House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Nolan Show Rics - House Prices Fall Every Month For 3 Years

I've made this a separate topic. Financial planner is on Nolan at about 9.45am discussing this report should be good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-11286919

I saw this report on the BBC ceefax this morning. Nice to see itw as actually reported.

Looking at the asking prices in my area though it seems most sellers are still kidding themselves. When are they going to wake up?

I saw this report on the BBC ceefax this morning. Nice to see itw as actually reported.

Looking at the asking prices in my area though it seems most sellers are still kidding themselves. When are they going to wake up?

As the report says the extent of price drops varies over different areas. This is not surprising as the price increases, particularly in 'up and coming areas' was greater than other established areas as they came from a relativity low base. I wouldn't expect the areas that have recorded a 60% drop to be an area, or housing type that you particularly want to live in.

The problem is, where you want to live and the type of house you want is probably the area and house type that other people want to live in.

The problem is, where you want to live and the type of house you want is probably the area and house type that other people want to live in.

Thats true, but there is a world of difference between wanting to live in, and being able to afford to live in.

Jonathan Davis was brilliant on Radio Ulster. Thank you again for all your support. Well worth a listen again.

I don't know whether the ones who phoned in were our members but they certainly gave Nolan grief and gave Jonathan a medal.

I was embarassed at Nolan's usual ignorance in not even thanking anyone for coming and just switching to another subject when the callers did not say what he wanted them to say.

Looking forward to listening on iplayer later!

Jonathan Davis was brilliant on Radio Ulster. Thank you again for all your support. Well worth a listen again.

I don't know whether the ones who phoned in were our members but they certainly gave Nolan grief and gave Jonathan a medal.

I was embarassed at Nolan's usual ignorance in not even thanking anyone for coming and just switching to another subject when the callers did not say what he wanted them to say.

Jonathan Davis spoke with the ernestness of a preacher and Uncle Tom tripped over his words again. However most of what I heard from the callers was a mixture of ill informed unmovable opinion, unsupported statements and bad manners.

I don't blame Nolan for switching off when most callers come on, a lot are not worthy of reasoned response.

I've made this a separate topic. Jonathan Davis is on Nolan at about 9.45am discussing this report should be good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-11286919

Where can this report be found. I read a quote that 45% said prices were going down and 55% said there was no change. On that alone it would be more appropriate to claim that the market remains flat.

comments from the report

Northern Ireland

Aidan Conway MRICS, P Andrews Chartered Surveyors, Londonderry, Londonderry, 2871263635 - Prices appear to have stabilised and demand should increase after the summer holiday period. First time buyers are still experiencing difficulty due to the level of deposit required for mortgage purposes.

J G Fleming MRICS, J G Fleming, Omagh, Co Tyrone, 028 8225 0040 - Increasing number of re-possessed properties coming onto the market.

Samuel Dickey MRICS, GOC Estate Agents, Belfast, NI, 028 90 662 366 - Property continues to be a talking point socially, politically and economically. With so much media attention focusing on the negative it is difficult to promote the positive news of which there is plenty. Rentals remain strong and offers are coming in, yet the public feedback is that there is still a lack of confidence. We remain optimistic.

Tom Mcclelland FRICS, McClelland Salter, Lisburn, County Antrim, 2892674121 - Northern Ireland is vulnerable to a shrinking public sector. However we have a culture which aspires to home ownership. Difficulties remain with stricter lending criteria, the need for larger deposits and fragile confidence amongst buyers.

Rock ON

comments from the report

Northern Ireland

Aidan Conway MRICS, P Andrews Chartered Surveyors, Londonderry, Londonderry, 2871263635 - Prices appear to have stabilised and demand should increase after the summer holiday period. First time buyers are still experiencing difficulty due to the level of deposit required for mortgage purposes.

Prices still to high then

J G Fleming MRICS, J G Fleming, Omagh, Co Tyrone, 028 8225 0040 - Increasing number of re-possessed properties coming onto the market.

Good news and not before time

Samuel Dickey MRICS, GOC Estate Agents, Belfast, NI, 028 90 662 366 - Property continues to be a talking point socially, politically and economically. With so much media attention focusing on the negative it is difficult to promote the positive news of which there is plenty. Rentals remain strong and offers are coming in, yet the public feedback is that there is still a lack of confidence. We remain optimistic.

The truth is out there but a solid optimistic view will see them through :lol::lol:

Tom Mcclelland FRICS, McClelland Salter, Lisburn, County Antrim, 2892674121 - Northern Ireland is vulnerable to a shrinking public sector. However we have a culture which aspires to home ownership. Difficulties remain with stricter lending criteria, the need for larger deposits and fragile confidence amongst buyers.

Tom thinks we have a culture of over paying for property ? :o

Having heard T Mc on Nolan this morning imho years of calling black white is having a toll :(

this makes me think about being on here in 06 reading the thoughts of the many posters , many of whom are still here today. an uphill battle against sanity and the sheeple who couldnt see the insanity of house price levels at the time. well we were right werent we... 3 years of constant falls and for me nothing points to an end in sight.

Irishhouse hunter points to continued falls .

RICS points to continued falls .

PROPERTY BEE points to continued falls .

The austerity measures and public sector jobs cull points to continued falls .

The fact prices are still 5/6 times average wage points to continued falls .

The fragility of the worldwide economy points to continued falls .

The fact the banks do not have the money to lend for property speculation points to continued falls .

The fact its only a matter of time before the Irish Banks bring down Ireland points to continued falls .

etc etc etc

Nolan " I lost money"

Caller "suck it up"

:lol::lol::lol:

Generally a bearish lot, the only bull was "can we not just be more positive and give the young people some hope".

..sure they can certainly hope to buy a shoe box that they have to live in for 20 years before they can afford to move again. I think you'll find most 'young people' think high house prices are a negative thing.

Nolan " I lost money"

Caller "suck it up"

:lol::lol::lol:

Stephen Nolan , lets just say I am not a fan. So enjoyed that bit immensely

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/stephen-nolan-i-lost-pound200000-in-house-sale-14128595.html

In relation to the article much as I am not a fan at least he was honest , he didnt have to share this story

Edited by getdoon_weebobby

Nolan didn't even know Tom McClelland was an Estate Agent...even though he's been interviewing him for several years...calls himself a journalist...embarassing.

Just listened too, loved it!!!!!!! As a new 'home owner' I still want house prices to fall, much better for society, I certainly don't want my sprogs living with me forever, even though they would love to!!!!!!!

I think you're all a bit hard on Nolan. He didn't have to disclose his own property losses and honestly describes what he was thinking at the time.

The suck it up comment was a bit harsh too

Of all the media bods (thousands) Nolan had me back on time and time again since early 2007. 100% credit to him and his team when they could have been voted off by listeners - who are primarily VIs.

Nolan also had me on regularly on 5 Live at weekends at night.

Only 1 other has had me on regularly - also BBC regional radio. (Ronnie Barbour - Beds Herts and Bucks, 3 Counties Radio.)

He isnt blaming people going on holidays for "falling demand" is he? :rolleyes:

I think you're all a bit hard on Nolan. He didn't have to disclose his own property losses and honestly describes what he was thinking at the time.

The suck it up comment was a bit harsh too

When I posted that, I wasn't laughing at Nolan's situation as such, it was just very funny the way the guy said it. I think he hams it up a bit too, the more controversial the caller, the more people remember.. look its working, we're all talking about it.

Where can this report be found. I read a quote that 45% said prices were going down and 55% said there was no change. On that alone it would be more appropriate to claim that the market remains flat.

Now, you are not allowed to apply logic into this.

Listened to that Nolan show today.

What is it about Radio presenters - a bunch of bobshites the whole lot of them.

I think it goes to show that the dogs on the street know not to touch property with a barge-pole.

And I loved the bit where the EA (or his Royal Highness of the Esteemed Society of Chartered Surveyors) asked for people not to listen to him.

One caller was annoyed that FP didn't have a pair of greenshoot rose-tinted glasses on. Haha...

Of all the media bods (thousands) Nolan had me back on time and time again since early 2007. 100% credit to him and his team when they could have been voted off by listeners - who are primarily VIs.

Nolan also had me on regularly on 5 Live at weekends at night.

Only 1 other has had me on regularly - also BBC regional radio. (Ronnie Barbour - Beds Herts and Bucks, 3 Counties Radio.)

You did a great job yet again FP

Just listened too, loved it!!!!!!! As a new 'home owner' I still want house prices to fall, much better for society, I certainly don't want my sprogs living with me forever, even though they would love to!!!!!!!

Home owner myself and I would agree with you totally, for the benefit of society and I would suggest the longer term economy prices need to continue to fall. We need a balanced economy and I think NI relies too heavily on property and construction.

Home owner myself and I would agree with you totally, for the benefit of society and I would suggest the longer term economy prices need to continue to fall. We need a balanced economy and I think NI relies too heavily on property and construction.

Agree 100%. There is absolutely nothing good about high house prices. It seems most people are beginning to realise that....a little late but better late then never, right?