House Price Crash Forum

What Spain Can Teach Us About The Uk Housing Market

HOLA441
HOLA442

I would say the majority of homes in Spain and similar places are owned outright and have been in families for years.....why sell if there is no need. The over indebted will default and the owned outright will only sell for a price they can get for it if there comes a time when they need the money to live/survive, so have no other option. ;)

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Meanwhile in VillaMartin ( torrevieja area ):

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-31032542.html

€70,000 2 bedroom terraced house for sale

That's about half what a 2 bed flat was selling for in 2007.

And, you can get a 2 bed for under 40K now:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-29426525.html?premiumA=true

For the price 2007 price of a 2 bed flat you can now get a 4 bed town house:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-26991053.html

Anyone buy in Villamartin in 2007 ?

Are you bankrupt yet ?

Price trend still generally down down down. Stock levels up up up.

HOLA448

I added the following comment to the article:

House prices in Spain have also been propped up because much of the excess property that was built is simply not on the market. It is not for sale. Some of it might be advertised as if it were for sale, but the prices are too high for them to be realistically considered as "on the market". There are flats owned by banks that have been sitting empty all over Madrid for years now, and the banks simply won't drop the prices. How long they can keep the charade going is anybody's guess - if interest rates remain low then maybe a few more years yet, but how many years does it take for a "new house" to become an "old house" regardless of whether anybody has lived in it?

HOLA449

There is a second market in Spain i have recently sold a appt in Mallorca and have some cash in the Cam Bank in Spain ,i called in last week and my Manager there is acting like a est agent asking what i was looking for and offering me properties that they have reprocessed at up to 60% of there peek price, these are not with any local est agents.

HOLA4410

There is a second market in Spain i have recently sold a appt in Mallorca and have some cash in the Cam Bank in Spain ,i called in last week and my Manager there is acting like a est agent asking what i was looking for and offering me properties that they have reprocessed at up to 60% of there peek price, these are not with any local est agents.

Yes, the Spanish banks are also letting agents - my brother-in-law rents off Santander in Madrid, and he's got a very good deal whereby he can't be kicked out for 5 years, but he has a chance to leave every year, and the rent can't increase by more than the rate of inflation. Spanish banks will do anything but drop the prices of their housing stock. They've even started offering 100% mortgages - exclusive to those buying their overpriced housing stock only!

HOLA4411

Govt have to make the choice

Crash house prices and start paying a decent rate of interest for savers & pensioners.

With the crash in house prices, it should lower rents for millions all over the UK - who will then spend cash saved in the UK/local economy!

Giving a massive boost to business, consolidate & create jobs - greatly enlarging Govt tax income.

Bloody obvious

Edited by erranta