House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Defence Spending: Thousands Of Troops To Be Cut

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/defence/7995646/Defence-spending-thousands-of-troops-to-be-cut.html

Tens of thousands of soldiers, sailors and airmen face the axe after ministers concluded that reducing the number of uniformed personnel in the Armed Forces was the best way to save money.

The cuts, which are part of the strategic defence review, will lead to a substantial reduction in the size of the Army, which will also have to give up many of its tanks and armoured vehicles. Soldiers could also be ordered to serve longer on the front line in Afghanistan, and be given less time to recuperate between tours.

Senior ministers are poised to make the first painful decisions on cuts next week as part of the Strategic Defence and Security Review. The Daily Telegraph has learnt that deep cuts to military manpower are high on the agenda.

According to the review, employing each uniformed serviceman was 50 per cent more expensive than employing an MoD civil servant, and twice as costly as the average civil servant. Many Armed Forces personnel carrying out administrative roles could be replaced by civilians, ministers were told.

I think this is relevant to this forum - the State of the Nation shows the nation is in a big mess.

"Military rules known as Harmony Guidelines dictate that units should have 24 months at home after every operational tour. However, those rules treated a six-month posting in locations such as Cyprus in the same way as tour in Afghanistan."

Utter BS, anyone thinking this is true stop now. Many many guys and units do 6months on 6 months off, back to back tours.

If they want to save money then they should drop the old boys network crap and drop all the old boys, the many brigadiers still in a lavish lifestyle with no brigade. Top brass that is surplus to requirement but still on the books accounts for a disgusting ammount of money.

I always expected this of liebor, paving the way to a european army, but never expected it from the tories. Maybe cameron has the same puppet masters now.

"Military rules known as Harmony Guidelines dictate that units should have 24 months at home after every operational tour. However, those rules treated a six-month posting in locations such as Cyprus in the same way as tour in Afghanistan."

Utter BS, anyone thinking this is true stop now. Many many guys and units do 6months on 6 months off, back to back tours.

If they want to save money then they should drop the old boys network crap and drop all the old boys, the many brigadiers still in a lavish lifestyle with no brigade. Top brass that is surplus to requirement but still on the books accounts for a disgusting ammount of money.

I always expected this of liebor, paving the way to a european army, but never expected it from the tories. Maybe cameron has the same puppet masters now.

The MOD is a cushy place for the upper class Hooray Henries to go to once their 'leave' the military. Looks like the MOD will end up the largest employer of all the 'services'.

We can't afford anything more than a civil defence force, like the Irish have. Time to face up to reality.

I don't like spending so much of my tax money on insane interventions in far off places anyway. Complete waste of life and money. TIme to face up to the fact that Britain no longer has an Empire.

Edited by gruffydd

We can't afford anything more than a civil defence force, like the Irish have. Time to face up to reality.

I don't like spending so much of my tax money on insane interventions in far off places anyway. Complete waste of life and money. TIme to face up to the fact that Britain no longer has an Empire.

You underestimate the vanity of politicians who are quite happy to pay the 'blood price' in other peoples lives so they can suck up to the US President and pretend that they still lead a Great Power.

The forces will be cut but the wars will go on and on and on......

It's pretty disgusting isn't it! To the politicians, the soldiers are simply cannon fodder. And they keep feeding them to the cannons, or perhaps they should be renamed IED fodder these days?

Also, how exactly does having a massive army and defence budget improve anyone's quality of life? A massive drain on resources.

Edited by gruffydd

sad but true. There are no more british interests to protect and no british will to impose.

Whether opting out and not sending troops to die anywhere again would help us as a nation is a different matter.

We are bankupt Gents, simple as that...........the Carriers are Next, i mean the MOD "Plan" to build them then "invite" the US Navy to let us borrow the planes !!!!!

Those ships will be scrapped on the slips.....TSR2 all over again!

Mike

Edited by Mega