House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Laptops On Plane?

Anyone know the latest scam the airlines are using on people who dare to carry on laptops?

What is the size that most allow on - 13 inch, 15 inch or do they now charge for any laptop? Or do they force them all into the hold?

I have not travelled by plane for about a year so just wondering what the latest advice is regarding size of laptop and whether you can still take them on as carry on hand luggage?

A friend told me last week that some airlines are now only allowing netbooks on as 'free' hand luggage - anyone know?

Recently boarded a Ryanair flight with my laptop in my hand luggage.

If Ryanair are not charging for it, it's a pretty good bet that none of them are! ;)

Its amazing modern laptops/phones are allowed anywhere near planes as mobile phones and laptops are more and more likely to have a LiPo battery.

You mean the cheap short carriers? No problem tbh... I carried x2 EEPC and a samsung NC10 and a dell note book with me. I was asked to take them all out to be scanned though. But this is airport security not the airline.

If you are sitting next to someone who irritates you on a plane or train follow these instructions:

1. Quietly and calmly open up your laptop case.

2. Remove your laptop.

3. Start up

4. Make sure the guy who is annoying you, can see the screen.

5. Close your eyes and tilt your head up to the sky.

6. Then keep whispering quietly "Allah is Great, Allah is Great"

7. Then hit this link: http://www.thecleverest.com/countdown.swf

If you are sitting next to someone who irritates you on a plane or train follow these instructions:

1. Quietly and calmly open up your laptop case.

2. Remove your laptop.

3. Start up

4. Make sure the guy who is annoying you, can see the screen.

5. Close your eyes and tilt your head up to the sky.

6. Then keep whispering quietly "Allah is Great, Allah is Great"

7. Then hit this link: http://www.thecleverest.com/countdown.swf

:lol:

Are these 15 or 13 notebooks - which ones get through the metal cages that airlines use to restrict size of hand luggage?

Doesn't Ryanair have the smallest of the cages?

I think even the smallest of luggage measuring cages are still big enough for a laptop - I've never had a problem taking one on.

Laptops On A Plane?

Is that a geeky remake of Snakes On A Plane?

"Enough is enough! I have had it with these mother******ing Starcraft II LAN party's on this mother******ing plane!"

I take something like 30-40 economy class flights a year and the occasional business class one when I get lucky with an upgrade (though admittedly almost all of them are long haul, or feeders to long haul, on KLM, Air France or Delta, not on the lo-cos such as Ryanair or Easyjet), and have never had any problem or extra charges taking my laptop in my carry-on. Delta now even have wi-fi access in some of their planes, though in economy class you'll pay through the nose for it. You are also very unlikely to get a power socket in economy: the odd exit row seat does have them, and if you to to seatguru.com you can find where they are for a given airline and aircraft type, then attempt to bag that seat when you do the online check-in. For obvious reasons, most of those seats are only bookable online for silver level frequent flyer card holders or above. If that's the case, you can ask when you drop the bag if seat 10A or H (for example: on the Delta A330, these seats have power sockets) is open. I've occasionally got lucky this way. The wi-fi speed on the converted Delta planes isn't bad, though. It's nothing like the wi-fi on some British trains, i.e. so slow as to be effectively useless.