House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Elephant_In_The_Room

Ebay Greed And The Housing Market

Has anyone else noticed just how much greed there is on Ebay? Second hand gear is just that, second hand, used, not new and yet I have seen lots of examples of utter greed.

In many cases these avaricous sods end up empty handed but every now and then some clown pays a silly amount for some tat. What you then see is all the other sellers of similar tat trying their luck too, alas with no success. This reminds me of the housing market. You can get lucky and collar that super sucker but its a lottery IMO.

Anyway back to my original point, does anyone else get fed up of seeing people overprice goods on Ebay?

Ebay has certainly brought about a shift in culture - that all tat is worth something. In the old days, you'd chuck it or give it away

Guest Absolutely Fabulous

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you don't want to buy it then don't. It's as simple as that.

I have nothing against second hand goods at all, being a connoisseur of quite a few, I rather like them. smile.gif

Ebay, auction houses and car boot sales are certainly coming back into their own and that has to be a good thing as people readjust

to a more living within your means lifestyle.

The old rule of thumb used to be buy at a third and sell at a half (the price of the original good new), however what with those nice Chinese people churning out cheap affordable goods the above has gone out of the window.

So, in summation, in you can't beat them, why not join them?

I think that there is more 'would-be entrepreneurial' greed around these days than used to be.

I give better stuff to charity shops than many try to sell on Ebay, as I like to think I am doing my bit for people that can't afford much, having been there in my time.

I have also seen stuff in charity shops that I'd send to the tip. Shoes that are sweaty and worn, for example.

Charity seems to be dying out in more ways than one.

, not new and yet I have seen lots of examples of utter greed. :blink:

In many cases these avaricous sods end up empty handed but every now and then some clown pays a silly amount for some

Anyway back to my original point, does anyone else get fed up of seeing people overprice goods on Ebay?

Ebay has certainly brought about a shift in culture - that all tat is worth something. In the old days, you'd chuck it or give it away

Times are hard for many and some need to buy so called tat, because its all they can afford. Also some people try to sell for as much as they can. Some are needy some are greedy. Call it what you will, different strokes for different folks.

I hear that some charity shops are not being given so much, because people are holding onto stuff longer or selling it as thyey need the money.

Has anyone else noticed just how much greed there is on Ebay? Second hand gear is just that, second hand, used, not new and yet I have seen lots of examples of utter greed.

In many cases these avaricous sods end up empty handed but every now and then some clown pays a silly amount for some tat.

Did you mean www.rightmove.co.uk ?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Times are hard for many and some need to buy so called tat, because its all they can afford. Also some people try to sell for as much as they can. Some are needy some are greedy. Call it what you will, different strokes for different folks.

I hear that some charity shops are not being given so much, because people are holding onto stuff longer or selling it as thyey need the money.

You see, I don't think they are (yet). I don't think people in this day and age know what 'hard times' are.

When off licences start shutting down and the town centres are empty on a Friday/Saturday night, we will then know that the hard times are upon us.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you don't want to buy it then don't. It's as simple as that.

I have nothing against second hand goods at all, being a connoisseur of quite a few, I rather like them. smile.gif

Ebay, auction houses and car boot sales are certainly coming back into their own and that has to be a good thing as people readjust

to a more living within your means lifestyle.

The old rule of thumb used to be buy at a third and sell at a half (the price of the original good new), however what with those nice Chinese people churning out cheap affordable goods the above has gone out of the window.

So, in summation, in you can't beat them, why not join them?

Well I don't, of course but I'm trying to highlight the fact that we live in a world where people expect to sell everything and anything that they own and no longer want. Some stuff just isn't worth anything

The same people never stop to look at what might be depleting their cash - nice car, meals out, booze, footie season tickets etc.

Freecyles even worse these days.

The ball & chain regulary updates me with what she witnesses over there. Things like:

Wanted: cinema surround sound system

and just yesterday....Wanted: Nintendo DS in GOOD condition.

:rolleyes:

I think some second hand pricing is daftness rather than greed. People just don't realise that stuff they paid good money for quickly becomes valueless.

Years back you used to see crappy old computers being sold for silly money. I once told someone selling one that it was probably not worth £60, let alone the £400 he was asking.

'But it cost £1000!'

I used to list CDs, DVDs and books on Amazon but unless it's some seriously rare title the lowest marketplace prices are always 0.01, with bulk shifters look to make pennies on the postage. I can't be arsed - just give the stuff away.

Yeah, and Freecycle's a bit of a joke now. Used to be full of hairy jumper types in the early days but now it seems to be chavs either looking to get their old junk taken away for nothing or looking for people to kit them out with everything they need for free.

I think some second hand pricing is daftness rather than greed. People just don't realise that stuff they paid good money for quickly becomes valueless.

I think it's a serious dose of wishful thinking. Just like the housing market, people can't accept that their stuff is worth nothing.

Years back you used to see crappy old computers being sold for silly money. I once told someone selling one that it was probably not worth £60, let alone the £400 he was asking.

I've just tossed an 800MHz AMD PC tower on the rubbish tip. Bought in 2000 for £750, it's worthless now. I can't find anybody who wants it (given them). I haven't tried freecycle though..

'But it cost £1000!'

I told a mate that he spent £1200 a year on fags and he didn't register. Just looked blank as though I'd made it up.

I find the wholesale and job lots section an ebay to be one of the most hilarious for ambitious pricing with people closing businesses asking 50%+ of retail prices for their random tatty old shop-soiled stock.

Guest Absolutely Fabulous

I get exactly where you are coming from AB, but Charity shops really have priced themselves out of the 'needy' market.

An example: I can pick up good quality shirts, shoes and trousers at car boot sales which are a quarter of the price than you'd find in a local charity shop.

In fact, I would argue, Charity shops have moved away from the old days a couple of decades ago when people of limited means shopped there and are attempting to move up market. sad.gif

In our local town which is very poor (according to the latest BBC Poll as to which towns can take the coming cuts), you get a lot more people at the local Car Boot than you do in Charity shops.

I also give to charity shops less than I did, since someone said that some volunteers who work there, 'collar' anything decent for themselves.dry.gif

I also give to charity shops less than I did, since someone said that some volunteers who work there, 'collar' anything decent for themselves.dry.gif

I frequently fish decent books out of charity shop skips.

As an Oxfam volunteer I can tell you it doesn't happen in their shops. Staff pay exactly the same price as customers, and don't price their purchases themselves. Some staff might get the 'advantage' of seeing goods a little earlier than customers, but as most volunteer for the odd few hours a week only, they are on the same footing as the punters.

As an Oxfam volunteer I can tell you it doesn't happen in their shops. Staff pay exactly the same price as customers, and don't price their purchases themselves. Some staff might get the 'advantage' of seeing goods a little earlier than customers, but as most volunteer for the odd few hours a week only, they are on the same footing as the punters.

You ought to move to to Spastics.

I can recall a couple of years ago the multitude of CRT TV's that were put up. There were thousands of them.

Peeps had upgraded to the latest flat screens and thought they would be able to realize a few quid for the 38inch monstrosity that used to sit in the corner of their sitting room.

Hardly any were ever priced to sell with most wanting silly money... Not to mention buyer collects. They were to thick to realise that CRT is yesterdays technology and no one wants them any more

Most council recycling centres now have a facility to drop old tv's/monitors for recycling, I suspect that is where most of these ended up.

I find the wholesale and job lots section an ebay to be one of the most hilarious for ambitious pricing with people closing businesses asking 50%+ of retail prices for their random tatty old shop-soiled stock.

Look up ANY new DVD on Amazon

Then look it up on EBay as a BIN.

The markup is about 50%.

In many cases these avaricous sods end up empty handed but every now and then some clown pays a silly amount for some tat. What you then see is all the other sellers of similar tat trying their luck too, alas with no success. This reminds me of the housing market. You can get lucky and collar that super sucker but its a lottery IMO.

What Ebay has done is create an easily accessible, huge potential market for stuff.

I have successfully sold odd items (accessories for a digital camera that broke), a dumb-waiter good lift for a restaurant or pub, a 1980s video game unit, etc on there.

Previously I could only try to sell it in a local paper or a sign in a shop window, so items for which there is a small market all over the country would end up thrown out.

This is good - if you want something unusual - someone on Ebay might well have one.

Why are you "fed up" by seeing people's asking prices on Ebay? Why does it annoy you? Ebay is pretty much a perfect market - put stuff on at a higher price than everyone else and you won't sell it.... what could be more efficient?

If someone buys something that they really want on Ebay, this does make them "a silly clown". They have found what they want and paid what they think it is worth to them.

If someone buys something that they really want on Ebay, this does make them "a silly clown". They have found what they want and paid what they think it is worth to them.

Which is equivalent to saying "There's no such thing as being ripped off."

What Ebay has done is create an easily accessible, huge potential market for stuff.

I have successfully sold odd items (accessories for a digital camera that broke), a dumb-waiter good lift for a restaurant or pub, a 1980s video game unit, etc on there.

Previously I could only try to sell it in a local paper or a sign in a shop window, so items for which there is a small market all over the country would end up thrown out.

This is good - if you want something unusual - someone on Ebay might well have one.

yes and I've sold stuff too

Why are you "fed up" by seeing people's asking prices on Ebay? Why does it annoy you?

because its a sad reflection of our modern society. Don't get me wrong, I have used Ebay to sell and its a useful tool for fidning rare/collectable goods.

At the same time it has brought about a shift in culture, that culture being that "all my s**t is worth something and I'm entitled to be paid what I want for it". It draws a parallel with the housing market IMO and that was my point.

In fact both Ebay and the housing market have nourished and nurtured the greed gene in humans which I suspect was lying fairly dormant in the past.

Perhaps a better heading would have been "Ebay disappoints me"

yes and I've sold stuff too

because its a sad reflection of our modern society. Don't get me wrong, I have used Ebay to sell and its a useful tool for fidning rare/collectable goods.

At the same time it has brought about a shift in culture, that culture being that "all my s**t is worth something and I'm entitled to be paid what I want for it". It draws a parallel with the housing market IMO and that was my point.

In fact both Ebay and the housing market have nourished and nurtured the greed gene in humans which I suspect was lying fairly dormant in the past.

Perhaps a better heading would have been "Ebay disappoints me"

The whole point of Ebay auctions is that you don't start off saying "I am entitled to be paid for this". You spend a few minutes photographing and describing your items, then you say to the whole world "here it is, tell me what you think its worth to you".

If you are selling rubbish, or asking for too much, the world will ignore you and you will get nothing.

If someone out there wants what you have got, great! If lots of people want it and bid against each other, you might do quite well.

It is better all round for unwanted stuff to find a new home than end up chucked in landfill because it was too difficult to find someone who wanted it.

I can recall a couple of years ago the multitude of CRT TV's that were put up. There were thousands of them.

Peeps had upgraded to the latest flat screens and thought they would be able to realize a few quid for the 38inch monstrosity that used to sit in the corner of their sitting room.

Hardly any were ever priced to sell with most wanting silly money... Not to mention buyer collects. They were to thick to realise that CRT is yesterdays technology and no one wants them any more

Most council recycling centres now have a facility to drop old tv's/monitors for recycling, I suspect that is where most of these ended up.

Not so sure about that, I picked up a 32" Daewoo CRT TV back in 2007 for a tenner, and it did a great job as a bedroom TV for over three years. I actually left it in the flat I just moved out of as the new tenants didn't have a TV and thought they might appreciate it. The fact it weighed a ton and I couldn't be bothered trying to get it down three flights of stairs had nothing to do with it, honest!

Oh and there are plenty bargains to be had on ebay, I myself picked up two Ikea chests of drawers for £28 last weekend. I'd hazard a guess that the original selling price would have been at least £40 for the smaller one and £60 for the bigger one, and apart from a small chip on the smaller one they were in great nick. Not only that but the original owner had went through the hassle of assembling them for me!

I have bought several of the really big 36" screen, 5.1 speaker-equipped, Toshiba and Sony wide-screen CRTs. Usually can get a nice one, perfect nick, for £50 - £80. He paid £1600 + for it a few years ago. And has now spent another 4 figure some on a monster flat-screen. Me, I'd rather buy a secondhand telly (the programmes will be just as cr*p on a new one, after all) and spend the rest of the money on something better.....

I've got one in the corner of my living room, and the others have gone to our student BTL houses.

If you have a big lounge, and you are going to have the telly in a corner, as most people do, a flat-screen doesn't really save much space (what else will you do with the empty triangle of space in the corner?). And the picture quality on a lot of big CRTs is still better than many flat-screens.

Of course people will say "buyer collects" - how much would it cost to ship a big TV set, probably without its box?

The whole point of Ebay auctions is that you don't start off saying "I am entitled to be paid for this". You spend a few minutes photographing and describing your items, then you say to the whole world "here it is, tell me what you think its worth to you".

If you are selling rubbish, or asking for too much, the world will ignore you and you will get nothing.

If someone out there wants what you have got, great! If lots of people want it and bid against each other, you might do quite well.

It is better all round for unwanted stuff to find a new home than end up chucked in landfill because it was too difficult to find someone who wanted it.

You are aware of Buy It Now?

I get exactly where you are coming from AB, but Charity shops really have priced themselves out of the 'needy' market.

An example: I can pick up good quality shirts, shoes and trousers at car boot sales which are a quarter of the price than you'd find in a local charity shop.

In fact, I would argue, Charity shops have moved away from the old days a couple of decades ago when people of limited means shopped there and are attempting to move up market. :(

In our local town which is very poor (according to the latest BBC Poll as to which towns can take the coming cuts), you get a lot more people at the local Car Boot than you do in Charity shops.

Most of my local charity shops often try to sell clothes at double the new Primark price, so they are having a hard time in the current economic climate.