House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
laughing_goat

Hello And How Much?!?!

Hello all, this is my first post after about 18 months of reading this forum.

My reason for joining now is that I found the following flats for sale in Harpenden, near St Albans today and was so shocked that I had to share the info with people I feel will be as shocked as me.

About 18 months ago, I viewed the most expensive one of the three (first link), it was marketed at £120,000. I decided to pass on this as it was very small, had severe parking shortages (you have your own space but may find difficulty getting to it) and on a council estate full of loud kids who liked to play football amongst the cars. When I found this link, I suddenly realised that the flat has had vertually no work done to it, even the blinds are the same. So I was wondering where does the £30,000 pound increase come from? I have looked at Nethouseprices and found that it was sold in Dec 2003 for £120,000(6 months before prices slowed). Amazing!

I've added the other two as they are even more shockingly priced.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-447...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-812...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-916...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

Harpenden is seen as a desirable place to live but in reality there are some rough areas that have problems with anti-social behaviour (this is one of them, Southdown is another). The good news is that houses aren't selling here, and one or two vendors are beginning to lower there prices

I also know the area and Batford is a bit of a dump, so they refer to it as Harpenden to make it sound posher than it actually is.

They are no doubt "having a laugh" but they can ask whatever price they like, it will be interesting to see if they actually sell, or if it just gets reduced each month.

BTW anybody from around this area please post your views on the market in and around St. Albans. on the forum below.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=13386

Yes, Harpenden is a really lovely place.

But it is criminal the prices they expect people to pay for these places.

Talking of over-priced areas mr gal bear and I were in WINDSOR recently -

an ex-council house (2 bed) goes for about £300 grand !!! how can anyone justify that !!!! Just because it is windsor for god sake - even if the queen popped in for a cuppa it wouldn't be worth it !!! :lol:

Edited by GAL BEAR

Yes, Harpenden is a really lovely place. 

But it is criminal the prices they expect people to pay for these places.

Talking of over-priced areas mr gal bear and I were in WINDSOR recently -

an ex-council house (2 bed) goes for about £300 grand !!!  how can anyone justify that !!!!  Just because it is windsor for god sake - even if the queen popped in for a cuppa it wouldn't be worth it !!! :lol:

Hi Galbear,

I used to live in Fleet (about 10 years ago - I guess I can't pretend I'm 18 now) and our little gang used to go to Windsor quite alot, like harpenden, not too big, not too small and clean. I knew it was expensive, but not that bad. Astonishing :o