House Price Crash Forum

Just Paid Off The Mortgage

HOLA441

Well, all bar a pound. I've been on this forum for a good few years, and so have been working to make sure I'm safe from the vagaries of IR. I reckon I've paid about 175k all in for my smallish 4 bed boring and safe modern detached in the home counties, including making 90k on a house in London then trading down to play it safe. Thanks one and all for the sage advice. One less thing to worry about. A couple of family members think I should use the equity to get a buy to let now, oddly, I don't agree.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Congrats OP, it's a real relief when doing that! Why still have £1 left to pay? - no need to just for the sake of the bank keeping the deeds for you - online deeds these days, I thought paper deeds were pretty meaningless. Is it to have a good credit rating?

Edited by mikthe20

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Congrats OP, it's a real relief when doing that! Why still have £1 left to pay? - no need to just for the sake of the bank keeping the deeds for you - online deeds these days, I thought paper deeds were pretty meaningless (my solicitor has ours anyway, and stores them for free). Is it to have a good credit rating?

Deeds is one point, and I can borrow back the overpaid thousands at anytime (with 5 days notice) over the next 12 years, should I need to, at BofE base + 2% :)

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Well, all bar a pound. I've been on this forum for a good few years, and so have been working to make sure I'm safe from the vagaries of IR. I reckon I've paid about 175k all in for my smallish 4 bed boring and safe modern detached in the home counties, including making 90k on a house in London then trading down to play it safe. Thanks one and all for the sage advice. One less thing to worry about. A couple of family members think I should use the equity to get a buy to let now, oddly, I don't agree.

Nice. One less bankster with a purchase on your life. ................................Happy days. ;)

I don't see the point in saving to pay the mortgage off.

My personal preference is to keep my savings in my isas and that way it can pay off the mortgage if I chose but can use it as I please

With the mortgage paid off there is *currently* little chance of you ending up on the street, when e.g. you lose you job for a while.

And with ready cash - no temptation to spend it then? Zippy little Audi A3, Plasma Box. Kuoni holidays?

HOLA4420

but, but, but all that capital tied up is "dead money", make your money work for you......

well done to the OP - but is true to say that he missed one of the opportunities of a lifetime to buy stocks

god I'm a miserable git...

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Well done and join the club!

Paid my mine off at 40 and now working on a way to do a 4 day week at work..

According to a colleague a 4 day week = 5 days work, crammed into 4 days for 20% less pay.

If you are going to go part time, go for 3 days...

HTH

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Why the remaining £1 mortgage? I once did something similar to keep the discipline of maintaining the insurance correctly, until I found out what a huge premium the building society was demanding for house insurance!

Congrats OP, it's a real relief when doing that! Why still have £1 left to pay? - no need to just for the sake of the bank keeping the deeds for you - online deeds these days, I thought paper deeds were pretty meaningless. Is it to have a good credit rating? 

Deeds is one point, and I can borrow back the overpaid thousands at anytime (with 5 days notice) over the next 12 years, should I need to, at BofE base + 2% :)

HOLA4425