House Price Crash Forum
Panda

Anyone Recieved A Letter From Hmrc Yet?

I just got another £100 fine for not sending in my self assessment despite having done so and having been PAYE for the last 4 years and having a letter saying that I don't have to.

You send it in? I have done it online for 6 years, no problem, within 3 days of submitting my return any repayment due is in my bank account. I love the HMRC. :D

Love HMRC? Love BT???

Do you live in a parallel universe?

To be fair, my refund came fairly quickly this year. The previous year was a nightmare: their online system told me it had paid on [date], so when nothing turned up two or three weeks later I was not a happy bunny. Turned out they were investigating me (I guess they don't like paying five-figure rebates) but their system couldn't tell me that so just said it had been paid.

You wouldn't think the process of checking for over/underpayments happens every year. There's been a lot of rubbish & inaccurate stories in the media all week

Its amazing how little so many people know about the operation of the PAYE system in this country.

And he revealed that those who owed the most tax would have the least time to pay.

The Boss, Dave Hartnett justifies the fact those that owe the most have the least time to pay by saying this :

"I think owing the most may actually mean they're earning the most… I think it's very unlikely that a low earner will owe us more than £2,000 as a result of the process we're going through."

mmm I feel sorry for any who owe it and didn`t expect to, but especially for, say, a young couple with kids big mortgage, just about getting by as it is...

He obviously has litle compassion and very little experience of meeting real people in the real world.

The 'UK's top tax man' shows an arrogance I thought was solely the preserve of bankers and sociopaths.

Considering that a 'tax man' is by definition a professional thief, why are you surprised that they act like a sociopath?

And he revealed that those who owed the most tax would have the least time to pay.

The Boss, Dave Hartnett justifies the fact those that owe the most have the least time to pay by saying this :

"I think owing the most may actually mean they're earning the most… I think it's very unlikely that a low earner will owe us more than £2,000 as a result of the process we're going through."

mmm I feel sorry for any who owe it and didn`t expect to, but especially for, say, a young couple with kids big mortgage, just about getting by as it is...

He obviously has litle compassion and very little experience of meeting real people in the real world.

You are on the wrong website.

You send it in? I have done it online for 6 years, no problem, within 3 days of submitting my return any repayment due is in my bank account. I love the HMRC. :D

I've never had much luck doing it online, the web based return does not seem to cater for the payments my company makes for me providing my own car for company business.

Otherwise, people must be a bit oblivious to their own financial affairs if they are surprised to receive a letter from HMRC saying they owe a wad of money.

To country needs your dosh so better pay up!

....mmm I feel sorry for any who owe it and didn`t expect to, but especially for, say, a young couple with kids big mortgage, just about getting by as it is...

Surely if your personal finances are on a knife edge it is incumbent on yourself to make sure you are paying the right amount of tax (plus or minus either way)?

Edited by Bootsox

Years ago, I declared some income on my tax return and awaited a demand for about £40K. After a few months I phoned the Inland Revenue and asked if they had missed it and was told that they had and would be issuing a demand for the money, with interest, as it was overdue. No amount of arguing would persuade them that, under the circumstances, they should have waived the interest :angry:.

I just got another £100 fine for not sending in my self assessment despite having done so and having been PAYE for the last 4 years and having a letter saying that I don't have to.

Same here. My fine went up to £200 recently. I told them I don't owe anything, but the letters keep coming.

Same here. My fine went up to £200 recently. I told them I don't owe anything, but the letters keep coming.

Perhaps, but the fine is the greater of £100 or the amount of tax owed. So if you have paid the tax due, then the fine will be cancelled. Just send in another return if as you claim they have lost it.

In general bar the odd occasional mistake HMRC are a reasonable outfit to deal with. I find the banks far far worse, even when they are wrong they refuse to acknowledge their culpability.

I don't see that Dave Hartnett is being arrogant for telling it as it is. I know we can get indignant when someone or other demands money we don't owe, but it happens to most of us now and again. That's one of the "joys" of being human, isn't annoying when even worse it turns out to be your own fault.

Another point about the letters arriving 7 - 14 days after the postmark. This is a cost cutting measure involving a bulk user scheme available from Royal Mail. I don't know how it works but there is a delay to smooth out the Royal Mail's workload. Of course some taxpayers would criticise HMRC if they didn't try to use cost saving measures.

Annoyingly HMRC's on-line stuff works quite well too. By the way I wouldn't be surprised if Jaynewcastle works for HMRC.

Anyone Recieved a letter from HMRC Yet??

Regarding underpayment or overpayment of tax through PAYE?

The guy opposite me at work got one. Apparently 7.5 grand a year with respect to the last 4 years - so 30 grand. He was a bit down hearted.

The guy opposite me at work got one. Apparently 7.5 grand a year with respect to the last 4 years - so 30 grand. He was a bit down hearted.

That kind of figure smells of someone who's been knowingly extracting the micturation ...

Love HMRC? Love BT???

Do you live in a parallel universe?

Not at all, I give credit where it`s due, I just don`t have problems with these people. With HMRC when large rebates are due from online returns a security check is done and may take a few weeks before it is authorised and repaid.

That kind of figure smells of someone who's been knowingly extracting the micturation ...

It is just people who've changed jobs/got big payrises etc? - rather than the system just melting?

I would assume (perhaps wrongly) that if your income stays steady and you were suddenly paying less tax you'd wonder why and perhaps ask payroll about it?

Another point about the letters arriving 7 - 14 days after the postmark. This is a cost cutting measure involving a bulk user scheme available from Royal Mail. I don't know how it works but there is a delay to smooth out the Royal Mail's workload. Of course some taxpayers would criticise HMRC if they didn't try to use cost saving measures.

All well and good for a PAYE coding, but when they send demand notices - that give you 21 days to pay - using this method, it's not very helpful when it arrives on a Friday and leaves you 2 days to pay what they think you owe.

I've finally checked through the last five years of P60s, and reckon in each of the years they owe me approximately, £0, £50, £280, £100, £100.

My gf is owed about £600.

I should have kept on top of this, I guess. But it'll be a nice Christmas bonus when they pay it back.

Not at all, I give credit where it`s due, I just don`t have problems with these people. With HMRC when large rebates are due from online returns a security check is done and may take a few weeks before it is authorised and repaid.

I don't have a problem with it taking a few weeks.

I do have a problem with being given bogus information during those weeks. They insist the money's been paid, so where is it? If, for example, they've gone and paid it into some random account by mistake (or even by someone's deliberate action unknown to TPTB), how likely is it I'll ever see the money?