House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skirmish

Windows Vista - Any Good Now?

I've just discovered that Microsoft have now stopped supporting Windows XP Service Pack 2. I therefore thought it made sense to download and install SP3. For some deep technical reason though I can't and have discovered why on other forums. It involves making changes to the Registry and for some reason my system won't even let me do that.

Anyway, when I bought my PC new, part of the deal was a free upgrade to Vista. Having had no problems with XP I decided not to install the Vista especially as i heard early reports about it being problematic.

So, should I finally instally Vista, which I presume once loaded will then download all the previous fixes or should I stick with XP but with no MS support (whatever that means)

An advice gratefully received..............

I've just discovered that Microsoft have now stopped supporting Windows XP Service Pack 2. I therefore thought it made sense to download and install SP3. For some deep technical reason though I can't and have discovered why on other forums. It involves making changes to the Registry and for some reason my system won't even let me do that.

Anyway, when I bought my PC new, part of the deal was a free upgrade to Vista. Having had no problems with XP I decided not to install the Vista especially as i heard early reports about it being problematic.

So, should I finally instally Vista, which I presume once loaded will then download all the previous fixes or should I stick with XP but with no MS support (whatever that means)

Avoid Vista like the plague, especially if you don't have a squillion GB of memory.

Windows 7 is okay though, as was XP.

Avoid Vista like the plague, especially if you don't have a squillion GB of memory.

Windows 7 is okay though, as was XP.

That's a hard one if you are not going to spend any money.  You could stay unsupported, but will increasing find things don't work as new web technology etc is added to sites, or you could go to Vista which is fairly heavy and asks lots of security  questions all the time.

Personally I'd recommend Windows 7 - it really is very good, and well worth the price.

Personally I'd recommend Windows 7 - it really is very good, and well worth the price.

Win 7 is pretty good, but any changes to hardware means a phone call to re-activate it. For example, I changed a motherboard on my PC, had to get an activation code over the phone. I added a graphics card to a friends PC, had to phone for an activation code etc. etc.

Just a minor niggle, but an example of lazy development. Moving part of the 'overhead' of piracy detection to the customer.

Win 7 is pretty good, but any changes to hardware means a phone call to re-activate it. For example, I changed a motherboard on my PC, had to get an activation code over the phone. I added a graphics card to a friends PC, had to phone for an activation code etc. etc.

Just a minor niggle, but an example of lazy development. Moving part of the 'overhead' of piracy detection to the customer.

Was your licence OEM?

The motherboard isn't just some bit of hardware, in strict MS OEM EULA terms it is the componant the licence is tied to.

You probably knew that.

In an ideal situation I'd just make the switch from XP to 7 but the fact that I have the Vista CD in my possession does tempt me.

My PC has 2GB so would that be enough for Vista?

In an ideal situation I'd just make the switch from XP to 7 but the fact that I have the Vista CD in my possession does tempt me.

My PC has 2GB so would that be enough for Vista?

Vista had majority of its problems ironed out thru the service packs. It's only problem is the system resources/memory hogging.

If you have a powerful more modern say AGP 4600 series card you won't notice the difference! Woth getting an extra GB ram if you have Nvidia card.

Warning on socket A, Vista + Win 7 do not work with 3GB ram + ATI card.

Nvidia card, you need to do some fiddling in device manager to enable 3GB ram to work.

Download service pack two and whack vista on.

#Windows Vista Service Pack 2 also is not cumulative and requires at least SP1 to be present on an installed copy of Vista

Clean formatted hard drive install - forget the useless upgrade installs(too much trouble/baggage carried forward)

All your computer components and stuff like printer/scanner have to have special vista drivers to work though - so check M/sofy 'compatability' centre

I use Vista service pack 2 and it's pretty decent I'd say.

Of course, I didn't use it in the early days when it had all the problems but it's now September 2010 after all, not January 2007.

But you'd probably not regret choosing Windows 7 if your PC already has the spec for Vista.

This post is gibberish, your system is continually making changes to the Registry. Get SP3 here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

This post is gibberish, your system is continually making changes to the Registry. Get SP3 here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

And with respect so is yours.

I know where to download SP3 because I've done it. I also know how to then try and install it because I've done it.

Finally I know the outcome because I've seen it. Error message below

Windows XP SP3 Setup Error: Cannot Update a Checked (Debug) System with a Free (Retail) Version of Service Pack 3

The problem is known about and all the details are here

http://www.askvg.com/windows-xp-sp3-setup-error-cannot-update-a-checked-debug-system-with-a-free-retail-version-of-service-pack-3/

And with respect so is yours.

I know where to download SP3 because I've done it. I also know how to then try and install it because I've done it.

Finally I know the outcome because I've seen it. Error message below

Windows XP SP3 Setup Error: Cannot Update a Checked (Debug) System with a Free (Retail) Version of Service Pack 3

The problem is known about and all the details are here

http://www.askvg.com...service-pack-3/

1. Download and install the Subinacl.exe file from

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

2. Open Notepad and paste following code:

cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

3. Save the file with name "SP3.bat".

4. Now right-click on the file and select "Run as administrator". It might take some time to complete.

5. After completion, restart your system and now you should be able to install SP3.

http://www.askvg.com...cess-is-denied/

1. Download and install the Subinacl.exe file from

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

2. Open Notepad and paste following code:

cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

3. Save the file with name "SP3.bat".

4. Now right-click on the file and select "Run as administrator". It might take some time to complete.

5. After completion, restart your system and now you should be able to install SP3.

http://www.askvg.com...cess-is-denied/

Guess what?

Yes, the same error message I'm afraid.

The solution seems to be here

1. Open regedit and goto:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

2. In right-side pane look for a String value "CurrentType". Change its value to Checked and if its already set to Checked, then set it to Free and click on OK.

3. Exit registry editor and try to install SP3 again. Now it should install without any problem.

My problem though is that I don't really know what it means by the value being checked or free and how to do that?

Win7 is just a tweaked version of Vista tbh.... Win7 sucks an enormous amount of ram just to tick over though 800mb-1.7GB of ram used when it first opens up is quite normal.

Win7 is just a tweaked version of Vista tbh.... Win7 sucks an enormous amount of ram just to tick over though 800mb-1.7GB of ram used when it first opens up is quite normal.

It is, although I prefer to think of it as a finished version of Vista.

Was your licence OEM?

The motherboard isn't just some bit of hardware, in strict MS OEM EULA terms it is the componant the licence is tied to.

You probably knew that.

It was an OEM copy in both cases. I didn't know it was tied to the m/b in the OEM EULA tbh, thanks for that, however the 2nd case was the addition of a graphics card only. I wonder if disabling the on-board graphics was enough to kick of the activation???

The solution seems to be here

1. Open regedit and goto:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

2. In right-side pane look for a String value "CurrentType". Change its value to Checked and if its already set to Checked, then set it to Free and click on OK.

3. Exit registry editor and try to install SP3 again. Now it should install without any problem.

My problem though is that I don't really know what it means by the value being checked or free and how to do that?

You highlight/click once on "Current Version"

A pile of registry stuff appears in right hand pane

Double Click on "Current Type"

Under the 'Value Data' on my Win 7 registry is written

Multiprocessor Free

You must type it in Exactly as it is written ie with the caps/lower caps (but not in bold)

"Checked" usually means "ticked"

I don't know what is meant to be written in there on XP - the idiot giving the instructions doesn't make it plain. Do bit more research first!

I have a brand new PC downstairs with 7 on it (ordered last Month when I thought my vista machine was on the way out) turned out to be the video card which once changed made it as good as new.

To be honest I have never had any real issues with vista even when I only had 2gb of ram in the system (4gb now and it runs like a rolls).

This is a Dell is over 3 years old now and has a core duo E6750 running at 2.66Ghz.

Open the case and look at your ram slots. If you have 4 and there are two free source another 2 x 1Gb ram sticks and install them (easy enuf to do).

It will breathe new life into your system.

Crucial is the kiddie to get your ram from, they even have a software scanner on their web site which will tell you what you need (what banks are free) and how much it will cost you..

Linky

General question for the experts though.. Are we better off in this day and age purchasing 64 bit oper sys? They do support more memory and seem to be a little more future proof than the 32 bit versions?

You highlight/click once on "Current Version"

A pile of registry stuff appears in right hand pane

Double Click on "Current Type"

Under the 'Value Data' on my Win 7 registry is written

Multiprocessor Free

You must type it in Exactly as it is written ie with the caps/lower caps (but not in bold)

"Checked" usually means "ticked"

I don't know what is meant to be written in there on XP - the idiot giving the instructions doesn't make it plain. Do bit more research first!

I think I may have cracked it.

The value it showed in my registry was "Uniprocessor Free" - I changed that to 'Checked'

I started the SP3 Install and it seems to be working, it certainly got past the stage where it would not proceed.

Thanks for your help.

I have a brand new PC downstairs with 7 on it (ordered last Month when I thought my vista machine was on the way out) turned out to be the video card which once changed made it as good as new.

To be honest I have never had any real issues with vista even when I only had 2gb of ram in the system (4gb now and it runs like a rolls).

This is a Dell is over 3 years old now and has a core duo E6750 running at 2.66Ghz.

Open the case and look at your ram slots. If you have 4 and there are two free source another 2 x 1Gb ram sticks and install them (easy enuf to do).

It will breathe new life into your system.

Crucial is the kiddie to get your ram from, they even have a software scanner on their web site which will tell you what you need (what banks are free) and how much it will cost you..

Linky

General question for the experts though.. Are we better off in this day and age purchasing 64 bit oper sys? They do support more memory and seem to be a little more future proof than the 32 bit versions?

64-bit? - depends on what you want to use the PC for tbh - 64 bit is only really worth it if you've got some 64bit apps to run on it to take advantage of the bigger memory address space. If you're planning to run 32 bit apps then you'll find they can still only address a small subset of the available memory and to make it worse they run in a software emulator called a 32 wow exec that adds a layer of inefficency (they'll run a bit slower). Games are a good example of this - they tend to be entirely 32 bit.

And if thats not enough then there's the driver issues. If you've got a older printer or peripheral device - you'd better hope the vendor is still in business and has a 64 bit driver :)

Even MS is not phasing out 32 bit on servers for years and has no plans I've seen to phase it out on desktops at all.

64-bit? - depends on what you want to use the PC for tbh - 64 bit is only really worth it if you've got some 64bit apps to run on it to take advantage of the bigger memory address space. If you're planning to run 32 bit apps then you'll find they can still only address a small subset of the available memory and to make it worse they run in a software emulator called a 32 wow exec that adds a layer of inefficency (they'll run a bit slower). Games are a good example of this - they tend to be entirely 32 bit.

And if thats not enough then there's the driver issues. If you've got a older printer or peripheral device - you'd better hope the vendor is still in business and has a 64 bit driver :)

Even MS is not phasing out 32 bit on servers for years and has no plans I've seen to phase it out on desktops at all.

No games and fairly modern printer/scanner/fax. Only other things I plug in are removable USB drives and they have a universal driver.

Got a Dell i7 (studio) laptop with the HD screen (amazing price) <£500 from the factory outlet shop a few months ago and opted for the 64 bit windows 7. So far not run into any problems at all with it.

Ha!

Did i say I thought I'd cracked it?

Well SP3 did complete it's install. It then restarted and immediately locked up during the start up process.

Tried rebooting again a couple of times and started getting concerned. In the end I had to restart in Safe Mode and do a System Restore to get my PC back working again.

I've had enough now. It's going to remain a SP2 system as it all seems to work fine like that.

After years of getting messed around with microsoft upgrades/viruses/unstable systems. Systems requiring the use of expensive joke software like Norten etc, I bought a MAC. It's fab and one year on I have had not a single problem. Totally different 'experience' to microsoft.

Long may it continue.

Ironically it came with free microsoft for MAC software.... That went in the bin. Once bitten and all that.

I'd start saving for a MAC.

I'd start saving for a MAC.

And you'll be saving for a VERY LONG TIME, MACs are obsenely overpriced for what they are....

Have a look at the pic.

Actually MACs are no longer MACs anymore since they use standard PC hardware thesedays other than their notebooks. They are EXACTLY the same, you might as well just get a top of the line PC and stick Linux on it instead. :lol: