House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Cavey

Imf Says Growth Will Slow In Coming Months

IMF says growth will slow in coming months

By Iain Mackenzie BBC News, Washington

Growth in the global economy is likely to slow towards the end of 2010, the International Monetary Fund is warning.

The IMF blames weakness in the financial sector and the crisis of confidence in some national economies.

It is calling on the most developed countries to cut their budget deficits in order to tackle the problem.

The IMF briefing note also sets out potential risk factors that could make things worse, such as a deterioration of the US property market.

Gloomy reading

This is where the global financial crisis began and the IMF warns that the supply of credit may begin to dry-up if the number of home repossessions there continues to increase.

It also raises the possibility of more problems in the sovereign debt market, similar to the crisis of confidence that left Greece requiring a 100bn euro loan earlier this year.

The IMF briefing note makes gloomy reading.

Among the recommendations made in it is a call for governments to rebalance their economies, with emerging markets, including those in Asia, encouraged to focus less on exports and more in stimulating internal demand.

Conversely, the IMF suggests that advanced economies need to increase export sales while cutting their budget deficits.

At least the UK can discount that as risk – apparently our house prices are still going up (albeit at 0.2% per month, and if you ignore the indicators that, er, aren’t)

with emerging markets, including those in Asia, encouraged to focus less on exports and more in stimulating internal demand.

Until this happens nothing else will make the slightest difference.

Over to you Chermany.

im gonna be border hopping in a couple of weeks to the getpissedfest, purely out of duty and doing my bit you understand

We expect pictures!

(of the blonde serving fraulines, not you)

At least the UK can discount that as risk apparently our house prices are still going up (albeit at 0.2% per month, and if you ignore the indicators that, er, arent)

How much do these people (at the IMF) get paid to spout this obvious drivel AND can I get a job AND where do I apply? I will pay a finders fee to anybody who lands me the interview.

Edited by tomwatkins