House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

worzel

Cycling In The Uk

I and a few mates are planning a 3 day ish cycling tour in the UK. Are there any decent routes that you could cover in this time that involve as little busy road cycling as possible, and as much off road (but not requiring a mountain bike) as possible. North or south doesn't really matter as the people going are spread around the country.

Off road but not requiring a mountain bike ? What sort of bikes will you be on. That is rather important information !!

The Fife Coastal Trail could be a goer. 150km of well kept paths, tracks and some on road (Mainly very quiet). Along the coast from the Forth Road Bridge up to Dundee. Done a bit of it myself and very nice indeed. Weather being nice of course helps. Although in the UK you can't really plan on that as you know.

Would require a hybrid or slick MTB.

http://www.fifecoastalpath.co.uk/Maps_1_3.html

If you fancy something a bit more up North - Aviemore and around have masses of stuff. Would probably want a mountain bike for this though - or at least a meaty hybrid with knobblies.

I haven't done it, but the Coast 2 Coast Route? It goes from the northern edge of Cumbria across to Newcastle(ish). Google it and there is a website. 3 days might be pushing it if you are not experienced cyclists, 4 or 5 days sounds like it would be more relaxed.

Also look up the National Cycle Network. Where possible they have a dedicated cycle path or lane to keep you away from traffic. The ones around Cambridge are nice easy cycling well away from main roads, although sometimes you have to go on a B-road with traffic.

Off road but not requiring a mountain bike ? What sort of bikes will you be on. That is rather important information !!

The Fife Coastal Trail could be a goer. 150km of well kept paths, tracks and some on road (Mainly very quiet). Along the coast from the Forth Road Bridge up to Dundee. Done a bit of it myself and very nice indeed. Weather being nice of course helps. Although in the UK you can't really plan on that as you know.

Would require a hybrid or slick MTB.

http://www.fifecoastalpath.co.uk/Maps_1_3.html

If you fancy something a bit more up North - Aviemore and around have masses of stuff. Would probably want a mountain bike for this though - or at least a meaty hybrid with knobblies.

I have an old (but good) mountain bike with no suspension and slick tyres, one on a hybrid and one on a mountain bike (hopefully he has bought some slicks by now as he held us up in Holland a couple of years ago).

edit to add - thanks for the suggestions, I had a feeling they were going to involve me travelling north rather than the monkeys coming down here. Will give them a good look nonetheless.

You have your choice in Wales - near me are several forests and parks which are considered amongst the best mountain bike routes in the UK. Plus over a 1,000 miles of cycle paths.

Then you have something like the Pembs Coastal Park, the Celtic Trail, the Lon Las Cymru Trail which are all superb for cycling - plus they have this brilliant coastal path bus down in Pembs which you can just wave down, hop on with your bike or surfboard and then it will stop where you wish. Lots of other sports stuff to do, loads of campsites and organic food places to eat.

Or go up into Mid-Wales and the world is your bike lobster.

http://www.cycling.visitwales.com/ is the place to start.

cy_touring_map.gif

http://www.cyclepembrokeshire.com/content.asp?id=131

This is the western end of a continuous cycle route that stretches from the Severn Bridge to the ferry at Pembroke Dock and on up to Fishguard and the ferry terminal at Goodwick Harbour. A few sections of the trail have been included here. They can either be used as one day "there & back again" routes or highlights of a longer route.

More information on the Celtic Trail and the National Cycle Network can be found on the Sustrans web site www.sustrans.org.uk. The site has an online shop to purchase cycling maps and guides.

Click through to more information on each Pembrokeshire Celtic Cycle Trail:

» Fisguard to Trefin

» Porthgain to Middle Mill

» Newgale to Broadhaven

» Pembroke to Tenby

» Tenby to Amroth

» Newport to Rosebush

http://www.cyclepembrokeshire.com/content.asp?id=132

Starting in the university town of Aberystwyth, Lôn Teifi takes the same course as Lôn Cambria along the Ystwyth valley to Pont-rhyd-y-groes before turning southwest to cross the watershed and drop down into the valley of the River Teifi which is followed all the way to the coast at Cardigan, passing through the handsome towns of Tregaron, Lampeter, Llandysul and Newcastle Emlyn (with its castle ruins).

There are several gentle valley sections, such as the approaches to Lampeter and Llandysul from the northwest but there are also many climbs where the route turns away from the valley floor. The most noticeable climb of the whole route comes after leaving Cardigan and the Teifi valley as you head up into the hills then drop down to Newport. Another noticeable climb follows the exit from Newport, but this is the last one as you descend into the Gwaum valley and reach journey’s end at the Ocean Lab in Fishguard.

Natural attractions:

* Ystwyth valley

* Cors Caron National Nature Reserve

Visitor attractions:

* National Library, Aberystwyth

* Red Kite Museum, Tregaron

* Coracle Centre, Cenarth

* Cilgerran Castle

* St Dogmael’s Abbey

* Eco Centre, Newport

* Ocean Lab, Fishguard

Key route details:

Distance:100 miles

Time needed:2-3 days

Classification:Moderate

NCN Route:National Route 82

Start:Aberystwyth

Finish:Fishguard

Access:Train stations at Aberystwyth and Fishguard

I and a few mates are planning a 3 day ish cycling tour in the UK. Are there any decent routes that you could cover in this time that involve as little busy road cycling as possible, and as much off road (but not requiring a mountain bike) as possible. North or south doesn't really matter as the people going are spread around the country.

You want to check out the sustrans website e.g. North eng/wales

I've always fancied the trans penning trail from the north sea to the irish sea. Dunno if I'll ever get the chance to actually do it though.

How far do you plan to go? 3 days could be Lands End to John O'Groats for a sufficiently fit and mad audaxer, or a leisurely little ride interspersed with lots of touristing the places you're in.

Many of our coastlines have a lot to offer. For example, if you were to do Newcastle - Edinburgh you'd get to see all those fine castles and a little trip to Holy Island, with a lot of easygoing terrain and relaxed traffic levels. Or here in the southwest the Cornish coast gives you some tine variety: the north rugged with ultra-steep hills in places and surferland in others, the south with some splendid forts from Napoleonic times.

How far do you plan to go? 3 days could be Lands End to John O'Groats for a sufficiently fit and mad audaxer, or a leisurely little ride interspersed with lots of touristing the places you're in.

Many of our coastlines have a lot to offer. For example, if you were to do Newcastle - Edinburgh you'd get to see all those fine castles and a little trip to Holy Island, with a lot of easygoing terrain and relaxed traffic levels. Or here in the southwest the Cornish coast gives you some tine variety: the north rugged with ultra-steep hills in places and surferland in others, the south with some splendid forts from Napoleonic times.

Are there back roads for this route ? I assume you are not talking about the A1 !!

On the Sustrans website there's a map you can download of the National Cycle Network. It clearly shows which sections are traffic-free (e.g. along old railway lines or canal towpaths). In addition, the on-road sections of the network have been chosen because they are generally quiet roads.

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/what-we-do/national-cycle-network

The map on the page is tiny but there's a link so you can download the big version.

You are legally allowed to cycle, as of right, on some public rights of way, namely byways and bridleways, although many are not suitable for cycling. You don't have the right to cycle on public footpaths though.

We are not up to doing lands end to john O groats in that time. I would imagine that something in the region of 200 miles over 3 days would be plenty.

I did 3 days in the lakes with a mate once, nearly killed me :D

Well yes of course. The mode of transport you were looking for here was a 'boat'

We are not up to doing lands end to john O groats in that time. I would imagine that something in the region of 200 miles over 3 days would be plenty.

Neither am I ... nor was, even at my peak. Just thought I'd mention it :P Seems you're in the same ballpark as me :)

Not going to make any more recommendations, 'cos I don't know your tastes. But if you're looking at a season with the nights drawing rapidly in, I'd be looking for nice places to spend the long, dark evenings, in addition to a bit of pedaling in the daylight hours.

Are there back roads for this route ? I assume you are not talking about the A1 !!

Sorry - too long ago to remember the route we took. But I do recollect taking three leisurely low-traffic days from somewhere south of Newcastle through to Edinbug, with stops at Alnwick (nice place) and Dunbar (by the sea), though the last day was a hard grind into a howling westerly gale and we may have resorted to the A1. And since then I've been to Morpeth a few times (had friend there) and done some lovely day-trips around Northumberland. And learned not to camp out inland in midge season :ph34r: