House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
beachball75

Waiting 4 Months For Repairs. Can I Terminate Contract?

I informed my landlord after moving into my ground floor flat during first week of the tenancy that a horrible sewage smell exists in the bathroom.

I have been waiting 4 months for it to be fixed. Currently, the landlord says it is major work and can't be done over night. It'll be at least another month before any action, but access won't be required to the flat for the works.

On top of that, it's been very difficult to keep the flat dry. Mould grows and needs continues washing off. The flat stinks. Window vents were recently installed.

I moved out two weeks ago because I couldn't stand living there. A dehumidifier has been running 24/7 since then, collecting 80 pints of water per week.

The landlord has agreed to end the tenancy, but wants me to continue paying until they have moved the next poor tenant in.

Do I have any rights to terminate right away and claim back rent from the time that I moved out? Environmental Health visited today. Their verdict was that the dampness was condensation. The sewage smell needs to be vented up out to the roof. If that doesn't resolve it, the ground has to be dug up; at which point I couldn't live there anyway.

Have tried leaving windows open as much as possible, having heating on permanently at at least 17c, using the clothes dryer and not a clothes horse, etc. The dampness and humidity remains even though I've not lived there for 2 weeks (just visited twice per day to empty the dehumidifier).

I need to find somewhere else to live sharpish, but can't afford the deposit + first month rent + agency fees without getting back the deposit and rent from the point I was forced to move out. Deposit is with TDS.

What are my rights?

Beachball