House Price Crash Forum
fellow

"public Sector Is Riddled With The Bone Idle"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1312093/Fire-chief-Tony-McGuirk-s-devastating-verdict-bone-idle-public-sector.html

The public services are riddled with ‘bone idle people’ who have damaged the productivity of the state sector, a leading fire chief has claimed.

In a withering attack on the malaise gripping the public sector, Tony McGuirk has warned that unless bosses are prepared to sack lazy workers, they will never make the kind of savings necessary to put the economy back on course.

Mr McGuirk, chief fire officer of Merseyside, sparked outrage at the TUC conference yesterday by saying that he has been able to slash staff numbers by 40 per cent and actually provide a better service.

He advised other public sector bosses to show ‘muscle, sack some people’.

‘We’ve got some bone idle people in the public sector. There, I said it – bone idle people.’

Mr McGuirk said he had slashed the number of firefighters from 1,550 to 850 during the past decade.

‘There is no need to close a fire station, we haven’t touched a single fire station.

‘Frontline is fire engines and fire stations, not firefighters. We provide a far better service with those 850 – more with less.’

He claimed that lazy workers had led to an ‘epidemic of sickness leave’ which had damaged productivity.

‘Here’s one of the things we did, get a grip on sickness. It is epidemic in the public sector.'

Mr McGuirk spoke out at a seminar organised by the centre-right think tank Reform – a transcript of which was circulated at the TUC yesterday.

His claim that it is possible to maintain frontline services with fewer staff will boost the Government’s case that its deficit reduction plans need not hurt public services.

Mr McGuirk said bosses should ‘manage performance, reward good performance, develop people with poor performance or ultimately sack them.

‘If they are not doing their job you have got to get rid of some people.’

The fire chief said that his cuts had led to personal abuse.

‘There were 2,000 people walking through Liverpool wearing shirts saying on the back “I hate McGuirk”,’ he said.

The Fire Brigades Union last night condemned his view.

General Secretary Matt Wrack said: ‘It’s very easy for people who do not risk their lives fighting fires to sneer at people who do.

‘Mr McGuirk is among the highest paid fire chiefs in the country, getting more than £200,000 a year. He is massively overpaid.

‘For that money we could get six fully trained firefighters, which would be a much better use of scarce resources.’

What he conveiniently forgets to mention is anyone over Junior manager level has been given accelerated wage rises well above rate of inflation for well over a decade.

Then he says the ordinary proles should work harder on their meagre pay levels (that have fallen way below 'real living' rates of inflation) - that they can't even buy a roof over their heads with!

Too many sick days you lose pay rise - NHS

I can't really see the problem here. 18 days in a year is shit loads. And even if it is all above board I don't see how you can expect to get paid more in the next year. People want everything for nothing.

I have averaged perhaps 1 sick day per year over the last 5 years. I am either:

(1) Superhuman

(2) Lucky

(3) Non lazy

Whilst all are possible, #3 is the most likely.

I can't really see the problem here. 18 days in a year is shit loads. And even if it is all above board I don't see how you can expect to get paid more in the next year. People want everything for nothing.

(1) Superhuman

(2) Lucky

(3) Non lazy

(4) You don't work in a building with hundreds of ill and infectious people.

What he conveiniently forgets to mention is anyone over Junior manager level has been given accelerated wage rises well above rate of inflation for well over a decade.

Then he says the ordinary proles should work harder on their meagre pay levels (that have fallen way below 'real living' rates of inflation) - that they can't even buy a roof over their heads with!

piggy troughy

(1) Superhuman

(2) Lucky

(3) Non lazy

The problem is that you (like many of my colleagues) go to work with a cold. You probably get one a year, sometimes two.

If someone works for the NHS, do you think that they should go to work with a cold?

tim

What percentage of people in a hospital have an airborne infection compared to those who work in an office with circulated air?

Figures would be good to know first.

The problem is that you (like many of my colleagues) go to work with a cold. You probably get one a year, sometimes two.

If someone works for the NHS, do you think that they should go to work with a cold?

tim

NHS infectious period for a cold NHS

"In adults and older children, symptoms usually last about a week,"

So five working days per cold. Two cold = ten days. 18 days is a lot. Duvet days are infectious though.

Haha you are on fire today!

Of course all public sector workers work in hospitals.

And people in hospitals are mostly there with infectious conditions.

(5) He is a contractor.

I think you'll find that most people still go to work when "ill" if they dont get paid when they take a sicky.

(1) Superhuman

(2) Lucky

(3) Non lazy

The average adult gets 2-4 colds per year, so it would suggest that you are in fact lucky, blessed with better health than average.

Unless of course, you are one of the idiots who goes to work drugged up on Lemsip and makes everyone else ill.

The average adult gets 2-4 colds per year, so it would suggest that you are in fact lucky, blessed with better health than average.

Unless of course, you are one of the idiots who goes to work drugged up on Lemsip and makes everyone else ill.

I suspect she's one of the people who realises that the common cold is a minor ailment that is no big deal, that when you get one it's "going around" anyway and in any case by the time she realised she had it she was almost through the infectious period anyway.

She's also probably not a knee-jerk apologist for lazy useless people.

Edit to add: "She" probably isn't a she anyway but I want ccc to be that girl in the picture.

Edited by bogbrush

To all these brave souls dragging themselves into work with colds, I hope your bosses recognise the sacrifices you're making and compensate you accordingly (never seen this happen myself but maybe thats just me..)

Surely the fire service must be ripe for cuts. What with smoking on the wane since the ban, very few open fires for domestic heating and widespread adoption of smoke alarms. There's the chopping the roof of a car wreck role but I would think the police could have the jaws of life in the back of a traffic car or get a local recovery operator to take it on.

My guess would be we're paying an awful lot of money out for people to sit around in fire stations playing cards in between painting and decorating jobs.

Also the advent of increased home-working must mean a retained fire-fighters operation could be far more efficiently manned.

NHS infectious period for a cold NHS

"In adults and older children, symptoms usually last about a week,"

So five working days per cold. Two cold = ten days. 18 days is a lot. Duvet days are infectious though.

Symptoms might last a week. However I doubt many need a week off work to cover the full period they have symptoms.

I was in a public sector canteen a few years ago and heard the following conversation:

1) You taken all your holidays this year?

2) Yes but I haven't touched my sick leave yet.

I later asked about this - staff were only referred to personnel when they exceeded 30 sick days per year. Anything less was regarded by staff as their "right" to take as additional leave - as everyone was doing it. Get rid of that and instant productivity improvement.

Symptoms might last a week. However I doubt many need a week off work to cover the full period they have symptoms.

I was in a public sector canteen a few years ago and heard the following conversation:

1) You taken all your holidays this year?

2) Yes but I haven't touched my sick leave yet.

I later asked about this - staff were only referred to personnel when they exceeded 30 sick days per year. Anything less was regarded by staff as their "right" to take as additional leave - as everyone was doing it. Get rid of that and instant productivity improvement.

:blink:

My last employer used to insist your manager had a chat with you after ONE day, let alone 30. One colleague got a written warning after she had a miscarriage, just because she'd had time off for a nasty bout of tonsilitis earlier in the year. Anything over TEN days, even with a sick note from your GP, had your head on the block.

****** I didn't think my comment owuld cause such uproar !!

"Annual NHS sickness levels are 10.7 days a year per employee, which compares to the public sector average of 9.7 days and the private sector average of 6.4 days"

So they take marginally more sick days than other public sector workers. So either they are already going to work with illnesses that they shouldn't. Or like some think - their constant exposure to disease means they get better natural immunity than the average person. (The old Doctors never off sick tale)

Either way - 18 is way to much to be complaining about. 8 more than the average taken today by them already.

:blink:

My last employer used to insist your manager had a chat with you after ONE day, let alone 30. One colleague got a written warning after she had a miscarriage, just because she'd had time off for a nasty bout of tonsilitis earlier in the year. Anything over TEN days, even with a sick note from your GP, had your head on the block.

Your last employer was a cu nt.

But I'll bet they had low absence rates and made mucho profit - and thats all that counts eh?

To all these brave souls dragging themselves into work with colds, I hope your bosses recognise the sacrifices you're making and compensate you accordingly (never seen this happen myself but maybe thats just me..)

You mean you don't get paid for turning up?

Have to admit I find it amusing when somebody like this fire chief, on over £200000 apparently, criticises his fellow workers. No wonder he isn't the most popular of people.

Complete waste of money. High calibre management will be falling over themselves to come and implement tough restructuring and spending cuts on highly unionised bolshie workforces for a salary no more than minimum wage. :rolleyes:

Your last employer was a cu nt.

But I'll bet they had low absence rates and made mucho profit - and thats all that counts eh?

And high turnover and probably not sustainably high profit.

You know what we do with sickness and lateness in my place? Full pay, no deductions and no top limit on sickness (we have paid people terminally ill for a good 18 months non-stop until they died). That's because if you're in the club your in the club......... but if we find that you're taking the mickey and pulling it down for everyone we fire you, fast as process allows.

We have low absence rates.

If bone idle workers are a problem, why don't they introduce stricter contracts. Simple, but effective. It wouldn't even need to be that strict, just measured. I suspect the existing ones are a shambles if this really is endemic. It's telling of the problem that a friend of mine had to go to the doctor with a back ailment and the doctor didn't even take him seriously. He was asked demeaning questions like "do you like your work?" and all that. Didn't even make an effort to heal the poor chap. The reason is obviously there is no shortage of workers faking an illnes - not only wasting the time of everyone involved, but actually making a visit to the GP a drama when most normal people only ever go to one as a last resort and probably wouldn't go again if they were treated like a baby. I say give the lazy the chop, there are no shortage of people who want to work, unemployment is rife - give some new people a chance.

Edit: so first to go should be the HR staff who are clearly failing in a big way by not dealing with the pi55takers effectively. Exposing themselves to flack such as this article in doing so. If I was a council leader reading this, I'd certainly be tempted to overhaul the HR department.

Edited by jammo