House Price Crash Forum
Pent Up

Essex Stock Levels

I've been recording the numbers of properties on the market in Chelmsford since early March. In early July I added several other Essex towns to increase the data sample and give an overall gauge for Essex. Figures are an avergage number for the week.

Heres the data as of early July:

030710.png

As you can see the emergency budget on June 22nd caused a slow done of new listings although the average for the week never fell below the previous weeks. In the weeks after budget the trend resumed and has accelerated in the last week.

I may start a new search using the combined totals of serveral Essex towns to create a larger data sample and a more accurate measure. Possibly Braintree, Billericay and Brentwood.

Here's the up to date Chelmsford chart with week 17 being last week.

39908047.png

Here's the Essex chart which is all properties over all the towns added up:

67454025.png

And the breakdown of the five individual towns:

99389915.png

(+5 miles)

59617497.png

47303698.png

30313247.png

61123676.png

(+1 mile)

It seems that the September 'buying season' has tempted more vendors to the market. Maybe realising this could be the last chance they'll get to sell before Christmas.

Edited by Pent Up

Interesting charts. I guess it's a sign that old stock isn't selling but new stock is coming onto the Market all of the time.

For now, people are "waiting till the Market picks up" but this supply glut could be great news if jitters set in and sellers collectively rush for the exits.

I've been recording the numbers of properties on the market in Chelmsford since early March. (...)

Good work Pent Up! And very good news. Cheers! :)

Edited by Tired of Waiting

Interesting charts. I guess it's a sign that old stock isn't selling but new stock is coming onto the Market all of the time.

For now, people are "waiting till the Market picks up" but this supply glut could be great news if jitters set in and sellers collectively rush for the exits.

Looking at the rightmove price comparison report charts which shows properties on the Market per month with how many new listings per month it seems that over the last several months new listings have been roughly level per month yet the number of properties on the Market has been increasing. This shows that it's demand that's falling. I think this last couple of weeks have seen a pick up in listings as well as the lower demand causing the extra surge in properties the last couple of weeks.