House Price Crash Forum
privatefraser

How Can I Transfer Money From A Debit Card (visa)

im renting in Spain for a few months just to get away from this place .

I need to pay 150 euros deposit into the LLs Spanish bank account.

This means going to my branch and fliling in a lot of forms.

Is there any way to do it online using my Debit Card (VISA) or CC ?

We have to pay overseas contractors occasionally, the process involves physically going to the Bank Branch, handing over the payee details, waiting 10 minutes for the assistant to fill in the transfer form so you can sign it, paying about £19, and it then takes about 3 days before the Bank get moving on it and then a few more days before it arrives at the other end.

You can't take the forms away or fill them in in advance, apparently this is to prevent money laundering.

You might find it easier to pay in cash, or look at something like www.forex.com or www.paypal.com or a bureau service - if you do find a better answer do let me know - anyone would think it's made deliberately difficult to spend our money abroad :)

We have to pay overseas contractors occasionally, the process involves physically going to the Bank Branch, handing over the payee details, waiting 10 minutes for the assistant to fill in the transfer form so you can sign it, paying about £19, and it then takes about 3 days before the Bank get moving on it and then a few more days before it arrives at the other end.

You can't take the forms away or fill them in in advance, apparently this is to prevent money laundering.

You might find it easier to pay in cash, or look at something like www.forex.com or www.paypal.com or a bureau service - if you do find a better answer do let me know - anyone would think it's made deliberately difficult to spend our money abroad :)

thanks

i have paypal but he doesnt, so off to the branch i go then.

he has given me a SWIFT number.,

Don't know which bank you use, but in Natwest, for example, you can just fill out a 'sending money abroad' form with the SWIFT number, account number and some other details and they'll do it for you. Unfortunately it costs about 20 quid (more if you want a fast transfer)... fast transfer from here to the Channel Islands went through the same day into my Canadian dollar account, it would probably be slower to Europe.

Of course the first branch I went into had no idea what SWIFT was... it's kind of embarassing when the customer knows more about banking than the bank staff do :).

Edited by MarkG

If I remember correctly when I asked about a transaction to Europe an IBAN transfer (international bank account number?) will do the job, Barclays charge something like £10 for a transaction under £200/£300. Got to be done from the branch.

Edited by OnlyMe

If I remember correctly when I asked about a transaction to Europe an IBAN transfer (international bank account number?) will do the job, Barclays charge something like £10 for a transaction under £200/£300. Got to be done from the branch.

Do i need an account with Barclays to do this (i have the IBAN number and SWIFT code) ?