House Price Crash Forum

Ebay Greed And The Housing Market

Guest Elephant_In_The_Room

HOLA441

You are aware of Buy It Now?

Of course, but if you have a secondhand item, where you are not sure of what people might pay, or how much interest there may be, auction is best. Nothing like a low starting price for something of interest to a few people to get people bidding!

HOLA442
Guest Elephant_In_The_Room

Of course, but if you have a secondhand item, where you are not sure of what people might pay, or how much interest there may be, auction is best. Nothing like a low starting price for something of interest to a few people to get people bidding!

Agreed but my argument was re: the "Buy It Now" prices as I obviously have no clue what people want for 99p start auctions.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Most of my local charity shops often try to sell clothes at double the new Primark price, so they are having a hard time in the current economic climate.

When charity shops send out store acquisition requirements they often explicitly state they don't want sites near Primark or Peacocks.

HOLA445

In the same way a house is only worth what someone will pay for it, so is all the stuff on EBay.

Just because someone's asking a certain amount for something, doesn't mean anyone's going to buy it at that price, and if it's ridiculously overpriced, there'll be an equivalent for sale cheaper (it's a market place after all) or it'll stay up for sale languishing there for ages, until the seller takes it down.

I've been in charity shops and have been shocked at the prices too - you can buy cheaper brand new stuff in the supermarkets/Primark etc - until charity shops understand their competition, they're not going to be on much of a winning streak - apart from the fact that their business rates are much reduced - in theory, it means that they should be able to sell stuff at a cheaper rate... so maybe it's the charity shops that are getting greedy? If people are looking in charity shops, and seeing prices like that, I can perfectly understand why someone who's a bit strapped for cash might prefer for that money to go into their own pockets rather than the charity...

On another note, I've stopped giving to charities, because of the stupid number of bags that come through my door - several a week, and a lot of them promise the charity a certain amount of money per ton of stuff collected. So what you think is going to be sorted, and sent to a charity shop, isn't - it's probably off to be recycled as rags. :(

HOLA446

In the same way a house is only worth what someone will pay for it, so is all the stuff on EBay.

And usually there'll be some fool who will pay that price so one person will sell at it, which leads a whole load of others to say "That's the market price" and refuse to sell for less. They might even go on to try to blame lack of demand for failing to sell anything else. The whole price-set-by-supply-and-demand-balance doesn't work when humans get involved.

HOLA447

Freecyles even worse these days.

The ball & chain regulary updates me with what she witnesses over there. Things like:

Wanted: cinema surround sound system

and just yesterday....Wanted: Nintendo DS in GOOD condition.

:rolleyes:

yes you can get some real choice specimens on freecycle. i have seen people asking for imacs and wiis. overall freecycle is great. i recently got rid of some icing and mincepie filling i had bought when i had a baking phase. but these were lying unopened in the cupboard. found someone who was very happy to have them. i gave her a bottle of baileys as well which we had got as a present, but dont like the taste of. she was so happy and she would enjoy those items.

conversely, i had someone agreeing to collect something one evening. i had gone out for a small errand when i came back i found rubbish and leaves from my front yard in my letter box. the plastic casing around my bell was damaged and one of my outdoor lights at foot level was kicked out of its post. i had a email from the woman saying she had been around to collect stuff but i was not there. bearing in mind that i had not agreed a time with her and was only 5 mins away from home, i was shocked to find this had happened. i could not accuse her but told her to come back to collect the stuff. she never turned up, which confirmed my suspicion. i still use freecycle to get rid of stuff, best way to do it.

HOLA448

conversely, i had someone agreeing to collect something one evening. i had gone out for a small errand when i came back i found rubbish and leaves from my front yard in my letter box. the plastic casing around my bell was damaged and one of my outdoor lights at foot level was kicked out of its post. i had a email from the woman saying she had been around to collect stuff but i was not there. bearing in mind that i had not agreed a time with her and was only 5 mins away from home, i was shocked to find this had happened. i could not accuse her but told her to come back to collect the stuff. she never turned up, which confirmed my suspicion. i still use freecycle to get rid of stuff, best way to do it.

I wonder what her HPC pseudonym is?

HOLA449

Has anyone else noticed just how much greed there is on Ebay? Second hand gear is just that, second hand, used, not new and yet I have seen lots of examples of utter greed.

In many cases these avaricous sods end up empty handed but every now and then some clown pays a silly amount for some tat. What you then see is all the other sellers of similar tat trying their luck too, alas with no success. This reminds me of the housing market. You can get lucky and collar that super sucker but its a lottery IMO.

Anyway back to my original point, does anyone else get fed up of seeing people overprice goods on Ebay?

Ebay has certainly brought about a shift in culture - that all tat is worth something. In the old days, you'd chuck it or give it away

I really don't see why you are so perturbed by all this? As other's have mentioned, if you don't like the price, don't buy it! Do you have any other 'riveting' Shock, Horror news you want to get off your chest?

Archived