House Price Crash Forum
juvenal

Is Boris' Bike Scheme Pushing London Rents Up?

Its just a silly ramping press release by Ludlow Thompson. Smacks of utter desperation. Not that the stupid Evening Standard needs much excuse to ramp property at the best of times. Apart from that, savvy landlords should get in there now and snap up properties near cycling docking ports.

All I see is inexperienced cyclists (without helmets) trying to negotiate london traffic which is dangerous enough if you are experienced.

Strewth! I wouldn't even like to try that with the local traffic.

http://road.cc/content/news/23340-boris-bikes-skewing-london-property-prices

It was promised it wouldn't cost anything. Now they say the scheme cost 180m, and landlords are pushing rents up on the strength of it. What's going on?

Anyone here use it?

What's going on? Just the usual ridiculousness that trickles out of the minds of Estate Agents.

They don't care whether or not anyone believes their preposterous stories. They're just doing it to pass the time.

I've seen only 2 people on these bikes and I bet they were ringers.

Haven't and will not use it. All I see is inexperienced cyclists (without helmets) trying to negotiate london traffic which is dangerous enough if you are experienced.

London traffic is dangerous, inexperience is dangerous, and wearing bicycle helmets is also dangerous. So going without a helmet is probably the safest thing those people are doing!

It was promised it wouldn't cost anything. Now they say the scheme cost 180m, and landlords are pushing rents up on the strength of it. What's going on?

Anyone here use it?

Have been thinking about using it. On my way to work always notice the bike docking stations near Threadneedle street and Bishops gate are always nearly empty, scheme seems to be proving very popular.

400 £ for a good bike. 120£ for a clunker. Why would living near a docking station put your rent up 10%?

As for cycle highways, they're about as safe as normal roads. Except for a small amount of dedicated cycle lanes with a barrier, most are a strip of paint down the side of the road which people can park legally in. They're a bit of a joke.

Have been thinking about using it. On my way to work always notice the bike docking stations near Threadneedle street and Bishops gate are always nearly empty, scheme seems to be proving very popular.

That's people coming out of Liverpool St and Cannon street looking to jump on a bike to get them to work. The docking stations nearest me (Smithfields) seem to be permanently full, presumably from the bikes taken at Liverpool st. I keep meaning to take one for a lunchtime spin, but am terrified that there will not be a vacant docking station when I return.

EA lies is what's going on, I'd suggest.

Separately, just back from Latvia. I noticed that they had a pretty similar scheme in Riga and the towns around it...

Even the back-of-beyond 'merkins have schemes like that. My friend from Des Moines (Iowa) recently showed me some pics of their version.

Anyone here use it?

I'd love to see a through-London rail ticket let me use them to get from one station to another. Tube is unpleasant, and walking is slow (and unpleasant on most routes, though not so bad on some like Paddington-Victoria).