Now

I have been thinking about this a lot recently after a forum member recommended me a couple of books on the subject but am having difficultly putting it into action. Does anyone here really live in the present, as though you might not be round tomorrow? I'm far too in my head which is ruining my life.

I have been thinking about this a lot recently after a forum member recommended me a couple of books on the subject but am having difficultly putting it into action. Does anyone here really live in the present, as though you might not be round tomorrow? I'm far too in my head which is ruining my life.

Yes, the bloke who recommended you the books.

You need to ground yourself - stop living in your head. You think too much. Stupidity has saved many a man from going insane, etc, etc.

It does not happen overnight - it takes years of retraining. It has taken you years to get the way you are now so it is not going to change overnight.

You have to work at it and work at it daily. It will come - in time... bit by bit...

Yes, my main focus is on doing the best I can every day. I spend smaller proportions of my time working to resolve any issues in my past and planning for the future.

Best book I've read on this (and it's very short) is The Present by Spencer Johnson

Have you thought about how you could contribute more from your thinking to the external world? e.g. writing, speaking, designing, mentoring, coaching etc.

Not sure that it is entirely possible to live completely in the "now" even though I have been practising for a few years now. It is hard work to practise and requires self discipline. After all this time I am doing well if I manage an hour spread throughout a typical busy day. I will say that I have found the mindfulness time to be invaluable to me on a deep level and provides me with some element of peace and shelter from the hectic pace of the world.

Over time I seem to have become calmer and now accept situations as being just that, situations which will change as all things do, & thoughts are just thoughts.

You can tell that I find this very hard to explain!

I would honestly say that it has helped me cope contently with situations that I would have struggled with years ago.

What has helped me connect with this mind set was by listening to the books instead of reading them. I have a few on my phone which I listen to snippets of regularly.

A particular favourite -

http://www.audible.co.uk/aduk/site/audibleSearch/searchResults.jsp?D=where+ever+you+go+there+you+are&Ntt=where+ever+you+go+there+you+are&Ntk=S_Keywords_Uk&Dx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&Ntx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&N=0&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Keep trying as you sound like your head will explode if it doesn't get some time out. I remember that feeling well. :(

I feel your pain - I am always looking six months to one year ahead and putting off pleasure now.

The problem is, when I get there and have achieved the goal, I just set up a new one for the future that's even more demanding.

I will look up the books above - thanks.

Best way to do it is to go travelling by yourself for a year or so. Although this does take planning and so is not totally 'living in the now' until you set off. Once you set off however there is great freedom just waking up every day and thinking "I didn't fancy that yesterday but I do today - I think I will head off to Laos for a week".

You literally do what you want, when you want every day. It is brilliant. ANd you need to be alone to do this. Travelling in groups is great but you always have to consider others. Being alone means you can be 100% selfish. And don't worry about being lonely or any of that shit. I have neve been so amicable than when I was travelling alone. It forces you to talk to people you would not normally if in a group. Starts off very scary but you very quickly get used to it. I am off to do it again in a few years. ****** it. Why not.

Although this plan has its downsides. If you return to 'normal' life you get bored VERY VERY quickly.

I know all about this.

I'm sure it is the book you've been recommended, but in case it's not... Eckhart Tolle "Practising The Power of Now" is what you need.

When I was a teenager, I suffered from depression caused very much by living in my head/persistent thinking/analysing/repetetive thought patterns which just totally overwhelmed me and made me feel so tired and spaced out all of the time. Almost as though I was living at the back/middle of my head, I liken it to metaphorically and even physically looking at the world through 2 empty tubes of toilet roll.

This will sound a bit weird but one day, feeling particularly hopeless, no job, no money. I just sat in front of the mirror and stared at myself, right into my eyes and relaxed my mind and breathing. I sat there staring for ages with a totally clear mind. I don't know why I did it, it just felt right. I suspose this was meditation. When I came out of it, it was like exiting a tunnel, Things were different, clearer, more 'real'. I was living at the tip of my eyeballs and able to go back into my mind when I needed it instead of it draining me. Close friends and family noticed a change in me a change which led to me securing work, better relationships/social life etc.

Mirror therapy. hmmmm, i might write a book .

Nobody truly lives in the now else nobody would be saving for a pension etc

I basically live for today but keep an eye on the future.

Going all in would be a bit much for me. I am quite an organised chap. Half and half seems a nice compromise.

If I drop dead tomorrow I will be chuffed at all the things I have done. However if I live till I am 80 I will hopefully still be in a position to live comfortably.

Who knows.

Going all in would be a bit much for me. I am quite an organised chap. Half and half seems a nice compromise.

If I drop dead tomorrow I will be chuffed at all the things I have done. However if I live till I am 80 I will hopefully still be in a position to live comfortably.

Who knows.

I had some de-stress therapy recently and she told me I was too scared to live in my own skin, so I still have an occasional mantra, mind in body. Works best when I am riding my bicycle and can feel the wind and smell smells, but I got what she meant.

I often get too bound up with worrying about the future too. To some extent we need to do that - otherwise we'd never achieve anything long-term.

But for living in the present, the best thing to do is to find absorbing activities - even simple ones like going for a walk - exploring the countryside. Or regularly doing a few hours voluntary work of a kind that you find interesting and enjoyable - helping restore a canal or something where you can see the result growing before your eyes. You'll be part of a team and that keeps you going, the toughest part is being the newbie.

I had some de-stress therapy recently and she told me I was too scared to live in my own skin, so I still have an occasional mantra, mind in body. Works best when I am riding my bicycle and can feel the wind and smell smells, but I got what she meant.

Yes - exercise does wonders for switching off.

Yes it will be unless you want to do it within 10 mins, its up to you

10 minutes? Go on then, what's it all about?

living in my head/persistent thinking/analysing/repetetive thought patterns which just totally overwhelmed me and made me feel so tired and spaced out all of the time. Almost as though I was living at the back/middle of my head, I liken it to metaphorically and even physically looking at the world through 2 empty tubes of toilet roll.

I can relate to this, I think this has happened to me on and off for years but I've never seen such an accurate description of it.

Who knows.

I would put me on a path with you, though I don't care too much for my future as an elderly person; lets face it, what would you want to do when you're 80 that you haven't already done? I'd be happy just to be able to remember the things I had done at that age. Life's too short to worry about the end. I'll probably regret this way of thinking if I ever make it to 80, but least I hadn't wasted my prime years thinking about it.

For me, the best part of life is kids, so I make the most with them now, cause I know regardless of how much money I've got at any stage of my life; I'll never have this again.

Excuse my ignorance, but who is she?

I don't know but Found out for you!

Entered the file name into Google:

article-0-0B3030BF000005DC-473_634x594.jpg

The Last Link is a Ukranian WebPage, which when translated into english tells you Heidi Montah, Google again and you get to the orginal daily Wail Article:

http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml

NSFW but everything covered strategically playboy pic of her is here:

http://wallpapers.skins.be/heidi-montag/heidi-montag-1920x1200-37705.jpg

I don't know but Found out for you!

Entered the file name into Google:

article-0-0B3030BF000005DC-473_634x594.jpg

The Last Link is a Ukranian WebPage, which when translated into english tells you Heidi Montah, Google again and you get to the orginal daily Wail Article:

http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml

NSFW but everything covered strategically playboy pic of her is here:

http://wallpapers.sk...x1200-37705.jpg

Good detective work, thanks! The rest of the Mail pics are also pretty high on woof factor but the stuff that a general web search throws up are nothing special. Funny how much difference a good photographer can make.