House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maddog21

Diane Abbott Calls For Race And Gender Checks On Job Cuts

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/diane-abbott-calls-for-race-and-gender-checks-on-job-cuts-2078607.html

Diane Abbott calls for race and gender checks on job cuts

Ethnic and gender monitoring should be carried out when public bodies axe jobs to prevent planned spending cuts having a disproportionate impact on minority communities, Labour leadership candidate Diane Abbott said today.

Ms Abbott warned that a "last in, first out" approach to redundancies would hit black and female workers particularly hard and could set back race relations by a generation, risking "instability" in society.

She called for new requirements for local councils, Government agencies and quangos to be "mindful" of the race and gender distribution of any job losses they are planning as they respond to Treasury demands for large cuts in their budgets.

Ms Abbott told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "Black (people) and ethnic minorities are predominantly employed in the public sector, particularly women.

"My concern is that the progress black and ethnic minority workers have made in employment is relatively recent and if there have to be big cuts, it will be 'last in, first out' and these cuts will fall disproportionately not just on women but on black and ethnic minority workers.

"I think that is a thing which could lead to a degree of instability."

Asked what action she would like to see taken, Ms Abbott said: "You could make local authorities, Government, quangos mindful by making them monitor the gender and ethnic distribution of people losing their jobs.

"I think the public sector cuts have the potential to set back race relations and black and ethnic minority communities by a generation."

Any takers?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/diane-abbott-calls-for-race-and-gender-checks-on-job-cuts-2078607.html

Diane Abbott calls for race and gender checks on job cuts

Ethnic and gender monitoring should be carried out when public bodies axe jobs to prevent planned spending cuts having a disproportionate impact on minority communities, Labour leadership candidate Diane Abbott said today.

Ms Abbott warned that a "last in, first out" approach to redundancies would hit black and female workers particularly hard and could set back race relations by a generation, risking "instability" in society.

She called for new requirements for local councils, Government agencies and quangos to be "mindful" of the race and gender distribution of any job losses they are planning as they respond to Treasury demands for large cuts in their budgets.

Ms Abbott told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "Black (people) and ethnic minorities are predominantly employed in the public sector, particularly women.

"My concern is that the progress black and ethnic minority workers have made in employment is relatively recent and if there have to be big cuts, it will be 'last in, first out' and these cuts will fall disproportionately not just on women but on black and ethnic minority workers.

"I think that is a thing which could lead to a degree of instability."

Asked what action she would like to see taken, Ms Abbott said: "You could make local authorities, Government, quangos mindful by making them monitor the gender and ethnic distribution of people losing their jobs.

"I think the public sector cuts have the potential to set back race relations and black and ethnic minority communities by a generation."

Any takers?

Desperately looking for any mention of selecting who they let go/retain on the basis of ability/talent/skills. No mention.

Nope, as long as each office has 1.3 hunchback lesbian dwarves per thousand employees, all will be well. Competence is not a qualifying criteria.

Does this reflect on the public sector (i.e. performance doesn't matter as long as quotas are met), or does it merely reflect on Diane Abbott's perception of the public sector?

Why not start by sacking all the soft-handed members of the bourgeoisie?

We could define them as anyone having been to private school, and/or children of the political elite.

But that would mean that Diane Abbott and her brats would be the first to go.

I think she has totally lost the plot. We have had a growing army of diversity and equality officers in the public sector since 1985. We need rid of them not give them even more power. What about getting rid of people under 5' 6" tall first regardless of race or gender.

I would really love it if she won the Labour leadership election. She has not a catin hells chance but it would be almost as funny as the Wilsons getting repossessed.

Perhaps she ought to instruct her own party that they need to be mindful that only fat black single mothers should be permitted to stand for the leadership.

I'd love to see D. Milicommunist wriggle out of that one.

Guest Absolutely Fabulous

But that would mean that Diane Abbott and her brats would be the first to go.

I think she has totally lost the plot. We have had a growing army of diversity and equality officers in the public sector since 1985. We need rid of them not give them even more power. What about getting rid of people under 5' 6" tall first regardless of race or gender.

She is so pathetically transparent. I s'pose she wants privileges for black females, followed by privileges for either females OR blacks, with white boys bringing up the rear.rolleyes.gif

Someone needs to tell her that whites who historically exploited other races supported slavery. I guess she has shown us that you don't have to be a honky to be down on another race.

Just how long does she expect the descendants of a slave-owning generation to bend over backwards, to make amends for what they took no part in?

Most able person gets best job - colour, creed or gender should have rock-all to do with it.

She is so pathetcially transparent. I s'pose she wants privileges for black females, followed by privileges for either females OR blacks, with white boys bringing up the rear.rolleyes.gif

Someone needs to tell her that whites who historically exploited other races supported slavery. I guess she has shown us that you don't have to be a honky to be down on another race.

Just how long does she expect the descendants of a slave-owning generation to bend over backwards, to make amends for what they took no part in?

Most able person gets best job - colour, creed or gender should have rock-all to do with it.

I might email her for a big "thank you "on behalf of my GGGGgrandad who joined the 69th foot regiment in 1807 in response to the call to abolish slavery. He left behind a wife and child in Birmingham to fight the dutch in Java. He was severely wounded in the spine in 1811 and discharged. Unable to work again his family was plunged into poverty. The family have never had single thank you or kiss my shiny ass from any black slave person in the last 200 years. I emailed Trevor Phillips once but never got a reply. Ungrateful or what ? mad.gif

I might email her for a big "thank you "on behalf of my GGGGgrandad who joined the 69th foot regiment in 1807 in response to the call to abolish slavery. He left behind a wife and child in Birmingham to fight the dutch in Java. He was severely wounded in the spine in 1811 and discharged. Unable to work again his family was plunged into poverty. The family have never had single thank you or kiss my shiny ass from any black slave person in the last 200 years. I emailed Trevor Phillips once but never got a reply. Ungrateful or what ? mad.gif

That was part of the Napoleonic Wars and nothing to do with slavery which carried on in the British Empire until the 1830s.

That was part of the Napoleonic Wars and nothing to do with slavery which carried on in the British Empire until the 1830s.

It was the penisular war actually. Slavery by the importation of african blacks was abolished by Britain and all british colonies in 1807. Army recruiters used the slavery situation to appeal to new recruits( posters in war museum) because The british army was stretched past its limits around the world . In reality britain needed to take the dutch east indies company to weaken their trade routes (including the movement of black african slaves) to weaken their financial position because they were french allies. After the fall of Java (Fort Cornelis) in 1811 the dutch were captured and Raffles instated as Governor. The dutch agreed to change sides and turn against the french. They fought alongside us (badly) at Waterloo in 1815. We then handed Java back to the dutch. Abba ever after

I would not regard myself as racist but I cannot help but notice the disproportionate number of ethnic minorities employed by the BBC and media in general.I'm not saying that they are not perfectly competent in what they do,merely that I cannot believe that a level playing field at interviews would have produced such a lopsided result. It's rife throughout the BBC with seemingly every other correspondent or presenter from an ethnic minority.I would guess that if you chose from the population of Leicester or Bradford you might come up with such a balance but not the country as a whole.

She's not a cow.

My GGGGGG grandparents were slaves as well.

White and working on the land but slaves none the less in all but name...

But of course Diane won't want to hear that one...

Course not! No such thing as white slaves, everyone knows that.rolleyes.gif I used to have these sorts of arguments with senior Social Services personnel in lessons where I was updating their existing - or non-existentwink.gif - skills. They seemed unaware that slavery was enforced on the poor workers in this country - by the rich, at a time when blacks were being enslaved abroad - initially by their own kind.. having lost to them in a war. (prisoners of war in African tribal conflicts were sold as slaves, tho' we get to hear very little about that): SOME got eaten by the winning tribe. All nice civilised stuff.dry.gif

One had only to take a trip to the outskirts of Salford and look at the Buile Hill museum - strangely closed down in recent years - under NuLab- probably 'cos it gave testament to the very real slavery of the working classes in that area in the mining communities.This would not suit Nlabs agenda, so it is being developed as a luxury complex.

In the mines of Lancashire - heavily pregnant women were expected to pull coal carts along - underground - for 12 hours at a time. Their junior-school-aged children expected to do other underground work, during daylight hours, too.

I nearly bust a blood vessel listening to a radio prog. phone-in/email in about "should kids learn history", where one chap emailed in and banged on about how children should learn about slavery and how bad it was, then proceeded to cite only American examples of black slavery.

I thought as I listened, how a 1984 type spin on certain historical facts is slowly being foisted on the masses. Indeed AFAIAC it has been underway for some years, judging by the number of single track versions of slavery that are being peddled.

[/b]

Course not! No such thing as white slaves, everyone knows that.rolleyes.gif I used to have these sorts of arguments with senior Social Services personnel in lessons where I was updating their existing - or non-existentwink.gif - skills. They seemed unaware that slavery was enforced on the poor workers in this country - by the rich, at a time when blacks were being enslaved abroad - initially by their own kind.. having lost to them in a war. (prisoners of war in African tribal conflicts were sold as slaves, tho' we get to hear very little about that): SOME got eaten by the winning tribe. All nice civilised stuff.dry.gif

One had only to take a trip to the outskirts of Salford and look at the Buile Hill museum - strangely closed down in recent years - under NuLab- probably 'cos it gave testament to the very real slavery of the working classes in that area in the mining communities.This would not suit Nlabs agenda, so it is being developed as a luxury complex.

In the mines of Lancashire - heavily pregnant women were expected to pull coal carts along - underground - for 12 hours at a time. Their junior-school-aged children expected to do other underground work, during daylight hours, too.

I nearly bust a blood vessel listening to a radio prog. phone-in/email in about "should kids learn history", where one chap emailed in and banged on about how children should learn about slavery and how bad it was, then proceeded to cite only American examples of black slavery.

I thought as I listened, how a 1984 type spin on certain historical facts is slowly being foisted on the masses. Indeed AFAIAC it has been underway for some years, judging by the number of single track versions of slavery that are being peddled.

Ken Follet gives an account of it in this novel.

Ken Follet gives an account of it in this novel.

Sounds like a good read. smile.gif Sadly the people who need their eyes opening, will likely never read it......