House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Is This The End Of Cheap Clothes Era? Price Of Cotton Has Rocketed Because Of Floods, Primark Warns

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The era of cheap clothes - the £2 T-shirt and £4 pair of jeans - is under threat following a surge in the price of cotton to a 15 year high.

Floods in two of the world's major producers, Pakistan and China, have severely hit crops, putting up wholesale prices.

Budget clothing chain Primark today joined other retailers in warning about the impact on both higher cotton prices and other costs.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1311624/Could-end-cheap-clothes-era-Primark-warns-cotton-cost-rise-floods-severely-hit-crops.html#ixzz0zQpme6VY

I've been shocked at the costs of clothing recently.

I don't mind spending extra and shopping at places like Ted Baker, Paul Smith etc, but prices are just getting silly. Jeans and shirts which might have previously been around £70 now pushing £100.

I can only assume less people have the money so costs are rising to maintain profits, but this can't go on indefinitely.

I'm off to the US next year so planning on stocking up then.

I don't mind spending extra and shopping at places like Ted Baker, Paul Smith etc, but prices are just getting silly. Jeans and shirts which might have previously been around £70 now pushing £100.

I can only assume less people have the money so costs are rising to maintain profits, but this can't go on indefinitely.

Back to the days when more people made or knitted their clothes? ;)

Edited by winkie

FYI The proportion of the cost of the cotton in a garment is small, say less than 10p for a T-Shirt...

...about the same price you would expect to pay in a jumble sale. ;)

Quality in a jumble sale nowadays is often far superior to buying new IMPO.

Yep, I get most of my clothes from charity shops, ebay or cheaper places like Primark...I know a few ppl who are incredibly snobbish about their clothes, and almost brag that they've spent 200 quid on a pair of jeans, that no doubt are made for only a couple of quid...each to their own I suppose..

Quality in a jumble sale nowadays is often far superior to buying new IMPO.

More than often.

The continual degradaing in the quality of the majority of items is something that never manages to get into the CPI revisions, strange that.

I don't see the problem on spending seventy quid on a god wool Cardigan that will last me' ten years, funny, I am getting mine from japan!

Why not grow hemp then. Its a weed, yes in all senses of the word, and 4 times stronger than cotton. The technology is there for spinning fine hemp cloth, it doesnt have to be sack cloth! Too many VI's in the agrochem business. Another system that will have to fail before it is fixed.

What does a £100 shirt do?